Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NewsMix Channel 352 - No More

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   majormax69

majormax69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:05 AM

Its not the kind of thing they want you to be able to change, that just causes issues because too many people just don;t get options..

Did you Really say that!! Yikes!! Beacons me back to the days when we had figure out how to get our VCR from flashing 12:00 12:00 12:00

( among MANY options that are still " Dumbed" out )

Settings: Powersaver > Off , 1 hour , 2 hours...

And this one would really throw me for loop:
Screen saver: On, Off

Get My Drift.. Unfortunately he is right.. But I don't think it is the consumer that is dumb.. They just don't want to teach the staff to ,,,,, Carry On..:P

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   myselfalso

myselfalso

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:06 AM

I don't have a problem with them getting rid of the NewsMix channel.

I do have a problem with them claiming it's because they lit up 3 24/7 channels that have unrelated content. The least they could have done was add 3 24/7 news channels and said that's why they were doing it. It's not like there aren't any news channels available to add.
I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 2005.

A few channels I'd still like to see DirecTV add are:
CSPAN3, the PAC-12 Network(s), BBC World and more international news channels.

#53 OFFLINE   majormax69

majormax69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:28 AM

TOTALLY AGREE!!!! ... Appease us and at least offer us 3 new news channels!!! and a little international flavor would be nice.

Edited by majormax69, 29 November 2012 - 04:33 AM.

#54 OFFLINE   majormax69

majormax69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:25 AM

Not that I minded.. But why did they just started to Swap HLN and Current channel ( Day and night) and then just pull the newsmix all together? Hmmm

Something is up!! and I cant wait for the return... To be honest.. I always thought that FOX was upset because their channels were not first on the left... :hurah:

#55 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

Won't get into politics.. But a little bird told me after this standoff with Gannett.. It will be back by the end of the year...

Can you elaborate? Does Gannett have an ownership interest in one of the channels previously included in the News Mix channel or something?
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#56 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

Won't get into politics.. But a little bird told me after this standoff with Gannett.. It will be back by the end of the year...

Gannett has nothing to do with any channels that were on NewsMix

CNN/HLN = Time Warner
Bloomberg = Bloomberg
CNBC/MSNBC/TWC = NBC Universal
Fox Business/Fox News = Fox
Current = Al Gore

Gannett = USA Today, some daily Newspapers around the Country and a few individual TV Stations in cities such as Atlanta, Tampa and Denver.

#57 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

To replicate NewsMix one would need

8 Monitors - @ $200 each (if on sale) = $1600 outlay
8 DVRs - @ $200 each = $1600 outlay
Another SWiM 16 and a SWME2 to do it in a DirecTV approved way = $200 outlay
+8 Receivers on your bill monthly = $48 a month and roughly $550 extra a year

Remote Control Integration for 8 units? I cannot even begin to put a price on that.

Bottom line, for 1 SD channel of bandwidth, it would cost one sub over $4k the first year alone to replicate the service.

#58 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,658 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

You won't get into politics? YOU were the one who said it was political. FYI - none of the news mix channels were associated with Gannett.
DTV = Digital Television

#59 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

When was the last time you saw educational programming on TLC? And, no, "Extreme Cougar Wives" doesn't count. ;)

Well, it actually stands for "The Learning Channel". You ARE learning something, aren't you?

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#60 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 175 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

To replicate NewsMix one would need

8 Monitors - @ $200 each (if on sale) = $1600 outlay
8 DVRs - @ $200 each = $1600 outlay
Another SWiM 16 and a SWME2 to do it in a DirecTV approved way = $200 outlay
+8 Receivers on your bill monthly = $48 a month and roughly $550 extra a year

Remote Control Integration for 8 units? I cannot even begin to put a price on that.

Bottom line, for 1 SD channel of bandwidth, it would cost one sub over $4k the first year alone to replicate the service.

Actually, if you really want to replicate NewsMix, you would need really tiny monitors, wouldn't you? :lol:

#61 OFFLINE   majormax69

majormax69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

You won't get into politics? YOU were the one who said it was political. FYI - none of the news mix channels were associated with Gannett.

Yikes!! Yes I said it was Political.. I won't go into {{all}} the Politics

Better do some more RESEARCH! FYI Gannett owns hundreds of local NBC stations around the country and they are also about to go black at Nov. 30th 11:59pm:confused:

Edited by majormax69, 29 November 2012 - 12:08 PM.

#62 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,658 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

Yikes!! Yes I said it was Political.. I won't go into Politics

Once again, how is it political?

Better do some more RESEARCH! FYI Gannett owns hundreds of local NBC stations around the country and they are also about to go black at Nov. 30th 11:59pm:confused:

Hundreds? No. They own 23 stations, only 12 of which are NBC affiliates. In what way are those associated with the news mix? HINT: They aren't.

#63 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 175 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

Yikes!! Yes I said it was Political.. I won't go into {{all}} the Politics

I fear we have entered tinfoil hat territory here.:nono2:

#64 OFFLINE   majormax69

majormax69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

No Prob!! End Of Subject... Just Mark My Words!! :)

P.s @Hossier205 !! Good Job!!

Edited by majormax69, 29 November 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#65 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,658 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

No Prob!! End Of Subject... Just Mark My Words!! :)

P.s @Hossier205 !! Good Job!!

What?
DTV = Digital Television

#66 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,290 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

Thank you for the information you provided.

The reason I don't turn the projector off myself was contained in my original post to which you responded.

I know of no way to turn the projector off automatically, other than it's built-in loss-of-video-signal-input timer. If I put a plug-in timer between the projector power cord and the wall outlet, it will not permit the projector to run its fan after the lamp is initially powered off and properly cool the lamp as it apparently must do. The projector, a Sharp XV-Z12000, is intelligent enough to turn itself off when it has received no video input signal for an extended period of time.

As a potential workaround, I set the HD-DVR, an HR-24 (as I recall), viewing period to end at 2:00 AM in the hope that the DVR might shut off the video signal at that time, but it doesn't. The price of the projector lamp is ~$500.00.

So, from what you say, DirecTV has made a decision to intentionally cripple its DVR so as not to confuse sports fans. Pathetic!

I am able to refer the DirecTV programming staff to an intelligent programmer/consultant who is an absolute genius Unix and C guru; just say the word. :D

Well don't fall asleep! :lol:

Seriously, what did you do before they even had the feature? Sorry, its not crippled, its simple. Do you have a universal remote of some sort. Maybe one that you can program it to do things at certain times? If so, set it to change the input of your projector at a certain time to an input with nothing connected.

#67 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,290 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Did you Really say that!! Yikes!! Beacons me back to the days when we had figure out how to get our VCR from flashing 12:00 12:00 12:00

( among MANY options that are still " Dumbed" out )

Settings: Powersaver > Off , 1 hour , 2 hours...

And this one would really throw me for loop:
Screen saver: On, Off

Get My Drift.. Unfortunately he is right.. But I don't think it is the consumer that is dumb.. They just don't want to teach the staff to ,,,,, Carry On..:P

Oh hey, i didn't say I agree with what they did. I just said that is obviously their theory. Although I will say, when your dealing with 20 million people, how many that don't get something do you have to figure into your decisions before you say you need to simplify it? I am sure some are that lost with technology. And each person that is lost will call in, and do you really want hundreds of hours wasted erasing how it works with options? However, I would never have allowed this feature to only have an on and off,it would have had several settings if I was in charge.

#68 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,290 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

Can you elaborate? Does Gannett have an ownership interest in one of the channels previously included in the News Mix channel or something?

I can't understand how some local channel distribution deal would have an affect on national channels it has no stakes in. I with you, please elaborate...

#69 OFFLINE   majormax69

majormax69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

Sorry to say earlier that it was "Political" ,, Dave is in a game of CHESS.. For US!! Think About it!! .. It will work out.. It USUALLY does...

#70 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,658 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

Sorry to say earlier that it was "Political" ,, Dave is in a game of CHESS.. For US!! Think About it!! .. It will work out.. It USUALLY does...

Then explain your comments about the Gannett situation and how you believe it is related to the news mix being pulled.
DTV = Digital Television

#71 OFFLINE   ben 11

ben 11

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

They don't owe you anything for removing the news mix.

Not as a strict matter of their typical corporate disclaimer - but that's not the issue.

The issue is customer satisfaction and how the company chooses to treat their customers when an issue comes up.

To me, they seem totally tone-deaf and unresponsive in any meaningful way to the complaints that they are receiving and tone-deaf to the rationale given by customers for keeping the channel as simple good decision making (see posts in facebook threads).

It shouldn't matter if you have 20 million customers or whether there are other companies to switch to.

What matters is how a corporation treats EVERY customer as an individual - maybe that individual will have an idea worth consideration.

But with off-putting pre-digested pablum as a form letter, you're bound to create ill will and end up ruining your reputation in this instant media world - just look at facebook and the twitter feed for DTV customer service.

It just looks to me like corporate bullying when you don't announce or invite input in advance of this kind of decision making.

Sure, you don't have to legally, but is it in the best interest of the customer and the perception of the company as a corporate citizen?

#72 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Registered
  • 37,060 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

With due respect, I am not certain you have all the facts when you assert that they did not invite input. It is quite possible they invited quite a bit of input from targeted focus groups as they often do.

If you mean that they should have opened it up to public debate, I'm not sure they would have found that as helpful.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#73 OFFLINE   ben 11

ben 11

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

No one knows, that's true.

But is it really good corporate policy to rely so much on focus groups if that were the case? I mean it is hard to imagine that newsmix had any less of a niche market than many of the other hundreds of channels already up and running.

I know that public debate wouldn't be the answer but the very least they could do is notify in advance as a matter of simple courtesy and respect for the person that buys their product - no matter how big they are.

Don't know what the answer is but I cannot imagine that it is that big of a deal to keep newsmix up and running.

There can't be that big of a downside unless it has to do with the bottom line - advertising - or the 8 networks in the mix objecting directly to DTV because they thought it was bad for them in some way, (i.e. Fox didn't like to be put in the same "league" with Current or MSNBC, etc.) or ratings couldn't be monitored on newsmix rather then if the customer was tuned in to a single specific news channel by number.

They didn't do it for a lack of interest in the channel because the upsides so far outweigh the downsides for the customer as spelled out for so many posters on facebook and elsewhere.

#74 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

I am unhappy to lose the NewsMix channel because the package I subscribe to does not offer the Fox Business Network, but FBN was included on the mix channel so I was able to listen to it anyway. Now I can't. Goodbye NewsMix channel.

#75 OFFLINE   majormax69

majormax69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

In Reply to your post 3138420

They don't owe you anything for removing the news mix.

Not as a strict matter of their typical corporate disclaimer - but that's not the issue.

The issue is customer satisfaction and how the company chooses to treat their customers when an issue comes up.

Bravo!! Spot on!! Pass It on!! :nono:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...