Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NewsMix Channel 352 - No More

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

You need to reread what I said. If you have fiber between the headend and the station, you are not on their public system (nor do you need every channel either). I am unaware of any household customer that has a fiber connection to TWC or Comcast's head end.

fiber to the node??

Some cable systems say they are fiber when they are not like fios fiber.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#202 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

I am not asking for documents. I am asking for a number. I suggested 5-10, you said I was very low. So give a number.

I believe you cannot give a number because the larger the number is the more ludicrous it will sound to your audience. I believe most people have already made their opinion about the validity of your claim. The claim: "I know for a fact that a large number of Broadcast Stations are in the process of terminating their commercial contracts with DirecTV as they used NewsMix on sets around the newsrooms."

Quite frankly ... I know SatelliteRacer, I have spoken with him before and he is a known reputable source when it comes to DirecTV channels and carriage issues. I don't know you. Your chosen screen name is all I know. So who should we believe?

All I asked for was a number - I will accept a range. If you cannot provide one that is fine. But don't expect people to take your claim seriously when you refuse to back it up.

I am just SomeRandomIdiot who laughs at what some people *think* they know. A careful read of my posts have easter eggs that indicate if I know the Industry or not.

I'm also very aware that I don't know everything about DirecTV, but that I know things others do not as well. I have yet to see a poster or mod post anything about the problems and reasons why EVERY DirecTV h.264 encoder was replaced starting with the Los Angeles Stations in October of last year, then the NY Stations on November 11, 2011 and then every mpeg4 encoder they own. Employees @ D* working with dbstalk mods beta testing firmware and IRDs have no idea what is going on in other areas such as uplink. Just as I do not know everything going on at every station, I sure know enough in areas that concern me.

To be fair dropping NewsMix is not 100% the reason, but as I stated earlier tonight, is in reality the straw that broke the camel's back.

The reasons include and are not limited to:

1) Rainfade the year at several outlets at less than the best time.
2) DirecTV cost structure and major MVPDs wanting to work with us inhouse.
3) DirecTV MFH does not work well with internal QAM networks as they are set up in house.
4) DirecTV screen saver every 4 hours and no way to disable has become a major issue. Yes, we can put individual monitors up for every channel but every 4 hours we get a screen saver on them and someone has to trigger a receiver - try doing that with 20+ receivers in a newsroom every 4 hours.
5) NewsMix broke the camel's back

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 17 December 2012 - 12:07 AM.

#203 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

fiber to the node??

Some cable systems say they are fiber when they are not like fios fiber.

I am well aware of fiber to the neighborhood and coax the final mile. That is standard operation in virtually all major cable operations these days. In most larger markets, very few households are further than a mile or so away from a fiber feed from the cable headend. When the first plane went into WTC on 9/11 with the ATSC transmitters on the roof, how do you think that the stations continued to broadcast on cable? Ditto for stations that towers goes down or Hurricanes causing issues at the transmitter sites.

LA and NY (for example) has a 19.2Mbps ASI feed of their ATSC signal to DirecTV and Dish for uplink (even though that includes the HD2 channels and is a waste of bandwidth as the DBS companies do not use them) which is identical to the signal they feed their transmitter. However, those fiber feeds to Dish and DirecTV are not a 2 way for obvious reasons.

However, the quote you reference has no mention of any of that. It stated fiber between the station and cable headend.

Virtually every local station of any importance now has a fiber link between their studios and the cable headend. As I stated, I know of no Comcast or TWC household that has that. I specifically did not state FiOS or Google.

Read what I posted - not what I did not post.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 17 December 2012 - 12:06 AM.

#204 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,328 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

This is the Christmas season, not Easter ... and you're still missing the basic question. :)

It seems like there was a lot more going on than "NewsMix". If you want to blame it on NewsMix that is fine. You and your undefined number of stations can do what they need to do. DirecTV can continue on with their plans.

If you were trying to make an impassioned plea to restore NewsMix and save those commercial contracts that would best be made direct via your DirecTV contacts.

Hopefully as this thread goes forward the discussion can be about NewsMix ... and not other issues.

#205 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

I am just SomeRandomIdiot who laughs at what some people *think* they know. A careful read of my posts have easter eggs that indicate if I know the Industry or not.

I'm also very aware that I don't know everything about DirecTV, but that I know things others do not as well. I have yet to see a poster or mod post anything about the problems and reasons why EVERY DirecTV h.264 encoder was replaced starting with the Los Angeles Stations in October of last year, then the NY Stations on November 11, 2011 and then every mpeg4 encoder they own. Employees @ D* working with dbstalk mods beta testing firmware and IRDs have no idea what is going on in other areas such as uplink. Just as I do not know everything going on at every station, I sure know enough in areas that concern me.

To be fair dropping NewsMix is not 100% the reason, but as I stated earlier tonight, is in reality the straw that broke the camel's back.

3) DirecTV MFH does not work well with internal QAM networks as they are set up in house.
4) DirecTV screen saver every 4 hours and no way to disable has become a major issue. Yes, we can put individual monitors up for every channel but every 4 hours we get a screen saver on them and someone has to trigger a receiver - try doing that with 20+ receivers in a newsroom every 4 hours.

As you still avoid answering the most basic of questions! HAHA! Truly hilarious.
DTV = Digital Television

#206 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:09 AM

According to the Washington Post, CNN reported the wrong person for at least 1 hour. I believe ABC did as well.

http://www.washingto...m-lanza-mis-id/

And from CNN's own website, 3 WRONG pieces of information in 3 sentences.

[Updated at 3:09 p.m. ET] The suspect's mother was shot and killed at the school, according to source close to the investigation. She was a teacher there.

And we now know that Ryan Lanza, the suspected gunman, was 24.

http://news.blogs.cn...mentary-school/

And even ABC:

"In the early confusion surrounding the investigation, federal sources initially identified the suspect as Adam's older brother Ryan Lanza, 24. Identification belonging to Ryan Lanza was found at the shooting scene, federal sources told ABC News."

Pay special attention to the url:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/gunman-identified-ryan-lanza-connecticut-school-massacre/story?id=17973836

If we waited until Law Enforcement Officials to officially release the name, we would have waited until 5pm today (Sunday) almost 60 hours after the event in which they knew the gunman was dead prior to 10AM Friday.

Imagine that. Personally, I have a problem with that. If Law Enforcement had been forthcoming with info, there would have been no reason for the bad info (Law Enforcement Communications stated the shooter was dead and the situation was under control - though more emergency vehicles for victims was needed at 9:50AM).

Just imagine if the 4th Estate did not report on Watergate, Iraq or Bengazi - but come to think of it, most have not followed up on Bengazi the way they should have.

Of course, they did not follow up to Watergate before the 1972 election either.

Personally, waiting for the "official" word is not what the founders of this Country imagined when they put Freedom of the Press as the #1 priority.

EDIT:

Checking sources, CNN IDed the shooter as Ryan Lanza at 2:15 PM, FNC followed suit at 2:21 and MSNBC at 2:25. So not only were you wrong about CNN NOT making a mistake, they were the FIRST of the Cable News Channels to report it incorrectly.

I do not understand how the presence or absence of a news mix channel on DirecTV makes any difference in any of this, or how having the correct information minutes or even hours sooner would have any effect on the outcome. How did we as a nation survive for the 172 years that the country existed before there was television?

I agree that freedom of the press is important, but having news organizations fight to see who can be first to report what is usually incorrect information does not enhance the function of the press or make any difference to the people at large. Having cameras focused on the fire house where parents were anxously trying to determine whether their child was alive or dead served absoultely no purpose. Unless it is a case where there is some action that I need to take immediately, I have no problem waiting a few hours or even a few days to get the truth. I would actually prefer that to all of the speculation that is being broadcast just to fill time on the air before the truth is known.

Also, whether there is a news mix channel or not, all of the news outlets are available in DirecTV. I do not understand why this is an issue for anyone.

#207 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

Okay. Now I am calling bull****.

#4. Individual channels do NOT go into screensaver mode unless they are paused. Ever.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#208 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,859 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

Okay. Now I am calling bull****.

#4. Individual channels do NOT go into screensaver mode unless they are paused. Ever.

Normally they do not or should not. I have never left my TV on one spot longenough without touching the remote to find out if it is true or false.

However, there are many threads like the one in this link that have the problems with the screen saver coming on the TV when it is not supposed to do it.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ht=screen saver

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#209 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

Normally they do not or should not. I have never left my TV on one spot longenough without touching the remote to find out if it is true or false.

However, there are many threads like the one in this link that have the problems with the screen saver coming on the TV when it is not supposed to do it.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ht=screen saver

Sure you do unless you turn off you dvr. Go to bed. Wake up next morning. No screensaver.

They are talking about the mix channel or pausing. He was claiming the individual channels do it.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#210 ONLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,169 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

Checking sources, CNN IDed the shooter as Ryan Lanza at 2:15 PM, FNC followed suit at 2:21 and MSNBC at 2:25. So not only were you wrong about CNN NOT making a mistake, they were the FIRST of the Cable News Channels to report it incorrectly.

If you would read the post I said they DID name him, what they did NOT do was keep a facebook photo of the wrong guy on the screen hours after word came out that he was actively posting saying it was not him as it would have been a clear indicator that either (a) they found the facebook page of the wrong guy and should stop showing the picture until they got further information or (B) the source who wasn't authorized to release the info, which we later learned was for obvious reasons, got the name wrong.

Edited by KyL416, 17 December 2012 - 01:57 PM.

#211 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,279 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

Actually everyone has been talking about how it looks like DIRECTV has been updating all their encoders for a while now...

Really? Local cable companies have offered to come in and replace all DIRECTV hardware for free and then charge the same or less than DIRECTV did, knowing commercial accounts are far more expensive? In a down economy? I see. N real gain for any provider to offer discounts to commercial accounts, even if its just for installing.

Number 3 makes by far the most since, maybe....

And what about the screen saver? I have never seen this. It doesn't just automatically come on every four hours on any box I have. What box is doing that?

Oh, and I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing that local stations rely on dtvs national news mix channel for much, as I would expect them to have a bank of tvs for all the local channels already which have never had mix channels, and then a few dedicated to several different national news channels, probably more than what dtvs news mix channel even had.

#212 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,558 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

Any chance this is the Power Save function, that turns off the box? That would affect it if it was set to live TV for that long and wasn't touched.

Of course that can also be turned off.

#213 OFFLINE   majormax69

majormax69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

Now, tell us more about how many stations are cancelling DirecTV over NewsMix?

I have to admit after all My gripes.. You have a very good point there!! :nono:
That could even go both ways.. : "How many have DirecTv dropped...":confused:

#214 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,218 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

Well the recent Connecticut shooting showed me what a pain in the butt it is now to find news on anything but the latest main news event without the mix channel.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

Protected By... spam firewall...And...