Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

SWM LNB to SWM-16

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   haggis444

haggis444

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

I am going to have more than 8 tuners after my basement is finished so I am preparing to move from a SWM LNB to a SWM-16 setup. My plan is attached will it work?

A few questions:

• As long as I don't exceed 8 tuners/ 8 port splitter I am OK?
  • Could I add a C31 to that top splitter or does it count as a tuner making it 9?
  • Could I have any combination of tuners spread across the bottom 8 port and 4 port splitters (as long as it is not more than 8)?
  • What port on the SWM-16 does the Cinema Connection Kit go into?
  • Does my dish pointing (which is near perfect) with the SWM LNB need to change when I put in the 4 port SL5 LNB?

Obviously my whole issue is where the 4 port splitter is I can only get one wire to that location. I know I could use a 2 port but I already own the 4 port one.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails

• Satellite Dish Setup.png

(1) HR44-700 | (2) HR24-500 | (2) C41 | My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

The first problem I see is the 4-way cascaded off an 8-way.

A few questions:

• As long as I don't exceed 8 tuners/ 8 port splitter I am OK?
  • Could I add a C31 to that top splitter or does it count as a tuner making it 9?
  • Could I have any combination of tuners spread across the bottom 8 port and 4 port splitters (as long as it is not more than 8)?
  • What port on the SWM-16 does the Cinema Connection Kit go into?
  • Does my dish pointing (which is near perfect) with the SWM LNB need to change when I put in the 4 port SL5 LNB?
1) sure as long as you don't then add another 4-way splitter.
2) the C31 is tunerless so can connect to any port.
3) again a 8-way going to a 4-way is too much loss.
4) any open port for the CCK, since it too doesn't have a tuner.
5) I've swapped LNBs without issues, but if you're heavy handed you might knock it out.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

I never understood why D can have a LNB send 8 down one cable from the dish ! But cant split that into more. That you have to run 4 freakin wires back if you want more then 8 :(

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#4 OFFLINE   haggis444

haggis444

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

3) again a 8-way going to a 4-way is too much loss.

Thanks VOS. So should I just buy a 2-way to do this? Otherwise how can I get two remote devices off one cable?

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

I never understood why...

it has to do with the spectrum allocation.
This is the same as trying to add more TV channels in the channel 7 - 13 range of VHF-hi band.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Thanks VOS. So should I just buy a 2-way to do this? Otherwise how can I get two remote devices off one cable?

"Looks like" changing the 8-way to a 4-way and then adding/using a 2-way would work best. The combined loss of the 4 + 2 = the 8-way.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   haggis444

haggis444

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

Got it thanks a bunch. And I can put a 4 way up top as well since I only have three cables. I was thinking tuners used=splitter ports, now I know that's not the case.

And totally spaced out, forgot the Cinema Connection Kit goes into a splitter, not the SWM-16.

Attached Thumbnails

• Satellite Dish Setup.png

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

That looks very close to what I have.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,172 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

OK, that confuses me, nothing new.
Why wouldn't the C31s be on the leg with the HR34 ?
and the 2 HR24s and the one H24 be on the other leg ?

Just curious.
Thanks

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

OK, that confuses me, nothing new.
Why wouldn't the C31s be on the leg with the HR34 ?
and the 2 HR24s and the one H24 be on the other leg ?

Just curious.
Thanks

Because it/they don't need to be. It/they just needs to be part of the coax networking.
A.K.A VOS

#11 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,907 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

This is the same as trying to add more TV channels in the channel 7 - 13 range of VHF-hi band.

I still wonder if that's really the case though?

As its been debated in the past on this board whether DIRECTV engineering's selection of 100+ MHz for the SWiM carriers separation was the minimum practical for such a single wire system design.

Might a separation 75 MHz or perhaps a little less sufficed to allow for more carriers and thus greater than 8 tuners to be supported per cable run?

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,828 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

Without indulging in that discussion, any change in the SWM channels would have to be accompanied by new hardware from end to end, I would think. I don't think a change to the SWM firmware would do it and I would think the receivers would need to change to support it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

I am going to have more than 8 tuners after my basement is finished so I am preparing to move from a SWM LNB to a SWM-16 setup. My plan is attached will it work?

A few questions:

[*]As long as I don't exceed 8 tuners/ 8 port splitter I am OK?
[*]Could I add a C31 to that top splitter or does it count as a tuner making it 9?
[*]Could I have any combination of tuners spread across the bottom 8 port and 4 port splitters (as long as it is not more than 8)?
[*] What port on the SWM-16 does the Cinema Connection Kit go into?
[*] Does my dish pointing (which is near perfect) with the SWM LNB need to change when I put in the 4 port SL5 LNB?

Obviously my whole issue is where the 4 port splitter is I can only get one wire to that location. I know I could use a 2 port but I already own the 4 port one.

Thanks in advance.

Did exactly what you are about to do last week. Replaced a SWM LNB with a SWM 16. Was worried about the dish too, but my signals all stayed in the 90s. I was very careful when replacing the LNB. Installed an HR34 and all is good. Good luck.

#14 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

Does Dish have 4 wires from the dish ?

Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#15 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

Question I have an old Slim 5 lnb AU9 with 4 out puts with out the S can that be used with the new SWM so you can get more then 8 ?

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

I left dish about 10 years ago and haven't looked back so :shrug:
A.K.A VOS

#17 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,907 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:06 AM

No, their current 1000.x dish for HD service can have up to three wires. But Dish is different as they went with a single wire solution long before DIRECTV's SWiM using a conventional frequency stacking approach.

The problem is frequency stacking really hogs bandwidth in 500 MHz chunks so each cable run from the Dish antenna can only support up to two tuners. And to use that duel tuner capacity on a line they must both be on the same box (i.e. a DVR)

Question I have an old Slim 5 lnb AU9 with 4 out puts with out the S can that be used with the new SWM so you can get more then 8 ?

Yes, its sometimes called a "legacy LNB" and can be used to feed a SWiM-16 or even a SWiM-32 outboard module if more than 8 tuners are needed.

spam firewall