Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

My Fox is gone

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

NW Broadcasting, owner of KCYU, my local FOX net station here in Central Washington State,
has removed their channel from DiSH (as of yesterday). Somehow, I sort of have been waiting for KCYU to do that. Just seems that FOX is the station that seems to cause the most problems.

Makes me wish that when I had originally gone with a 722k I had insisted on an OTA module :(

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   CheriT @ DISH Network

CheriT @ DISH Network

AllStar

• DISH Representative
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

We are very sorry for the frustration this has caused you. DISH has offered to pay the same rate as our competitors, but Northwest has rejected that offer, demanding more. We hope to reach an agreement as soon as possible.
Cheri Torres
Social Media Representative
Cheri.Torres@Dish.com

#3 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

Thanks Cheri-I understand and from what I've heard, I'm on the side of DiSH in this (but losing the NFL (Seahawks) on Sundays could hurt LOL).

#4 OFFLINE   CheriT @ DISH Network

CheriT @ DISH Network

AllStar

• DISH Representative
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

You're welcome! I can completely understand that. If I had to miss a Bronco game it would hurt me as well! lol :) Hopefully we can come to a resolution soon so you won't have to be without it. We appreciate your patience.
Cheri Torres
Social Media Representative
Cheri.Torres@Dish.com

#5 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 326 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Just order an OTA mod for it. You can pick one up on Ebay and hook it up to a set of rabbit ears unless you are far from the transmitter.

#6 OFFLINE   tymekeeper

tymekeeper

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

If you have an antenna just run the cable to the RF input on the back of your TV. If you are close enough to the antenna tower even rabbit ears will work. That is what I have as a back up in case of bad weather if Dish goes out

#7 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

Yeah, time to go hunt a rabbit.
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#8 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

If you have an antenna just run the cable to the RF input on the back of your TV. If you are close enough to the antenna tower even rabbit ears will work. That is what I have as a back up in case of bad weather if Dish goes out

already ahead of ya ;)
We're in a valley & our OTA channels come off a low power translator and are pretty weak, so I also had to get a 10db inline amplifier (I'm sure if I had put up a decent outdoor antenna this wouldn't have been necessary). Found an old set of wabbit ears in my tool shed, and by 'aiming' them I could either pick up the other ota signals or turn a bit and get the Fox station. Funny-another fox affiliate (KCPQ Seattle/Tacoma) is also ota via translator here and gives me a bit stronger signal than KCYU does.

Long story short-I now have two fox stations on my living room tv (actually 3-there is one 'substation' that isn't available from Dish), but no dvr service for them. No biggie, I can live without that for just that one network

Ironic-while aiming my ears, one of the first things to come up was a DiSH commercial LOL

Edited by CeeWoo, 27 November 2012 - 02:20 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   azjimbo

azjimbo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

When I had my 922 installed a couple of years ago, I requested the OTA module. When the tech arrived he didn't have it so while the 922 was doing all of it's downloads and activating everything he ran back to the shop and grabbed one. The installer took it off the bill because he missed it the first time :)

He also handed me an extra remote antenna like I have on my 222 and suggested I try using that for the OTA. I did and it works great for me! I am missing NBC, but get all the rest of the locals, so it was never really worth the effort to get a different antenna

#10 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

I'm having the same issue here in the Binghamton NY area. Our local Fox station went off yesterday. However, Dish carries the locals here only in SD and some of them (NBC in particular) have such poor picture quality that they are basically unwatchable. I have the OTA tuner module in my receiver and use it for Fox and CBS, the only two channels I can get in my location with an antenna. I assumed I had nothing to worry about with the fox outage.

Today I found that even though I'm still receiving the Fox signal over the air, the guide data has been replaced by a notice that the station has been pulled. That has killed all my DVR programming for the channel. I don't watch much on Fox, but losing the guide is a real pain. Is there a way to fix that or do I need to take other measures?

#11 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 542 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

Yeah, time to go hunt a rabbit.

No! Time to go hunt a FOX.

#12 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,831 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

That depends on your model of DVR - some of them will let you set manual timers (select channel, start time, duration) - in that case - using a source like titantv.com will get you a reasonable guide for your shows. If they won't let you do the manual timers - you can at least watch them live. Some of the digital converter boxes (at least the Dish ones) will show you guide.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#13 OFFLINE   WazzuCougs

WazzuCougs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

These are the same channels affected by a Northwest Broadcasting and DirecTV dispute that lasted a lengthy period and was finally resolved during the World Series. I'm really hating on Northwest Broadcasting! It must not be easy to work with.

If it's the same as the DirecTV dispute it affects:

Spokane, Washington – KAYU-TV
Yakima, Washington — KFFX-TV
Binghamton, NY — WICZ-TV
Medford, Oregon — KMVU-TV

Will there be a replacement FOX channel for those who don't live where an OTA antenna can pick up a signal?

#14 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

Yes, those 4. No alt feeds are currently available.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#15 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:41 AM

Today I found that even though I'm still receiving the Fox signal over the air, the guide data has been replaced by a notice that the station has been pulled. That has killed all my DVR programming for the channel. I don't watch much on Fox, but losing the guide is a real pain. Is there a way to fix that or do I need to take other measures?

Dish has to change their policies about providing guide data for these channels. My understanding is that guide data does not come from the individual channels themselves, but a third party. It would probably weaken Dish's negotiations if the majority of their customers continued to watch the channel without a carriage agreement.

#16 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 711 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

Dish has to change their policies about providing guide data for these channels. My understanding is that guide data does not come from the individual channels themselves, but a third party.

I do wish they would change their 3rd party guide data to someone who gave accurate start and stop times (e.g. a show starting at 8:31 and ending at 9:01 for which Dish's current guide data shows it starting at 8:30 and ending at 9:00.)

#17 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

These are the same channels affected by a Northwest Broadcasting and DirecTV dispute that lasted a lengthy period and was finally resolved during the World Series. I'm really hating on Northwest Broadcasting! It must not be easy to work with.

If it's the same as the DirecTV dispute it affects:

Spokane, Washington – KAYU-TV
Yakima, Washington — KFFX-TV
Binghamton, NY — WICZ-TV
Medford, Oregon — KMVU-TV

Will there be a replacement FOX channel for those who don't live where an OTA antenna can pick up a signal?

With Dish, out of Yakima we get fox from KCYU (I think KFFX is call sign for TriCities) same 'ol same 'ol though

#18 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

When watching the Fox signal OTA KCPQ from Seattle/Tacoma, I've periodically gotten a box on my screen that 'appears' to be from Dish saying Error-801. To keep from losing you satellite signal go to www.dishnetwork.com/myaccount or call (phone # given but I haven't written it down).

Message goes away after about a minute or so. I've gotten it 3 or 4 times in the last 24 hrs that I've seen. I wonder if they're warning Dish subscribers in the Western WA area, that they could be next to lose fox.

Bear in mind-I'm getting this message when watching off an antenna signal that goes direct from the antenna to the TV (not even thru a dish receiver)

#19 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

When watching the Fox signal OTA KCPQ from Seattle/Tacoma, I've periodically gotten a box on my screen that 'appears' to be from Dish saying Error-801. To keep from losing you satellite signal go to www.dishnetwork.com/myaccount or call (phone # given but I haven't written it down).

Message goes away after about a minute or so. I've gotten it 3 or 4 times in the last 24 hrs that I've seen. I wonder if they're warning Dish subscribers in the Western WA area, that they could be next to lose fox.

Bear in mind-I'm getting this message when watching off an antenna signal that goes direct from the antenna to the TV (not even thru a dish receiver)

I don't see how it would be possible to get an error message from Dish when watching an antenna signal that goes directly from the antenna to the TV, without passing through a Dish receiver.

#20 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

I don't see how it would be possible to get an error message from Dish when watching an antenna signal that goes directly from the antenna to the TV, without passing through a Dish receiver.

Me neither, which is why I'm wondering if it's actually from the Fox station, to serve as a warning to those in the SeaTac area

My 722k does not have an ota module...but last time it came up (while watching off my antenna) I turned on the receiver and TV2---as expected, no such message there

Protected By... spam firewall...And...