Woke up to see that the update had arrived overnight on my HR20-700. Lots of strange things happened:
1. When I first turned on TV and receiver, it was on channel 206, which is where it was when turned off the night before. This is unusual, as after an update the channel is usually on 200 (or maybe 201?). After several seconds, and without my pressing anything on remote, channel changed all by itself to 10 (my local NBC). This channel was recording at the time (which I had set up previously). I tried to start double play, I got the banner message saying to press down again, but when I did, I got the "flash" but no channel change and no double play.
2. After failing to start double play, I attempted to bring up the guide. The grid came up, with PIG, but no guide data. I waited several seconds (30+) and data never populated.
3. Tried to bring up playlist, same result - PIG but no data, even though it did show my correct free percentage.
4. Tried to do a menu reset. The unit responded to the remote and the "restart receiver" flashed when I pressed it, but it did not bring up the next screen (where you have to press the dash).
5. Did a RBR, it hung for a long time on blue receiver self-check screen, the longest I can ever remember, several minutes. I was very worried that it wouldn't reboot, but it finally did, and it flew through the the rest of the reboot, fastest I can remember for going through the two receiving satellite screens. When it fully rebooted, it resumed recording on channel 10. I again tried to start double play, and it worked, and went to 201. Tried to change channel using QuickTune, and the overlay looked funny, the channel numbers were cut off at the bottom. When I chose one of the channels (209), it bonged and told me "channel not available." I then brought up the guide, which also looked funny, it looked like it was SD, text was larger and not as clear as usual. Chose 209, and the channel changed.
After that, things started working normally. QuickTune overlay now looks normal, as does the guide. Double play is working again. I have never had these kinds of issues after an update. Before the update, the receiver had become very slow to respond to remote. I was clearing NVRAM weekly, which would help, but only for a day or so. BTW, I recently tried tuning to channel 1 for over 60 seconds without doing the red, red, blue, blue, etc. sequence, as suggested by VOS on another thread. Just tuning to channel 1 did not speed up the unit, but clearing NVRAM (on channel 1) did speed up the unit every single time, albeit temporarily.
I had essentially these symptoms with the following additional symptoms (which, perhaps, eileen22 simply didn't try):
- No "trick play" function (FF, Rew, Pause) would work.
- None of the number keys on the remote did anything, which means no direct tuning to a channel, and since the grid guide would not populate, and the channel couldn't be changed that way, the only way to change the channel was the channel up/down button. A long process! So, essentially the unit was left as a non-DVR receiver with only a channel up/down control!
My HR20-700 and my HR20-100 had exactly the same symptoms. The HR20-700 spontaneously rebooted itself after leaving it on the unpopulated Playlist (or guide, I don't remember) until it timed out. The time out caused a reboot.
I rebooted the HR20-100 via the menu (which eileen22 reported didn't work).
Both the '700s spontaneous reboot and the manual reboot of the '100 got the units working properly again. No setting or recordings appeared to be lost, but it seems they missed recordings that were supposed to be scheduled while they were in the messed-up state.
EDIT: AlexCF seems to have seen about the same thing too...
I also only discovered the HR20s' screwed up states when I got home from work.