Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NewsMix Channel 352 - No More

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#151 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, as are we all, but DirecTV still has the old NewsMix channel displaying a bouncing logo 24/7. Implicit in that is that NewsMix wasn't discontinued for bandwidth, perhaps.

Nope. The logo is always available for blank channels. They just point to it.

The mix channel WAS taken down for bandwidth and lack of interest. No other reason.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#152 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,631 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

I wonder if we won't see the news mix channel come back in Hi Definition, as well as all the other mix channels get an Hi Definition update latter next year.

#153 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

And once again today, with the tragedy in CT, Newsmix would be a must have today.

I know for a fact that a large number of Broadcast Stations are in the process of terminating their commercial contracts with DirecTV as they used NewsMix on sets around the newsrooms.

That was the only thing holding them to DirecTV compared to local cable service.

#154 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

And once again today, with the tragedy in CT, Newsmix would be a must have today.

I know for a fact that a large number of Broadcast Stations are in the process of terminating their commercial contracts with DirecTV as they used NewsMix on sets around the newsrooms.

That was the only thing holding them to DirecTV compared to local cable service.

You know that for a fact?
DTV = Digital Television

#155 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

didn't they have it for all the sports feeds??? and didn't they get feeds with out blackouts or even in / out of market rules.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#156 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,387 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

didn't they have it for all the sports feeds??? and didn't they get feeds with out blackouts or even in / out of market rules.

Somehow I have trouble picturing the local sportscaster watching every game each night to create a highlight reel for the sports show. Perhaps because it is so much easier to subscribe to professional services that deliver the most interesting plays of each game in digital form for station to use.

The same goes for news stories. Stations subscribe to professional news services that deliver packages ready to air.

Stations will monitor their competition ... to see what the other stations are carrying and figure out if they are missing something. I suppose they might look at the national channels to see if there was something they wanted to use locally but most of the news would arrive via their professional news services.

#157 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,631 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:22 AM

I have a hard time finding the reasoning behind that statement.

#158 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:10 AM

I have a hard time finding the reasoning behind that statement.

+1

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#159 OFFLINE   majormax69

majormax69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:19 AM

Glad to see they LIE through their teeth and not bring NewsMix back up in a national massacre as they suggested. :confused:

Edited by majormax69, 15 December 2012 - 03:45 AM.

#160 OFFLINE   majormax69

majormax69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:43 AM

Hoosier205, Quit your WHINING About every single comment!!
Accept the fact that we believe Directv made a poor decision.
and we want to VENT!!

#161 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:46 AM

and we want to VENT!!

So, when someone posts a question it's whining? :sure:

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#162 OFFLINE   majormax69

majormax69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

Nope. The logo is always available for blank channels. They just point to it.

The mix channel WAS taken down for bandwidth and lack of interest. No other reason.

Not True!! They simply sold out to News Corp. They didn't like the competition.

#163 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

FUD.

Or is spreading nonsense your version of "venting?"

I gave you the real reason and you just want to spread garbage.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#164 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,631 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

Glad to see they LIE through their teeth and not bring NewsMix back up in a national massacre as they suggested. :confused:

Huh? What lie about bringing it back? I haven't seen anything about bringing it back for anything. Where did you see that?

#165 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,631 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

!rolling

How on earth could FOX have anything to do with it?

#166 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,746 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

Huh? What lie about bringing it back? I haven't seen anything about bringing it back for anything. Where did you see that?

They mentioned pre-planned events like elections. The bandwidth that was used by the channel is now elsewhere, it won't be something that they will put up on the fly anytime there's breaking news.
And really yesterday's coverage on a mix channel would have just spread misinformation further. We had the media giving out a name that they were 100% aware wasn't from a source who was authorized to release the name, which we later learned was for obvious reasons. Along with some networks continuing to plaster the guy's Facebook photo on the screen, even though it was already confirmed that the shooter was dead, hours after word started coming out that the guy they shown was tweeting and posting updates saying it was not him, which should have set off a red flag that (a) they got the wrong guy's facebook profile and should probably stop showing it ASAP until they got further information or (B) their source, who wasn't even authorized to give the name out yet, got the wrong guy. (It later turned out to be his brother so not only is his life in turmoil right now with two of his family members dead, they falsely accused him and put his face out there in the open, and coverage on media sites who have yet to print a retraction and just left the original article up there with no correction, so it will probably come back to hurt him in potential job interviews in a few years) Some networks even parked cameras in front of yet another person with the same name's mother's house in New Jersey, who came out to say its not her, and they remained there, even though it was already known that the mother was one of the victims. Apparantly they all forgot how common a name like Ryan is and didn't bother to think how common that last name would be in New Jersey...

So the only thing the news mix would have accomplished is people seeing the wrong guy's picture on msnbc, CBS or Fox News, flipping there thinking they're going to get some new details first, seeing it, reposting his picture all over facebook, tumblr or wherever saying bad things about him, liking pages created by ignorant people too dumb to take down the page after the facts came out, making his life even further hell, and then flipping back to another network like ABC or CNN, who never showed the picture and didn't have to say anything about that picture being of the wrong guy, just had to make a correction about the name. And unless you were watching them 24/7 and the later coverage late that night when the actual facts were released by someone authorized to say so (as opposed to some eager low officer or gov't official who was never involved in an investigation leaking incorrect details early), you might never know the guy who you just trashed on Facebook was wrongly accused and lost two family members or if you do, you'll just think the media has the correction covered and leave it up since its now burried by instagram pictures of your dinner and random updates about your Farmville and Chefville. Fast forward 5 years, when like usual everyone outside of the people directly involved forgets all the names involved and the details of the case, the potential employer will just see all these unchecked and incorrect articles and blog posts about him and think the guy you're thinking of hiring got away with some murder in the past. If you want to follow a breaking news story in full, you're better off sticking to one network from start to finish or wait it out until the actual details are released later that night instead of jumping around to multiple networks, each with their own coverage spreading different levels of unconfirmed information at different times that was later proven to be wrong as not every network needs to correct the same things. (i.e. ABC and CNN only needed to correct the name and age, others had to say the picture was the wrong guy, others had the wrong death count at times, some could even face a lawsuit for leaving his picture on the screen and website for several hours and just editing the articles to say they were initially given wrong info as the time went by pretending they never had the picture up, meanwhile leaving the same user comments up that referred to him by name and linked to his facebook profile, instead of deleting the article entirely and issuing a proper retraction to clear his name and image)

I doubt they'll bring it back for anything else, the inauguration is basically a pool feed, outside of the biased commentary from both sides, so most people already know who they're going to watch if they're going to watch it. Maybe for hurricanes, but they seem to do fine with the full screen coverage of local channels that rotates as the storm progresses.

Edited by KyL416, 15 December 2012 - 03:23 PM.

#167 OFFLINE   majormax69

majormax69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

Kyl.. That was a great reply, Nicely written
Dumb out the masses and send them back to the 19th century

Edited by majormax69, 15 December 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#168 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,387 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

11 edits over 2 hours ... it took a while to craft such a commentary.

#169 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,746 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

11 edits over 2 hours ... it took a while to craft such a commentary.

Yeah I didn't add the commentary until later, I decided to just edit the post instead of replying multiple times. The others were just typos and some minor edits.

#170 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 643 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

News mix is gone. Let it go already. Watch one channel at a time. Holy !@#$ this is not a huge deal. Take up a hobby or something.

#171 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

Kyl.. That was a great reply, Nicely written
Dumb out the masses and send them back to the 19th century

The 19th century with picture in picture and hi def. hey. With TV! And the Internet.

#172 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

and we want to VENT!!

What are you talking about?
DTV = Digital Television

#173 OFFLINE   majormax69

majormax69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

FUD.

Or is spreading nonsense your version of "venting?"

I gave you the real reason and you just want to spread garbage.

BUDDY!!! Please do not send out Vulgar connotations. Ok!:rolleyes:

#174 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

BUDDY!!! Please do not send out Vulgar connotations. Ok!:rolleyes:

Vulgar????

Edit to add: Oh, I get it.

FUD is not vulgar. It stands for fear, uncertainty and doubt. Always untrue. What you are spreading.

#175 OFFLINE   majormax69

majormax69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

Vulgar????

Edit to add: Oh, I get it.

FUD is not vulgar. It stands for fear, uncertainty and doubt. Always untrue. What you are spreading.

Thank You! It Was 'FUD' and I did think it meant something else
now I know!! :-)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...