Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advanced search features

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dmtalon

Dmtalon

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

Where can I find documentation about all the search features? I just had the Hopper/Joey system installed and am at a loss at finding a single place where I can read about / learn how to do any advanced searches.

I found a post about seek and search, hitting the # key and a colored button, or the search button and a colored button.

Where is this documented?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

Have you checked mydish.com/support/manuals/ ?

#3 OFFLINE   Dmtalon

Dmtalon

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

Have you checked mydish.com/support/manuals/ ?

Well I have the booklets/manual that came with my hopper, and there does seem to be a "feature booklet" there (dish.com/support/manuals) that I haven't seen yet, however it still does not go into any detail about what specific terms means. What is seek & record? I can see in the manual and image of this, but nowhere is it described.

Is it possible to build a list that spans channels? Can I capture "Formula One Racing" on any channel? And if that is possible I don't see where in any manual it talks about that.

#4 OFFLINE   Dmtalon

Dmtalon

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

I haven't been able to try this yet, but below is a chat session with tech support. Highlighted in red is a disappointing statement by him.

Johnny K (ID: EZQ): Hi, my name is Johnny K (ID: EZQ). How may I help you?
Me: I just got Dish on Monday and Got the Hopper/Joey setup. I'm trying to find information on advanced timer creation
Me: I'd like to record all "Formula One" races whether they are on Speed or Fox, or some other channel
Johnny K (ID: EZQ): Okay.
Me: The same thing for "AMA Motocross" I'd like to record that no mater which channel it comes on.
Johnny K (ID: EZQ): In order to record, you are required to set up the timers manual on the Hopper.
Me: is that information documented anywhere?
Me: I can't find it in the manual I got or online at dish.com/support/manuals
Johnny K (ID: EZQ): Please press the DVR button on the remote.
Me: I'm actually at work right now not in front of the tv. but if you tell me steps I'll copy/paste them.
Johnny K (ID: EZQ): Okay.
Me: or even point me to a manual that has that information or a faq or some online resource
Johnny K (ID: EZQ): One moment please.
Johnny K (ID: EZQ): Please press the guide button on the remote followed by Browse, Themes or Search.
Johnny K (ID: EZQ): And then Press the Select or Record Button.
Johnny K (ID: EZQ): You will get an option to set the desired series timers.
Me: once there will it be obvious how to create a timer that spans channels based on a keyword or genre ?
Johnny K (ID: EZQ): Yes, that is correct.
Me: Ok great. Is that explained anywhere in a manual?
Johnny K (ID: EZQ): Unfortunately, there is no instructions.

Johnny K (ID: EZQ): Do you have any other questions for me?
Me: nope, that's it

#5 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

The search menus are pretty self explanatory.

#6 OFFLINE   Dmtalon

Dmtalon

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

The search menus are pretty self explanatory.

Well, I appreciate you not coming right out and calling me a moron. But coming from DTV and Tivo before that it's not quite obvious. I've only had this thing since Monday so I'm far from proficient at it. But I'm trying to get all of my Season Passes (timers) copied over.

It doesn't look like I can create Timers based on multiple keywords. I'm also confused why when I look at a particular event "AMA Supercross" it shows it's theme as "Motorcycle Racing" but when I'm in the search screen that theme does not exist. Is there a way to expand that list to all known "sub themes" vs. just the small subset listed?

With DTV I had a single timer that would capture all motorcycle racing minus a few keywords. It doesn't appear that is possible with the hopper unless I'm missing something that everyone else knows.

#7 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

Well, I appreciate you not coming right out and calling me a moron. But coming from DTV and Tivo before that it's not quite obvious. I've only had this thing since Monday so I'm far from proficient at it. But I'm trying to get all of my Season Passes (timers) copied over.

It doesn't look like I can create Timers based on multiple keywords. I'm also confused why when I look at a particular event "AMA Supercross" it shows it's theme as "Motorcycle Racing" but when I'm in the search screen that theme does not exist. Is there a way to expand that list to all known "sub themes" vs. just the small subset listed?

With DTV I had a single timer that would capture all motorcycle racing minus a few keywords. It doesn't appear that is possible with the hopper unless I'm missing something that everyone else knows.

Press the Search button. At the top of the keyboard enter "AMA Supercross" and you should get a series of results. Pick the correct one and then use "Seek and record".

#8 OFFLINE   Dmtalon

Dmtalon

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

Press the Search button. At the top of the keyboard enter "AMA Supercross" and you should get a series of results. Pick the correct one and then use "Seek and record".

Thank you... I was able to figure that out. But I still believe it would be nice if that was in the owners manual / guide.

#9 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

There's a manual?

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#10 ONLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

There's a manual?

It not really complete, but you can download it from www.mydish.com/support/manuals/

#11 OFFLINE   Dmtalon

Dmtalon

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

I think I'm going to miss some of the advanced search/series pass (timer) features of my previous two DVR's. Not the end of the world, but missed none the less.

I'm still amazed at how fast the thing is.... Such an upgrade there!

spam firewall