Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question About OTA

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

I cannot seem to find anything recent on this question. Does Direct have any way to integrate OTA with a receiver like Dish receivers can? I do not want this to get into a pissing contest between the two companies. I just have a great many sub-channels that I watch and record and without that ability I cannot really consider Direct as viable.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,389 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

The AM-21 is a dual OTA tuner that connects via USB
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 608 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

The AM-21 is a dual OTA tuner that connects via USB

.. and when connected to a DirecTV receiver via USB, it integrates the local guide listings with the satellite guide listings for seamless operation.

There is a potential fly in the ointment, though. DirecTV's guide data for local stations may not include ALL of your local sub-stations.

On the HR-34 Genie model ONLY, it will at least scan for receivable local channels and sub-channels and will permit you to record from the ones not listed in their guide data on a channel/date/time basis, just like an old VCR.

For all other models, you can only record the channels that are included in the DirecTV-supplied guide data.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,816 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

With DIRECTV, you also cannot treat the OTA tuners as independent from the satellite tuners as Dish receivers can.

For instance with DIRECTV if you are viewing and recording two OTA channels, you may not record any satellite channels.

With Dish both OTA and satellite tuners are free to view and record simultaneously.

A significant advantage for Dish I must admit.

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,661 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

With DIRECTV, you also cannot treat the OTA tuners as independent from the satellite tuners as Dish receivers can.

For instance with DIRECTV if you are viewing and recording two OTA channels, you may not record any satellite channels.

With Dish both OTA and satellite tuners are free to view and record simultaneously.

A significant advantage for Dish I must admit.

With the HR34, you could simultaneously record 2 OTA and 3 satellite. Advantage DirecTV.

#6 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,989 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

With the HR34, you could simultaneously record 2 OTA and 3 satellite. Advantage DirecTV.

And a VOD. :)

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#7 OFFLINE   aa9vi

aa9vi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

.. and when connected to a DirecTV receiver via USB, it integrates the local guide listings with the satellite guide listings for seamless operation.

There is a potential fly in the ointment, though. DirecTV's guide data for local stations may not include ALL of your local sub-stations.

You're right. In the Chicago (3rd largest media market) we only get about 70% of the OTA channels with the AM-21. The channel listing on the AM-21 (when used with an HR-21, HR-23, HR-24 ) is more than 3 years old and has not been updated. Some channels are no longer on the air, some are on the air but the AM-21 can't tune them... it blocks them out! It's really a half-assed implementation of OTA and pales in comparison to what Dish has done. The only way to get around the problem is to have an HR-34 HD DVR with the AM-21. But the HR-34 has been flaky lately so good luck with that.

#8 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

In a channel-rich market like Chicago, OTA only, combined with online services can fully replace pay-TV. Where I live, I can pick up both West Palm and Miami markets with a single small antenna on my roof. I'd consider this a very valid option compared to the increasingly costly and slow performing pay TV services.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#9 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

In a channel-rich market like Chicago, OTA only, combined with online services can fully replace pay-TV. Where I live, I can pick up both West Palm and Miami markets with a single small antenna on my roof. I'd consider this a very valid option compared to the increasingly costly and slow performing pay TV services.

I second this. I live in Winter Haven halfway between Tampa and Orlando and the number of OTA options available to me make the idea of cutting the cord a viable option.

I'm not seriously considering doing it but I've definitely taken a few minutes to evaluate it.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#10 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

Yep;

Should have specified that for the HR34, and I'm not even sure Dish's comparable Hopper even has an OTA module released yet. So yes, advantage DIRECTV.

However it is worth noting, that for every RVU client added to the HR34 you loose one of those three satellite tuners ;)

Edited by HoTat2, 30 November 2012 - 12:35 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,735 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

Yep;

Should have specified that for the HR34, and I'm not even sure Dish's comparable Hopper even has an OTA module released yet. So yes, advantage DIRECTV.

However it is worth noting, that for every RVU client added to the HR34 you loose one of those three satellite tuners ;)

Well, you lose a tuner temporarily when the client is active.

Also, for those with megasets- a mega number, that is, apparently you can install many RVU clients, and activate/deactivate as needed, given that it supporst a max. of three clients at once.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

Well, you lose a tuner temporarily when the client is active.

Also, for those with megasets- a mega number, that is, apparently you can install many RVU clients, and activate/deactivate as needed, given that it supporst a max. of three clients at once.

But AIUI, once an RVU client is activated on an account it's always active and claims a tuner from the HR34 unless its tuner is taken over by another RVU client.

Even if no one happens to be using a client it still remains active and claims a tuner. The only way the HR34 may reclaim the tuner is to physically disconnect the client from the system and call in the DIRECTV to deactivate it and remove it from the customer's account.

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,389 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

But AIUI, once an RVU client is activated on an account it's always active and claims a tuner from the HR34 unless its tuner is taken over by another RVU client.

Even if no one happens to be using a client it still remains active and claims a tuner. The only way the HR34 may reclaim the tuner is to physically disconnect the client from the system and call in the DIRECTV to deactivate it and remove it from the customer's account.

Not so. Turning off/into standby frees up the tuner the client was using.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

One day a friend brought his AM-21 over and I hooked it up to my R22 to play with it. I noticed you could program in a SECOND Zip code (and thus obtain the channels in the OTA guide for that zip code).

WHAT IF there was a local OTA channel you wanted to watch but DirecTV didn't have it included in the guide for your zip code? Could you figure out all the OTA channels available from DirecTV by zip code and put in a zip code where that OTA channel number was available? Of course the program listings would be wrong but at least you could watch & record it...

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#15 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

Not so. Turning off/into standby frees up the tuner the client was using.

OK great;

My "AIUI" tuuns out was a "AImUI" (misunderstand) :lol:

I probably need to get an RVU box I suppose, for the experience at least to avoid such errors but don't like the pricing structure for them.

#16 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

[quote name='ThomasM']One day a friend brought his AM-21 over and I hooked it up to my R22 to play with it. I noticed you could program in a SECOND Zip code (and thus obtain the channels in the OTA guide for that zip code).

WHAT IF there was a local OTA channel you wanted to watch but DirecTV didn't have it included in the guide for your zip code? Could you figure out all the OTA channels available from DirecTV by zip code and put in a zip code where that OTA channel number was available? Of course the program listings would be wrong but at least you could watch & record it...[/QUOTE]

Another limitation I "had" (use an HR34 with true OTA scanning now) with this popular trick other than the erroneous program listings was that I could only get it to work to supply an entire missing channel in DIRECTV's database.

If it was a secondary sub-channel of an existing station in the database you were trying to get, it wouldn't work out. You would either get the missing sub-channel, but then lose reception of the other existing station's sub-channels or vice-versa.

#17 OFFLINE   HDbruce

HDbruce

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

WHAT IF there was a local OTA channel you wanted to watch but DirecTV didn't have it included in the guide for your zip code? Could you figure out all the OTA channels available from DirecTV by zip code and put in a zip code where that OTA channel number was available? Of course the program listings would be wrong but at least you could watch & record it...[/QUOTE]

Yes, it works well. In the Burlington, VT market we have access to stations from Montreal. I use 05452 (my zip) and 58102 (Fargo, ND). The second zip permits me to tune and record most of the stations from Montreal. I have to do manual recording because the guide shows the programming for Fargo on the Montreal channels, but it's easy. Some Sunday's we get out of market NFL games from Montreal.

spam firewall