Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

My Fox is gone

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

Me neither, which is why I'm wondering if it's actually from the Fox station, to serve as a warning to those in the SeaTac area

My 722k does not have an ota module...but last time it came up (while watching off my antenna) I turned on the receiver and TV2---as expected, no such message there

So the station is interposing this message on its OTA signal, apparently, and not including it on a non-OTA feed that it sends to Dish via fiber optic or some other means. Is that what you think?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

So the station is interposing this message on its OTA signal, apparently, and not including it on a non-OTA feed that it sends to Dish via fiber optic or some other means. Is that what you think?

Someone is adding it somewhere
SHOOT-WISH I HAD MY CAMERA OUT IT JUST CAME UP AGAIN

#23 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

It certainly is a strange situation. It would be interesting to trace it down.

#24 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

Are you watching off of the main station or a repeater?

It would be an odd long shot ... but a repeater using a DISH receiver to pick up the main station via satellite??? It would mean that the station couldn't pull its signal from DISH or they would lose the repeater ... :D

Some small cable systems (usually private) use satellite receivers to feed their system. A station using a satellite feed of their master station would be creative.

#25 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

It would be an odd long shot ... but a repeater using a DISH receiver to pick up the main station via satellite??? It would mean that the station couldn't pull its signal from DISH or they would lose the repeater ... :D

Some small cable systems (usually private) use satellite receivers to feed their system. A station using a satellite feed of their master station would be creative.

I actually caught a photo just before it left. I was able to post a copy of it on the Dish facebook page-tried to insert that photo here but it didn't work.

It is via a repeater (I'm assuming that's the same as what I call a translator), but bear in mind, that's not even my local fox affiliate.

https://www.facebook...&type=1

#26 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

But didn't he say that when he looked at the station on his 722k he didn't see the message?

#27 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

But didn't he say that when he looked at the station on his 722k he didn't see the message?

correct-no such message on the 722k

I think I'll send KCPQ a message and ask what's up LOL

edit-I got a reply on FB from (I believe) a Dirt member who is attempting to look into this

Edited by CeeWoo, 28 November 2012 - 05:53 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

That's the message people get when they don't pay their bill and their service is going to be shut off... so... someone is sending a channel they get from dish to a repeater....but they haven't been paying their bill... at least, that's the only explanation i can come up with off the top of my head.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#29 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

Could someone in the neighborhood be illegally rebroadcasting a Dish signal, and that person has an unpaid bill? Or the repeater is using a Dish signal, and the repeater has an unpaid bill? That would explain why the poster sees the Dish error message when viewing OTA, but does not see it when viewing via his 722k.

#30 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

The channel via the 722 (via satellite) would be the main channel received by DISH for retransmission.

The repeater received OTA would be a station picking up the signal from the main channel, apparently via DISH. And with that error on the screen ... someone needs to renew the subscription on that receiver pronto!

#31 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

Best they came up with is that somehow the OTA is having an effect on the receiver software. Still befuddles me as to how that could be possible since the antenna isn't connected to the receiver.

Heck, I still can't figure out how the receiver (with no antenna input and connected to the TV only with YPbPR1 input) could display a message on the TV when I'm watching the TV Air input

They did verify this is normally the message that is for delinquent accounts---and they verified mine is not delinquent.

WooHoo---Dish says they're sending me a FREE ota module because I've been a customer for over 14 yrs (and hopefully this will solve the problem)! I think I'll look at getting a better OUTDOOR antenna and killing off the wabbit ears

Edited by CeeWoo, 28 November 2012 - 06:55 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

Heck, I still can't figure out how the receiver (with no antenna input and connected to the TV only with YPbPR1 input) could display a message on the TV when I'm watching the TV Air input

The TV station's DISH receiver is putting out the message. :)

Here are the steps:
1) The main TV station produces and transmits a broadcast signal from their main facility
2) DISH receives that signal from the main facility and puts it on their satellite service for their customers
3) The repeater TV station uses a DISH satellite receiver to pick up the satellite service and tune to their feed
4) The repeater TV station transmits the signal received from DISH over their broadcast transmitter

The account that the TV station is using to receive their signal needs renewal, so DISH is putting an occasional nag message on the screen. Viewers in your error see whatever that DISH receiver puts out ... including the nag message or any errors. (If the satellite signal was lost due to a severe storm you would see the DISH searching for signal messages.)

It is cheaper for the station to pick up the signal via DISH than build their own connection between the two stations. Or perhaps they use the DISH feed as a backup when the normal reception is down. In any case, you're seeing your local repeater station's DISH receiver.

#33 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

The TV station's DISH receiver is putting out the message. :)

Thanks James-that was my first assumption :) AND thank you for the explanation in a way that even a non techie (such as myself) can understand
Heck, this time I was right and didn't even realize it LOL

#34 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

http://www.myfoxspok...-viewers-notice
http://wicz.com/dish/fox11/
Here is one of the messages that a northwest broadcasting station has on their website. This one is for KAYU.

Edited by mshaw2715, 28 November 2012 - 10:25 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

A somewhat related story: KGO, the ABC affiliate in San Francisco, maintains a translator station for the San Jose area that operates on RF channel 35. KGO's main signal is on RF channel 7, as is the signal of KRCR, the ABC affiliate in Redding. The San Jose translator is somewhat unreliable, sometimes providing no picture and sound, even though the reading of the strength of the signal from translator on RF 35 is quite high. It appears that the translator is picking up sometimes the signal from KRCR, as well as the signal from KGO. When KGO has been off the air for maintenance, the KRCR signal has been seen.

So it would appear that a work-around for the situation would be for KGO to purchase its own signal from Dish or Direct, then use that signal to retransmit. Or KGO could just negotiate for Dish or Direct provide them with a free use of the signal to use for retransmission from the translator.

#36 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

So it would appear that a work-around for the situation would be for KGO to purchase its own signal from Dish or Direct, then use that signal to retransmit. Or KGO could just negotiate for Dish or Direct provide them with a free use of the signal to use for retransmission from the translator.

An engineered solution would involve antennas that would amplify the desired signal and reject the undesired ... which is possible even if the signals are on the same frequency. The off-air pickup of the wrong signal is an issue (as would be reflected signals) but there are schemes for detecting what one is retransmitting.

Intercity relays are also popular ... and occasionally that means two or more hops to get the signal from the studios to the second tower. DISH/DirecTV reception is a quick and dirty solution and "non-traditional" but it works.

Of course when contract time came up it would be good to have the "other" provider available so the decision to continue to allow carriage (or not) would not be hampered by the use of that service as a backhaul. :)

#37 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

That is from the station. We had that in the hours leading up to the Binghamton outage. The message said something about "choosing another provider." That's not likely a message from Dish.

#38 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

Apparently at least one person couldn't handle the loss of Fox as nicely as we do here:
Man arrested after allegedly threatening TV station he can't watch
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#39 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

Scrolling thru the channels a couple minutes ago and it appears that despite the program guide still saying "Important News-Press Info" that Fox is back up here in Central Washington

(must've been a mistake---it's gone again)

Edited by CeeWoo, 16 December 2012 - 09:41 PM.

#40 OFFLINE   Chihuahua

Chihuahua

Legend

• Registered
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

Anything new on the negotiation front as far as Northwest Broadcasting and Dish Network are concerned?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...