Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New install on roof with heater

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

Home owners assoc. The dish has to be out of site from street. My brother next month is getting the new pkg installed. I went over and checked and it will have to be mounted on the roof. Because if its on the eve you will see it from the street. 2 questions Will D install a roof mount and do they give you the option for a HEATER ! Because we all know when its up on the roof with snow ther is NO way to clean it off. Or this will all have to be done by me ?:nono:

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

Home owners assoc. The dish has to be out of site from street. My brother next month is getting the new pkg installed. I went over and checked and it will have to be mounted on the roof. Because if its on the eve you will see it from the street. 2 questions Will D install a roof mount and do they give you the option for a HEATER ! Because we all know when its up on the roof with snow ther is NO way to clean it off. Or this will all have to be done by me ?:nono:

If the only place he can get a line of sight makes it visible from the street, the HO can't prevent it from going there. Check the OTARD rules for this situation.

#3 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

If the only place he can get a line of sight makes it visible from the street, the HO can't prevent it from going there. Check the OTARD rules for this situation.

There are others in the neighborhood all on the back of the roof none on the eve's. Yes ther is a line of site from the roof

Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

I don't know if DIRECTV will install a heater, generally they don't have them on the trucks. If you bought one from a third party retailer you could probably cajole the installer into running the wire for it while he's running other wire.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

Dish heater isn't part of the standard installation, but you can purchase one from websites like Solid Signal.

http://www.solidsign...sh-(hsslngrfkit)

#6 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 179 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

I worked with my local installer with my dish heater. We applied the heater to the back of the dish in their climate controlled shop and installed the dish and everything the next day. Ran the heater wire with the dish wire to the same location and put the power supply there.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#7 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 546 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

I'm buying a super soaker to deal with accumulated snow. Cheaper than a heater.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,015 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

I'm buying a super soaker to deal with accumulated snow. Cheaper than a heater.

Certainly cheaper, but it requires a much greater investment of your time. Warm and dry will always be better than shocking the system with hot water.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

Good to know ! Amazing we all know if that sucker is on the roof it will collect snow. So i guess he will have to purchase the heater and tip the installer. Hey if i was a installer I would sell those from my truck !

#10 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 179 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

Good to know ! Amazing we all know if that sucker is on the roof it will collect snow. So i guess he will have to purchase the heater and tip the installer. Hey if i was a installer I would sell those from my truck !

For me it's not so much that it just randomly "collects snow" - it has to do with outside temperatures. If it's in that range where it's cold enough to freeze or warm enough to melt and you end up with sleet, it builds up a lot thicker on the dish. If it's cold and you have fluffy snow, it doesn't stick to the dish anyway.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#11 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Certainly cheaper, but it requires a much greater investment of your time. Warm and dry will always be better than shocking the system with hot water.

True but come on! Its a super soaker! :D

#12 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

How problematic is this issue? This will be my first winter with a dish.

My dish is at head height when I'm standing on the ground, or about shin height if standing on my deck and reaching over the balusters and the top railing.

I can see gently brushing snow off of it, but what of snow/ice/sleet partially thawing and refreezing on the LNB assembly? That sounds trickier to deal with even if physical access to the dish is easy.

Good thing a dish always has southern exposure by definition. There are parts of my driveway that seem to stay shaded from December to February. ;)

We get about 33" of snow annually here.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#13 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

My dish is at head height when I'm standing on the ground, or about shin height if standing on my deck and reaching over the balusters and the top railing.

I can see gently brushing snow off of it, but what of snow/ice/sleet partially thawing and refreezing on the LNB assembly? That sounds trickier to deal with even if physical access to the dish is easy.

Good thing a dish always has southern exposure by definition. There are parts of my driveway that seem to stay shaded from December to February. ;)

Only 33"? Lucky.

#14 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

Hell my DirecTV dish is on my roof about 50 FT up. Once in 5 years I had snow pile up so bad that I had to use an old 18" dish until the snow melted.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#15 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

Our first snow of the season was to day ! It was about a inch but being so wet I lost signal by 10 am ! But i mounted mine 4 foot off the ground. So cleaning it off was easy ! But then it made me think of the poor bastards that cant reach there's ! And wonderd if DTV even cared when they install them at heights wer u cant reach... And knowing my brother is getting one next month. D is so great about lieing to people about the reception in bad weather and how they help customer's with it. NOPE LOL Sucker ! ! Gotcha for 2 years and its up to you to work it out ! I wonder how many elderly customers that get stuck and dont have the internet to know this.

#16 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,047 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

The only snow I have had issues with in the Northeast, is that wet heavy stuff that doesn't seem to slide off the dish. Been three years now since I have had to use a broom.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#17 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

The only snow I have had issues with in the Northeast, is that wet heavy stuff that doesn't seem to slide off the dish. Been three years now since I have had to use a broom.

I know of that snow. Lived in Maine for 4 years. Here in the Great Lakes region we have 2 kinds of snow: wet and wetter. :D

#18 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 584 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

I use a squirt bottle full of windshield cleaner (with antifreeze). Only head high here in Ohio, but had a super soaker full of it in ND (dish was on the garage roof). Both worked quite well (just took a few more squirts in ND).
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#19 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

Going on my third year with the Hot Shot heater. Best money I have ever spent. I used to go on the roof with a bucket of hot water to melt the snow and ice after or during a storm. Now I flip a switch on in November and off in April. I have never had an outage since I got it, and we get some pretty big snows SW of Denver.

#20 OFFLINE   dueport

dueport

Mentor

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

Going on my third year with the Hot Shot heater. Best money I have ever spent. I used to go on the roof with a bucket of hot water to melt the snow and ice after or during a storm. Now I flip a switch on in November and off in April. I have never had an outage since I got it, and we get some pretty big snows SW of Denver.

Living in Maine, I've been considering installing a Hot Shot heater - good to know you're happy with it.

Now isn't a huge problem for us - our dish is installed on the side of our house and above the roof to the garage (so it is not visable from the street). I have only had an issue with snow once in 3.5 years. That big wet snow without much wind built up on the dish, LNB, and arm and required going up to the garage roof and brushing it off. Otherwise, no problems with signal except small cut outs in the middle of a blizzard now and then. Nevertheless, it would be nice to have a heater on there to know I'll never have an issue with snow buildup (can't do anything about storm cut outs I don't think).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...