Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

KHL game blacked out on MSG

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   paakoridge

paakoridge

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

Recently tried to watch a KHL game on MSG between Moscow Dynamo and Atlant. It was blacked out on MSG, which didn't make any sense as it was not a live event and it's Russian hockey. I had watched a game previously on MSG so blackout made even less sense. No reply from MSGNetwork to inquiry (not expecting one). Anyone else experience the blackout (or give a rats...) and have insight on reason? :mad:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

The only thing I can think of is since ESPN3 has rights to the KHL games, is that it may be blackedout outside of the MSG market due to ESPN3? May also be a screw up at D*. Who knows. Keep us posted.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#3 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

Recently tried to watch a KHL game on MSG between Moscow Dynamo and Atlant. It was blacked out on MSG, which didn't make any sense as it was not a live event and it's Russian hockey. I had watched a game previously on MSG so blackout made even less sense. No reply from MSGNetwork to inquiry (not expecting one). Anyone else experience the blackout (or give a rats...) and have insight on reason? :mad:

What probably happened is the NHL released their blackout schedule to the carriers at some point, JUST IN CASE the season would start.... the season did not start, and NHL Network (among others) opted to air games from Russian leagues instead.

What probably happened is that that particular time slot had a NHL game scheduled that obviously was never played, and someone at DirecTV neglected to change the blackout.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#4 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

So they're actually showing the KHL now? I gave up on MSG KHL games when I recorded two of them on Halloween week and both games turned out to be Rangers game reruns with no explanation of the missing KHL games.

#5 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

So they're actually showing the KHL now? I gave up on MSG KHL games when I recorded two of them on Halloween week and both games turned out to be Rangers game reruns with no explanation of the missing KHL games.

I know they are also showing them on NHL Network. Even though it is a foreign league, it may very well be that NHL holds the broadcast rights, is allowing the regional sports networks to carry the games instead of NHL games until the dispute is resolved..... with perhaps an exception: If the game is on NHL Network, it will be blacked out on the regional channels.

Maybe it is something weird like that? Not quite sure.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#6 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 488 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

i was gonna to ask the same question, but i did enjoy watching the games that wasn't blackout, got see a player i haven't seen in few years

#7 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

I'm still pissed that this is going to be Teemu's last year, and he doesn't get to play it. :(

I am the Stig.

#8 OFFLINE   wolvesjohnblack

wolvesjohnblack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

no khl on nhl network just ESPN3 and MSG.

#9 OFFLINE   Marty711

Marty711

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

The only thing I can think of is since ESPN3 has rights to the KHL games, is that it may be blackedout outside of the MSG market due to ESPN3? May also be a screw up at D*. Who knows. Keep us posted.

This is most likely. ESPN is paying a national rights fee for the KHL. MSG isn't. The first couple KHL games on MSG were likely not blacked out since they were scheduled hastily. I'm guessing someone at ESPN wasn't too happy about their exclusive deal being nullified and they got the MSG games nixed.

#10 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 980 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:56 AM

When it comes to blackouts there is no point to asking anyone with either Directv or the network. Seems like all they do is see the word "blackout" in the email and just spout chapter and verse of the blackout rules.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

spam firewall