Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR 34 flushes buffer overnight

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Podkayne

Podkayne

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

I've had the HR 34 Genie for about a month and love it so far, with the exception of one quirk. When we turn it on after it's been off overnight it comes up "live" on the channel we left it on, with no trailing buffer. Our HR 20 would trail a 90 minute buffer even after we turned it off. I've turned off power saving, tried leaving it on always, no joy. Is this a characteristic of this DVR, or am I overlooking something?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

Yes, this is something that's known about the Genie/HR34. At one point it used to flush the buffer with great regularity, but now it only seems to do it after several hours of inactivity.

One theory suggests it has to do with energy savings, not buffering while no one is watching.

With 5 available tuners, the easy workaround is to set a manual recording for the 5 channels you are likely to watch, starting 90 minutes before you wake up and ending after you are likely to go to work. Set it to keep only 1 recording, and it won't clog your hard drive.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   Podkayne

Podkayne

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

Thanks, Stuart, there is only one "home channel" we would like to keep a buffer for, so your suggested workaround will be fine. The shows we're most interested in start at 5pm and 6pm, so I just set up Series Links to record them, and we've got a built in buffer for the evening.

The only other quirk we're experiencing is that trickplay on our connected HR 20 requires a bit of getting used to a short but significant delay from key press to response, but the issue is minor and is a small price to pay to have a unified playlist from 3 TB of storage!

#4 OFFLINE   mrjacobrussell

mrjacobrussell

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

I've had the HR 34 Genie for about a month and love it so far, with the exception of one quirk. When we turn it on after it's been off overnight it comes up "live" on the channel we left it on, with no trailing buffer. Our HR 20 would trail a 90 minute buffer even after we turned it off. I've turned off power saving, tried leaving it on always, no joy. Is this a characteristic of this DVR, or am I overlooking something?

Have you enabled Genie suggests?

HR44 wired with Ethernet to the router -  
C41 (Attached to a cckw using a dedicated router) -
HR24 -
RVU SamsungTV
Rackable NM46X, 2 x Dual-Core AMD Opteron 2.4ghz 16GB Ram Media server/servio/subsonic

- You Stay Classy San Deigo. :goodjob:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...