Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Moving to new house LAN or DECA?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,766 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

So, the technology in use hasn't changed, so the thread is still valid.I never said it wasn't, I never said Ethernet is better for the purpose of video streaming between DirecTV boxes, nor is MoCA/DECA inherently better, but I do make reference that it may be better for a lot of people.They're probably referring to the prioritization features built into MoCA/DECA, and if you get anywhere to approaching the capacity of a network, that is important, mind you Ethernet can support that as well, but it is harder to configure (and most home network don't support it).

Mind you from the flip side, if the network is setup properly with more than enough bandwidth (which a Gigabit network would be true for almost all home setups), prioritization no longer has an effect.

Just to make it clear one more time, I'm not saying Ethernet is better for most people in practice, just making some comments on the base technology.

Well, you had me fooled when you stated:

A properly setup ethernet network will always outperform the coax network.

It's clear you're versatile with ethernet, as are a lot of folk in the forum. But for the average user, and even those with a lot of networking experience, DECA has a lot of advantages.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

The system is designed to transport the video across the coax without issue .. End of story .. If I was doing your movers and you demanded the use of Ethernet .. I wouldn't do the movers because of the risk of sin

spam firewall