Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Upgrade to Hopper - Pricing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dhvt

dhvt

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

I'm new to this forum, so please be gentle with me. This question is for a DIRT rep. I have been a Dish customer for 7 years with a perfect payment history. I have a 625 dual DVR receiver with 2 TV's. I am on the Top-200 plan. With DVR service and taxes, I am paying about $70/month.

I recently called Dish directly a couple of weeks ago to ask them what it would cost to upgrade to the hopper and add 1 more TV (for a total of 3), while keeping the same programming package. I was told that it would be $100 for the hopper, $100 for installation, and that my monthly bill would increase to $96. That was much more than I was willing to pay, so I said no thanks.

Today, my wife called and asked the same questions. She was told that the hopper (including joey's) would be only $50, due to our long relationship with Dish. Installation would be free. And our monthly bill would only go up by the cost of adding 1 TV.

Since these two quotes are miles apart, I'm wondering if a DIRT rep would help me to determine which is more accurate. By the way, we don't have HD TV's yet (so no HD package is required), and I would be happy to tackle the installation myself. Any advice is appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

The $50 for the Hoppa sounds right, per new promotions. The free install may be if you've added the Protection Plan lately; otherwise, yeah, install's $95. Hopper/1 Joey'd add $11 a month to your bill, $21 if you don't do HD for free. You'd have to add HD at first, then can remove it later.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#3 OFFLINE   BubbaD

BubbaD

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:37 AM

Be careful ad Dish will only sell you one hopper and two joeys which is only three tuners. You will run out of tuners with this setup.

Dirt will be no help as I tried that route.

#4 OFFLINE   Simplylinked

Simplylinked

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

You are on the right path trying to talk to DIRT. I just upgraded from a 522 and 508 to 2 hoppers and 2 joeys. I talked to Dish direct a couple of times over the past 6 months and the last person I talked to told me that after being a customer for 20 years that I could not upgrade at any price.

Finally I PM'd the DIRT team and they solved it at a nice price. It is installed and working fine.

As far as cost go. Our went up because we added one more tv and they had to change us from Yearly pay to Monthly. Sorry to say but TV is getting expensive.

#5 OFFLINE   CheriT @ DISH Network

CheriT @ DISH Network

Mentor

• DISH Representative
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

I'm new to this forum, so please be gentle with me. This question is for a DIRT rep. I have been a Dish customer for 7 years with a perfect payment history. I have a 625 dual DVR receiver with 2 TV's. I am on the Top-200 plan. With DVR service and taxes, I am paying about $70/month.

I recently called Dish directly a couple of weeks ago to ask them what it would cost to upgrade to the hopper and add 1 more TV (for a total of 3), while keeping the same programming package. I was told that it would be $100 for the hopper, $100 for installation, and that my monthly bill would increase to $96. That was much more than I was willing to pay, so I said no thanks.

Today, my wife called and asked the same questions. She was told that the hopper (including joey's) would be only $50, due to our long relationship with Dish. Installation would be free. And our monthly bill would only go up by the cost of adding 1 TV.

Since these two quotes are miles apart, I'm wondering if a DIRT rep would help me to determine which is more accurate. By the way, we don't have HD TV's yet (so no HD package is required), and I would be happy to tackle the installation myself. Any advice is appreciated.

Hi, I would be happy to review your account and see which options we have available for you to upgrade your equipment! Can you please PM me with your account number or phone number on the account? Thanks!
Cheri Torres
Social Media Representative
Cheri.Torres@Dish.com

#6 OFFLINE   dhvt

dhvt

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

Thank you for replying. Unfortunately, since I am new to the forum, it won't let me PM. Apparently, you have to have 5 posts before you can PM. Can I send you an email directly to the address in your signature?

#7 OFFLINE   CheriT @ DISH Network

CheriT @ DISH Network

Mentor

• DISH Representative
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

You sure can. :)
Cheri Torres
Cheri.Torres@Dish.com

#8 OFFLINE   dhvt

dhvt

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

I just want to make sure that anyone who reads this thread knows that Cheri from Dish was extremely helpful, patient, and thorough in assisting me with my questions. Thanks Cheri!

#9 OFFLINE   CheriT @ DISH Network

CheriT @ DISH Network

Mentor

• DISH Representative
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

You're welcome! :)
Cheri Torres
Cheri.Torres@Dish.com

#10 OFFLINE   jkinzel

jkinzel

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

This has been a helpful thread and it sounds like the quote I was given for the Hopper was within reason, what I was not able get from the rep was a pricing on IP service. Because my Dish bill is bundled with my Centurylink bill when I asked for a quote on internet pricing they said they “had to” refer me back to my existing IP, i.e. Centurylink. Time to unbundle I think.

Is anyone using Dish as an IP and what are they charging per month?

#11 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

The pricing depends on the company you are bundled with, you can only get that from your IP service. Those who post here cannot answer that unless there is someone here that is in your area with the same bundle.

spam firewall