Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NewsMix Channel 352 - No More

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,277 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

The channel is dead, Jim, dead.

Well. Maybe.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   LDighera

LDighera

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

But isn't it eminently logical that all carriers have that capability?

Yes and No.

For instance, I don't have my kitchen satellite receiver connected to a telephone line, as there is no need; I don't watch PPV there. Every morning, that is where I check to see if nuclear war has broken out while I slumbered. :) Without up-link functionality, there would be no way for a satellite provider to be aware of what such a subscriber were viewing. And pulling the NewsMix topic from the on-line forum shows a lack of interest in customer input, IMNSHO.

#143 OFFLINE   LDighera

LDighera

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:34 AM

That TV allotment table applies to digital over the air TV ... not what is carried via satellite.

Thanks for the information. Are you able to provide any input on which CFRs govern FCC regulation of satellite providers' channel line-up?

#144 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:51 AM

Yes and No.

For instance, I don't have my kitchen satellite receiver connected to a telephone line, as there is no need; I don't watch PPV there. Every morning, that is where I check to see if nuclear war has broken out while I slumbered. :) Without up-link functionality, there would be no way for a satellite provider to be aware of what such a subscriber were viewing. And pulling the NewsMix topic from the on-line forum shows a lack of interest in customer input, IMNSHO.

Their forum doesn't exist for the purpose of customer input or feedback. It's intended for customers needing technical assistance from other members.
DTV = Digital Television

#145 OFFLINE   LDighera

LDighera

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

According to the transponder maps, the only PBS station Santa Barbara gets is channel 389 remapped to channel 65.

The local government has nothing to do with it since the market doesn't even HAVE a local PBS station, and with all the budget cuts I doubt PBS has any plans to launch any new ones in the near future. Most cable systems in the area import the LA PBS stations, but since DirecTV has LA's PBS stations on spot beams, it's probably not possible to do.

Many thanks for your input. That is revealing information indeed. I was unaware that 'spot beams' existed, and posed a technical limitation. Is that spot beam information proprietary or available to the public? If the latter, are you able to provide a pointer to it?

Given the fact that Los Angeles county is so large (from Seal Beach in the south, to Lancaster in the north; nearly one hundred miles), it would be interesting to know the footprint dimensions of those spot beams.

I'm considering writing an article for the local news media concerning Santa Barbara's lack of HD PBS satellite service. Perhaps drumming up a little consumer outrage may bring some movement on this issue. Lard knows my single voice has had little effect over the years.

As U-verse doesn't serve Santa Barbara, the only alternative is cable I suppose. Never a supporter of cable TV, I've chosen not to subscribe. DBS seems technically superior, and provides for the possibility of market competition due to the fact, that no single entity owns the medium over which the content is provided.

#146 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,336 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:01 AM

Thanks for the information. Are you able to provide any input on which CFRs govern FCC regulation of satellite providers' channel line-up?

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head - and I believe your question is relating to the PBS station question which isn't the point of this thread. Local station carriage rules get complicated. We have some discussion over in the Legal Issues forum on the topic.

Fixing your Santa Barbara PBS HD issue would require getting a licensed station in the market to carry PBS in HD or getting DirecTV to carry a HD version of the national feed. Without a local station transmitting PBS in HD there is no obligation for DirecTV to carry the feed in HD.

Outside of local broadcast stations there is little regulation of the channel lineup. DirecTV must set aside 4-7% of their channels per satellite location as "Public Interest" and allow non-commercial broadcasters to pay a minimal fee to have their signals carried. But otherwise there is nothing that requires satellite companies to carry any particular mix of channels or type of channel. DirecTV can have a "NewsMix" or not have one ... the FCC doesn't care.

#147 OFFLINE   ben 11

ben 11

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

Well. Maybe.

Yeah - that's what I've concluded too.

Considering the answers in this forum and elsewhere, Newsmix was either:

1) For whatever reason, objected to by some or all of the networks that were put into the mix .

2) Not popular enough to be able to make as much money for them as adding the other children, sports and weather channels.

3) Took too much space vis a vis Newsmixs' popularity.

4) Was so popular that DTV pulled it in plans to add later as an a la carte item - possibly in HD - that they could charge for separately 24/7 (regardless of their announcement that they will have it up "periodically" for sports and political events).

Thanks for everyone's help.

#148 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,336 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

The mix channels are basically an enhanced program guide. People pick a genre ... for example "news" ... and say "I want to watch news". Then they go to the mix channel to see what is on the news channels. From that channel they pick the individual channel they want to watch. I would not expect anyone to watch such a mix channel for an extended period of time ... just long enough to pick a single channel to view.

The news channels have done well at building loyalty. Now when people say "I want to watch news" they jump to their favorite news channel. I can see the value of a news mix one night every two years for elections and during any major news event ... but leaving something up 24/7/365 isn't needed.

(During elections it would be good to see who was calling what states when. During other major news events one could watch all the feeds and flip to the station that was showing the best video or interview at that moment.)

I can see the value in a news mix ... especially with the current trend of news channels showing more opinion than news. For example, the Jovan Belcher story yesterday morning. People wanting the latest might have tuned to the mix and waited for his picture to appear to see the latest update. But those people could have also gone online to their favorite news site and got the same story, usually with video, a lot quicker than any of the news networks would have got around to replaying the story.

The news mix is just not as important as it once was.

#149 OFFLINE   LDighera

LDighera

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

I can see the value of a news mix one night every two years for elections and during any major news event ... but leaving something up 24/7/365 isn't needed.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, as are we all, but DirecTV still has the old NewsMix channel displaying a bouncing logo 24/7. Implicit in that is that NewsMix wasn't discontinued for bandwidth, perhaps.

#150 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, as are we all, but DirecTV still has the old NewsMix channel displaying a bouncing logo 24/7. Implicit in that is that NewsMix wasn't discontinued for bandwidth, perhaps.

In no way does it imply that.
DTV = Digital Television

#151 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,277 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

Nope. The logo is always available for blank channels. They just point to it.

The mix channel WAS taken down for bandwidth and lack of interest. No other reason.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#152 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,780 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

I wonder if we won't see the news mix channel come back in Hi Definition, as well as all the other mix channels get an Hi Definition update latter next year.

#153 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

And once again today, with the tragedy in CT, Newsmix would be a must have today.

I know for a fact that a large number of Broadcast Stations are in the process of terminating their commercial contracts with DirecTV as they used NewsMix on sets around the newsrooms.

That was the only thing holding them to DirecTV compared to local cable service.

#154 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

And once again today, with the tragedy in CT, Newsmix would be a must have today.

I know for a fact that a large number of Broadcast Stations are in the process of terminating their commercial contracts with DirecTV as they used NewsMix on sets around the newsrooms.

That was the only thing holding them to DirecTV compared to local cable service.

You know that for a fact?
DTV = Digital Television

#155 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

didn't they have it for all the sports feeds??? and didn't they get feeds with out blackouts or even in / out of market rules.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#156 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,336 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

didn't they have it for all the sports feeds??? and didn't they get feeds with out blackouts or even in / out of market rules.

Somehow I have trouble picturing the local sportscaster watching every game each night to create a highlight reel for the sports show. Perhaps because it is so much easier to subscribe to professional services that deliver the most interesting plays of each game in digital form for station to use.

The same goes for news stories. Stations subscribe to professional news services that deliver packages ready to air.

Stations will monitor their competition ... to see what the other stations are carrying and figure out if they are missing something. I suppose they might look at the national channels to see if there was something they wanted to use locally but most of the news would arrive via their professional news services.

#157 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,780 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:22 AM

I have a hard time finding the reasoning behind that statement.

#158 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,537 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:10 AM

I have a hard time finding the reasoning behind that statement.

+1

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#159 OFFLINE   majormax69

majormax69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:19 AM

Glad to see they LIE through their teeth and not bring NewsMix back up in a national massacre as they suggested. :confused:

Edited by majormax69, 15 December 2012 - 03:45 AM.

#160 OFFLINE   majormax69

majormax69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:43 AM

Hoosier205, Quit your WHINING About every single comment!!
Accept the fact that we believe Directv made a poor decision.
and we want to VENT!!

spam firewall