Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NewsMix Channel 352 - No More

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

Where do you put TLC? Education or entertainment.

When was the last time you saw educational programming on TLC? And, no, "Extreme Cougar Wives" doesn't count. ;)
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:45 AM

Shopping Mix! Now that is a channel I could get in to...hunting and killing.

I use a custom guide list so I only see the channels I want to see. What I really want is a way to reorganize them into my own groupings. I hate CNN is not with the other new channels and Smithsonian is not with the Discovery type channels.

DirecTV really needs to get their act together when it comes to channel groupings. There are so many single channels just littered across the guide nowhere near like channels.

While I agree that CNN and HLN should be grouped with the other news channels Smithsonian is part of HD Extra Pack and is properly grouped with the other channels that come with that package. Other than CNN and HLN DirecTV has done a excellent job with channel grouping.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#23 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,635 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:26 AM

When was the last time you saw educational programming on TLC? And, no, "Extreme Cougar Wives" doesn't count. ;)

My point. Channels change format. Do you move them? Sometimes the change is gradual or mixed like the History channel.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#24 OFFLINE   TzTerri

TzTerri

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

I can not begin to express how upset I am about the News Mix channel being discontinued.

#25 OFFLINE   TzTerri

TzTerri

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

Seems that a lot of people of pretty upset doing a Google search.

#26 OFFLINE   TzTerri

TzTerri

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

I used this channel 5 days a week for keeping up on the day's events while trading stocks.

#27 OFFLINE   TzTerri

TzTerri

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

I don't have five posts yet so can't post a link but will in a few more posts

#28 OFFLINE   TzTerri

TzTerri

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

Just one more post to go so that I can post a link to the Facebook thread. :)

#29 OFFLINE   TzTerri

TzTerri

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

Here is the FaceBook thread on DirecTV's page.
https://www.facebook...ent_id=25974593

#30 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:41 AM

Seems that a lot of people of pretty upset doing a Google search.

I wouldn't say a lot, given how many customers there are. You still have the channels themselves.

#31 OFFLINE   ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

I enjoyed the Newsmix channel myself. Being able to switch among the channels was rather nice....being able to see which had commercials on them or news. Switching from one to another on my HR20-100 is time consuming process since the last software update.

Why still display those two channels with the DTV logo and music? Why not just do away with the channel? Someone please educate me on this. I'm a dummy when it comes to the way DTV operates it's satellites...etc.....
Yes, I have a television that I watch from time to time.

#32 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

I enjoyed the Newsmix channel myself. Being able to switch among the channels was rather nice....being able to see which had commercials on them or news. Switching from one to another on my HR20-100 is time consuming process since the last software update.

Why still display those two channels with the DTV logo and music? Why not just do away with the channel? Someone please educate me on this. I'm a dummy when it comes to the way DTV operates it's satellites...etc.....

The DTV logo with the music is 1 channel, and it's virtually mapped to each channel where there is no content, or where they are waiting for an event to take place...

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#33 ONLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

Surfing the individual channels originally included in the news mix would be a lot less distasteful if the DirecTV equipment wasn't so maddeningly slow at changing channels.

Being able to arrow from channel to channel and having the audio switch nearly immediately was a very nice tool for monitoring the news across the mix channels.

Having to punch in 202...wait 4-5 seconds...punch in 356...wait another 4-5 seconds...etc just doesn't quite do it for me. Especially since you don't have the visibility that the mix provided as to whether or not a channel is currently in a commercial break. You can end up taking 10 seconds or longer just to move from one channel to another viable news source.

And let's not even go into the absence of PIP and the ability to hot-swap two PIP channels.

Double-Play can be used as a weak-tea substitute encompassing only two channels but doesn't replace the mix by any stretch.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#34 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,763 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

Does anyone know why they took it down?

It's times like these when I wish someone from D* (SR?) would chime in and tell us what's going on.

We have a Dish Response Team, why can't we get D* response team?

#35 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

:mad:

For the News Junkie or those trading stock during the day this was a must and a key reason for subbing to Directv!

And their explanation shows no concept of the viewers. People using NewsMix are not going to switch to Disney Jr or a Sports Channel.

www.directv.com/newsmix

"The News Mix Channel has been replaced by several new 24/7 channels including Disney Jr (Ch. 289), BeIn Sport (Ch. 620), Time Warner Cable SportsNet (Ch. 691) and Time Warner Cable Deportes (Ch. 458). Plus, you can still find the full-time news channels that were featured in the News Mix in their current channel positions"

I find their explanation quite deplorable actually.... "We killed NEWSmix because we gave you a KIDS channel and 2 SPORTS channels".

Newsmix is an SD channel, so it doesn't take all that much bandwidth. I would imagine it is "pre-mixed" on the ground and sent up as 1 SD feed, with nifty programming/software in the tuner boxes in homes allowing people to tune in to the audio feed of the channels displayed. It wouldn't take a lot of bandwidth, really.

It would have been more believable if they just said "We believe there is decreased interest in the channel and decided to remove it".
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#36 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Where do you put TLC? Education or entertainment.

The Disgrace Channel.

Every time I tune in to that channel some show is on that I hope to dear God is not exported to other nations to increase their stereotypical views of Americans. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#37 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

I believe it has been said that the mix channels take up about 2 channels worth of bandwidth. My guess is that DirecTV is running so low on space for the SD channels that they looked at the viewership of the News Mix channel and decided that it wasn't worth keeping anymore. So now they have gotten rid of it and have room for two more SD channels. Maybe this means we will be seeing more channels added soon.

I think the press release is just showing that they have added more SD channels lately, and thus have needed to get rid of the News Mix channel in order to make more room. They probably feel safer saying that then putting out a press release saying they got rid of it so they could add channels X and Y next month, and then deal with a big backlash if something happens that keeps them from adding channels X and Y. Pretty much the same reason they don't really announce new HD channels before they are added.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#38 OFFLINE   LDighera

LDighera

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

DirecTV is great! I've been a subscriber since July 2004 (8-1/2 years), and been very satisfied with their customer service and telephone and on-site technical service.

However, the inability to receive PBS in HD is absurd; I receive PBS in SD, so it's not a market issue. It appears to be a political issue. DirecTV appears to have the same respect for PBS that the GOP presidential nominee has. Bah!

My HD DVRs' lack of response to remote control commands is so infuriating at times as to cause me to cease viewing. Immediate feedback to user input is fundamental to user interface ergonomics. DirecTV programmers and equipment specifiers need to get a clue, and provide more professionalism in their offerings.

While I applaud the recent inactivity timeout function, it's fundamentally flawed. A FIXED four hour inactivity period is unacceptable; the period should be a Setup choice. My projector employs a rather expensive xenon lamp with a ~1,800 hour life. The projector will turn itself off after a period of no input signal, which could save me considerable expense in replacement lamps that burn out quickly when I fall asleep with the projector on. But the DirecTV inactivity timer waits way too long to be of any use in prolonging the life of my projector's lamp by cutting the video signal. Another example of poorly executed DirecTV equipment programming. PLEEEEEZZZZZEEE!!!

Now, the final straw. News Mix disappears without warning, explanation, apology nor compensation! Worse is DirecTV's response to subscribers' outcry at the loss of what is likely a very popular channel; DirecTV's deleting the News Mix thread from their forum, and stonewalling is further evidence of DirecTV's lack of professionalism and unethical practices.

Here is what one subscriber advocates to be heard by DirecTV management: http://direct-tv.pis...1127362685.html

"call and complain!!! 310 964-5000. Talked to the assistant to, Michael White, DirecTV president, at 2230 E Imperial Highway El Segundo, CA 90245. "

Another subscriber provided this information to make DirecTV pay for their stupidity:

"I called and got $20 off my bill for 12 months."

I'm paying over $160.00 month for DirecTV service due to being forced to receive a deluge of sports programming, or lose the informative channels bundled with them. I feel abused, exploited, and disrespected.

You can rest assured that I'll be placing a call to Mr. White immediately after posting this tirade.

Larry Dighera
LDighera@att.net

Edited by LDighera, 29 November 2012 - 02:47 AM.

#39 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

However, the inability to receive PBS in HD is absurd; I receive PBS in SD, so it's not a market issue. It appears to be a political issue. DirecTV appears to have the same respect for PBS that the GOP presidential nominee has. Bah!

First off, the elections are over.... so there are no more nominees. I'm glad about the outcome, but no reason to bring politics in to this.

Second, if you indeed live in the Southern California area as your profile says, PBS in HD can be seen on channel 50, KOCE in glorious HD.

If you do not get that channel in HD, there is a technical problem, because I have had that channel in HD - and watch it regularly - for years.

Furthermore, KCET, which was formerly associated with PBS but is now independent, also is in HD on channel 28, with a large variety of programming that is equal to PBS in quality.

By the way.... the sentence "final straw" usually indicates that you are no longer proceeding to continue the path you were on, but have chosen to go a different path. The "final straw" would indicate you wouldn't be calling DirecTV just to complain, but to actually cancel your service and move to another service who does have a News Mix. Oh, wait.... :D

Nope. Although I deplore the reason given by DirecTV (we replaced it with kids and sports channels, COME ON! I could come up with a better reason than that), removing this channel isn't going to make customers leave, because no other carrier actually has a news mix channel. As far as I know.

Edited by maartena, 28 November 2012 - 01:28 PM.

I am the Stig.

#40 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

DirecTV is great! I've been a subscriber since July 2004 (8-1/2 years), and been very satisfied with their customer service and telephone and on-site technical service.

My HD DVRs' lack of response to remote control commands is so infuriating at times as to cause me to cease viewing. Immediate feedback to user input is fundamental to user interface ergonomics. DirecTV programmers and equipment specifiers need to get a clue, and provide more professionalism in their offerings.

While I applaud the recent inactivity timeout function, it's fundamentally flawed. A FIXED four hour inactivity period is unacceptable; the period should be a Setup choice. My projector employs a rather expensive xenon lamp with a ~1,800 hour life. The projector will turn itself off after a period of no input signal, which could save me considerable expense in replacement lamps that burn out quickly when I fall asleep with the projector on. But the DirecTV inactivity timer waits way to long to be of any use in prolonging the life of my projector's lamp by cutting the video signal. Another example of poorly executed DirecTV equipment programming. PLEEEEEZZZZZEEE!!!

Now, the final straw. News Mix disappears without warning, explanation, apology nor compensation! Worse is DirecTV's response to subscribers' outcry at the loss of what is likely a very popular channel; DirecTV's deleting the News Mix thread from their forum, and stonewalling is further evidence of DirecTV's lack of professionalism and unethical practices.

Here is what one subscriber advocates to be heard by DirecTV management: http://direct-tv.pis...1127362685.html
"call and complain!!! 310 964-5000. Talked to the assistant to, Michael White, DirecTV president, at 2230 E Imperial Highway El Segundo, CA 90245. "

Another subscriber provided this information to make DirecTV pay for their stupidity:

"I called and got $20 off my bill for 12 months."

I'm paying over $160.00 month for DirecTV service due to being forced to receive a deluge of sports programming, or lose the informative channels bundled with them. I feel abused, exploited, and disrespected.

You can rest assured that I'll be placing a call to Mr. White immediately after posting this tirade.

Larry Dighera
LDighera@att.net

Please stop yelling. It took me a long time to edit your post so I could read it. They don't owe you anything for removing the news mix.

Programming, pricing, terms and conditions subject to change. Taxes not included. Receipt of DIRECTV programming is subject to the terms of the DIRECTV Customer Agreement; a copy is provided here at directv.com and with your first billing statement. Hardware and programming sold separately. Equipment specifications and programming options may vary in Alaska and Hawaii. See your retailer for equipment requirements in your area. DIRECTV services not provided outside the U.S.

http://www.directv.c..._and_conditions

Edited by Hoosier205, 28 November 2012 - 01:31 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...