Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NewsMix Channel 352 - No More

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,216 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

FiOS doesn't carry a news mix channel but it does provide BBC World News and CNN International, although both are SD rather than HD channels.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

FiOS doesn't carry a news mix channel but it does provide BBC World News and CNN International, although both are SD rather than HD channels.

CNN International and BBC World News are not carried in HD yet beyond the European ASTRA Satellites, so that would explain that. In Europe both channels CAN be received in HD, as they both originate from London. CNN International and CNN US do carry each-others feeds in times of breaking news/crisis, but that feed is also in SD, and just imposed on top of the CNN US channel.

That said, I would rather have those two channels in SD than not at all. News channels to me are about the information, the value of the news content.... I don't necessarily need that in HD, nor would I refuse to watch it because it isn't in HD.

As a matter of fact, I would gladly give up CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC in HD in favor of 3 other HD channels. (Of course I would NEED MSNBC to be HD around the Olympics... :D )
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#43 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 545 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

I've got BBC World in HD via my Roku, though CNNI is still in SD at this point. In any event, it was well worth the addition to my DirecTV system.
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#44 OFFLINE   LDighera

LDighera

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

Now, the final straw. News Mix disappears without warning, explanation, apology nor compensation! Worse is DirecTV's response to subscribers' outcry at the loss of what is likely a very popular channel; DirecTV's deleting the News Mix thread from their forum, and stonewalling is further evidence of DirecTV's lack of professionalism and unethical practices.

Now that my indignation has had an opportunity to subside a bit, I'm wondering why DirecTV Customer Service is just repeating the party line instead of actually providing meaningful customer assistance.

I sent them a copy of my post above, and here's the response I received from DirecTV Customer Support:

Subject: My Response to Loss of News Mix [Reference #:121128-002023]
<directvcustomercare@directv.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 11:26:22 -0800 (PST)

Response
---------------------------------------------------------------
The News Mix Channel is being replaced by several exciting new 24X7 channels including Disney Jr, BeIn Sports, TWC SportsNet and TWC Deportes. Plus, you can still find the full time news channels that were showcased in News Mix in their current channel positions. In addition, we will continue to offer select Mix Channel experiences around key events such as the recent Election Mix, Olympics Mix and Mix channels for all Grand Slam Golf and Tennis events.

Sincerely,
DIRECTV Customer Care
Discussion Thread

Instead of trying to foist kids and sports programming fluff off as being meaningful to a subscriber who's interested in real-world news and politics, perhaps they might have actually expended the effort and thought to provide a relevant and useful workaround for those who need to monitor the news.

[TA Edison used to have this posted in every one of his laboratories and offices:

There is no expedient to which a man will not resort
to avoid the real labor of thinking.
-- Sir Joshua Reynolds ]

How much more helpful would it have been for DirecTV Customer Service to have said:

"Just program all the news channels into a custom channel list, and select that list when you want to view news."

At least that would have been relevant and useful.

While it doesn't provide the full functionality of simultaneously viewing eight channels, it is supported by the equipment, and far preferable to the banal blather I received from DirecTV Customer Service.

I guess I expect too much of DirecTV. Disappointing.... :nono2:

#45 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

Now that my indignation has had an opportunity to subside a bit, I'm wondering why DirecTV Customer Service is just repeating the party line instead of actually providing meaningful customer assistance.

I sent them a copy of my post above, and here's the response I received from DirecTV Customer Support:

Subject: My Response to Loss of News Mix [Reference #:121128-002023]
<directvcustomercare@directv.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 11:26:22 -0800 (PST)

Response
---------------------------------------------------------------
The News Mix Channel is being replaced by several exciting new 24X7 channels including Disney Jr, BeIn Sports, TWC SportsNet and TWC Deportes. Plus, you can still find the full time news channels that were showcased in News Mix in their current channel positions. In addition, we will continue to offer select Mix Channel experiences around key events such as the recent Election Mix, Olympics Mix and Mix channels for all Grand Slam Golf and Tennis events.

Sincerely,
DIRECTV Customer Care
Discussion Thread

Instead of trying to foist kids and sports programming fluff off as being meaningful to a subscriber who's interested in real-world news and politics, perhaps they might have actually expended the effort and thought to provide a relevant and useful workaround for those who need to monitor the news.

[TA Edison used to have this posted in every one of his laboratories and offices:

There is no expedient to which a man will not resort
to avoid the real labor of thinking.
-- Sir Joshua Reynolds ]

How much more helpful would it have been for DirecTV Customer Service to have said:

"Just program all the news channels into a custom channel list, and select that list when you want to view news."

At least that would have been relevant and useful.

While it doesn't provide the full functionality of simultaneously viewing eight channels, it is supported by the equipment, and far preferable to the banal blather I received from DirecTV Customer Service.

I guess I expect too much of DirecTV. Disappointing.... :nono2:

You received the standard response they will send to those complaining about this topic. They have more than 20 million customers...you need to be realistic. Now you are complaining because they didn't recommend something you had already thought of. It's a form letter. Welcome to 2012. If you want a more personal experience, call them and have an actual conversation.

I can tell you this: if they had data that showed the news mix was popular enough, it would still be there. It's just a remap of channels they already have. It obviously wasn't worth the capacity it took up.
DTV = Digital Television

#46 OFFLINE   majormax69

majormax69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

It is DOPE!! That they Dumped the News Mix and it has nothing to do with Bandwidth.. It is Political.. but you can figure that out.

The really big problem about this is Millions of people Subscribed to DirecTv because of this "DTV Experience".. They simply just took the "Experience" away..

Go Figure!! My Opinion! It was a fatal decision.. They should take ALL the Mix Channels away.. Then Everyone is happy! :-(

Edited by majormax69, 28 November 2012 - 10:22 PM.

#47 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

It is DOPE!! That they Dumped the News Mix and it has nothing to do with Bandwidth.. It is Political.. but you can figure that out.

The really big problem about this is Millions of people Subscribed to DirecTv because of this "DTV Experience".. They simply just took the "Experience" away..

Go Figure!! My Opinion! It was a fatal decision.. They should take ALL the Mix Channels away.. Then Everyone is happy! :-(

...what? How was it political?
DTV = Digital Television

#48 OFFLINE   majormax69

majormax69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

Won't get into politics.. But a little bird told me after this standoff with Gannett.. It will be back by the end of the year...

#49 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

DirecTV is great! I've been a subscriber since July 2004 (8-1/2 years), and been very satisfied with their customer service and telephone and on-site technical service.

However, the inability to receive PBS in HD is absurd; I receive PBS in SD, so it's not a market issue. It appears to be a political issue. DirecTV appears to have the same respect for PBS that the GOP presidential nominee has. Bah!

My HD DVRs' lack of response to remote control commands is so infuriating at times as to cause me to cease viewing. Immediate feedback to user input is fundamental to user interface ergonomics. DirecTV programmers and equipment specifiers need to get a clue, and provide more professionalism in their offerings.

While I applaud the recent inactivity timeout function, it's fundamentally flawed. A FIXED four hour inactivity period is unacceptable; the period should be a Setup choice. My projector employs a rather expensive xenon lamp with a ~1,800 hour life. The projector will turn itself off after a period of no input signal, which could save me considerable expense in replacement lamps that burn out quickly when I fall asleep with the projector on. But the DirecTV inactivity timer waits way to long to be of any use in prolonging the life of my projector's lamp by cutting the video signal. Another example of poorly executed DirecTV equipment programming. PLEEEEEZZZZZEEE!!!

Now, the final straw. News Mix disappears without warning, explanation, apology nor compensation! Worse is DirecTV's response to subscribers' outcry at the loss of what is likely a very popular channel; DirecTV's deleting the News Mix thread from their forum, and stonewalling is further evidence of DirecTV's lack of professionalism and unethical practices.

Here is what one subscriber advocates to be heard by DirecTV management: http://direct-tv.pis...1127362685.html

"call and complain!!! 310 964-5000. Talked to the assistant to, Michael White, DirecTV president, at 2230 E Imperial Highway El Segundo, CA 90245. "

Another subscriber provided this information to make DirecTV pay for their stupidity:

"I called and got $20 off my bill for 12 months."

I'm paying over $160.00 month for DirecTV service due to being forced to receive a deluge of sports programming, or lose the informative channels bundled with them. I feel abused, exploited, and disrespected.

You can rest assured that I'll be placing a call to Mr. White immediately after posting this tirade.

Larry Dighera
LDighera@att.net

And by the way, if you have that expensive a projector, why on earth would you ever rely on a time out to turn it off. When your done watching it, turn it off yourself. The four hours was chosen because many people watch a football game that can easily last that long without touching the remote. Its not the kind of thing they want you to be able to change, that just causes issues because too many people just don;t get options.

With all that said, really? Its not liek they took away any actual programing here. I would understand if they had, but they didn't.

Now with that said, I wonder why DIrectv didn't simply move this to another sat (99 or 103) and make it mpeg4 only... That might have made the majority happy. Although the true long term solution would be to have all hd mix channels after d14 is up and running.

#50 OFFLINE   LDighera

LDighera

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:43 AM

And by the way, if you have that expensive a projector, why on earth would you ever rely on a time out to turn it off. When your done watching it, turn it off yourself. The four hours was chosen because many people watch a football game that can easily last that long without touching the remote. Its not the kind of thing they want you to be able to change, that just causes issues because too many people just don;t get options.

Thank you for the information you provided.

The reason I don't turn the projector off myself was contained in my original post to which you responded.

I know of no way to turn the projector off automatically, other than it's built-in loss-of-video-signal-input timer. If I put a plug-in timer between the projector power cord and the wall outlet, it will not permit the projector to run its fan after the lamp is initially powered off and properly cool the lamp as it apparently must do. The projector, a Sharp XV-Z12000, is intelligent enough to turn itself off when it has received no video input signal for an extended period of time.

As a potential workaround, I set the HD-DVR, an HR-24 (as I recall), viewing period to end at 2:00 AM in the hope that the DVR might shut off the video signal at that time, but it doesn't. The price of the projector lamp is ~$500.00.

So, from what you say, DirecTV has made a decision to intentionally cripple its DVR so as not to confuse sports fans. Pathetic!

I am able to refer the DirecTV programming staff to an intelligent programmer/consultant who is an absolute genius Unix and C guru; just say the word. :D

Edited by LDighera, 29 November 2012 - 02:58 AM.

#51 OFFLINE   majormax69

majormax69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:05 AM

Its not the kind of thing they want you to be able to change, that just causes issues because too many people just don;t get options..

Did you Really say that!! Yikes!! Beacons me back to the days when we had figure out how to get our VCR from flashing 12:00 12:00 12:00

( among MANY options that are still " Dumbed" out )

Settings: Powersaver > Off , 1 hour , 2 hours...

And this one would really throw me for loop:
Screen saver: On, Off

Get My Drift.. Unfortunately he is right.. But I don't think it is the consumer that is dumb.. They just don't want to teach the staff to ,,,,, Carry On..:P

#52 OFFLINE   myselfalso

myselfalso

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:06 AM

I don't have a problem with them getting rid of the NewsMix channel.

I do have a problem with them claiming it's because they lit up 3 24/7 channels that have unrelated content. The least they could have done was add 3 24/7 news channels and said that's why they were doing it. It's not like there aren't any news channels available to add.
I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 2005.

A few channels I'd still like to see DirecTV add are:
CSPAN3, the PAC-12 Network(s), BBC World and more international news channels.

#53 OFFLINE   majormax69

majormax69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:28 AM

TOTALLY AGREE!!!! ... Appease us and at least offer us 3 new news channels!!! and a little international flavor would be nice.

Edited by majormax69, 29 November 2012 - 04:33 AM.

#54 OFFLINE   majormax69

majormax69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:25 AM

Not that I minded.. But why did they just started to Swap HLN and Current channel ( Day and night) and then just pull the newsmix all together? Hmmm

Something is up!! and I cant wait for the return... To be honest.. I always thought that FOX was upset because their channels were not first on the left... :hurah:

#55 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

Won't get into politics.. But a little bird told me after this standoff with Gannett.. It will be back by the end of the year...

Can you elaborate? Does Gannett have an ownership interest in one of the channels previously included in the News Mix channel or something?
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#56 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 679 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

Gannett has nothing to do with any channels that were on NewsMix

CNN/HLN = Time Warner
Bloomberg = Bloomberg
CNBC/MSNBC/TWC = NBC Universal
Fox Business/Fox News = Fox
Current = Al Gore

Gannett = USA Today, some daily Newspapers around the Country and a few individual TV Stations in cities such as Atlanta, Tampa and Denver.

#57 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 679 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

To replicate NewsMix one would need

8 Monitors - @ $200 each (if on sale) = $1600 outlay
8 DVRs - @ $200 each = $1600 outlay
Another SWiM 16 and a SWME2 to do it in a DirecTV approved way = $200 outlay
+8 Receivers on your bill monthly = $48 a month and roughly $550 extra a year

Remote Control Integration for 8 units? I cannot even begin to put a price on that.

Bottom line, for 1 SD channel of bandwidth, it would cost one sub over $4k the first year alone to replicate the service.

#58 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

You won't get into politics? YOU were the one who said it was political. FYI - none of the news mix channels were associated with Gannett.
DTV = Digital Television

#59 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

When was the last time you saw educational programming on TLC? And, no, "Extreme Cougar Wives" doesn't count. ;)

Well, it actually stands for "The Learning Channel". You ARE learning something, aren't you?

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#60 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 141 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

To replicate NewsMix one would need

8 Monitors - @ $200 each (if on sale) = $1600 outlay
8 DVRs - @ $200 each = $1600 outlay
Another SWiM 16 and a SWME2 to do it in a DirecTV approved way = $200 outlay
+8 Receivers on your bill monthly = $48 a month and roughly $550 extra a year

Remote Control Integration for 8 units? I cannot even begin to put a price on that.

Bottom line, for 1 SD channel of bandwidth, it would cost one sub over $4k the first year alone to replicate the service.

Actually, if you really want to replicate NewsMix, you would need really tiny monitors, wouldn't you? :lol:

spam firewall