Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers and R22: 0x062C (Winter 2013) Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
119 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   shedberg

shedberg

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

Woke up this morning to find my front panel lights were not working on my HR20-700. No power light, no blue ring, no resolution light, and no record light. Everything else seems to be working fine. Checked and saw I got the update. Did a menu reset and lights are back on.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 379 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

Woke up to see that the update had arrived overnight on my HR20-700. Lots of strange things happened:

1. When I first turned on TV and receiver, it was on channel 206, which is where it was when turned off the night before. This is unusual, as after an update the channel is usually on 200 (or maybe 201?). After several seconds, and without my pressing anything on remote, channel changed all by itself to 10 (my local NBC). This channel was recording at the time (which I had set up previously). I tried to start double play, I got the banner message saying to press down again, but when I did, I got the "flash" but no channel change and no double play.
2. After failing to start double play, I attempted to bring up the guide. The grid came up, with PIG, but no guide data. I waited several seconds (30+) and data never populated.
3. Tried to bring up playlist, same result - PIG but no data, even though it did show my correct free percentage.
4. Tried to do a menu reset. The unit responded to the remote and the "restart receiver" flashed when I pressed it, but it did not bring up the next screen (where you have to press the dash).
5. Did a RBR, it hung for a long time on blue receiver self-check screen, the longest I can ever remember, several minutes. I was very worried that it wouldn't reboot, but it finally did, and it flew through the the rest of the reboot, fastest I can remember for going through the two receiving satellite screens. When it fully rebooted, it resumed recording on channel 10. I again tried to start double play, and it worked, and went to 201. Tried to change channel using QuickTune, and the overlay looked funny, the channel numbers were cut off at the bottom. When I chose one of the channels (209), it bonged and told me "channel not available." I then brought up the guide, which also looked funny, it looked like it was SD, text was larger and not as clear as usual. Chose 209, and the channel changed.

After that, things started working normally. QuickTune overlay now looks normal, as does the guide. Double play is working again. I have never had these kinds of issues after an update. Before the update, the receiver had become very slow to respond to remote. I was clearing NVRAM weekly, which would help, but only for a day or so. BTW, I recently tried tuning to channel 1 for over 60 seconds without doing the red, red, blue, blue, etc. sequence, as suggested by VOS on another thread. Just tuning to channel 1 did not speed up the unit, but clearing NVRAM (on channel 1) did speed up the unit every single time, albeit temporarily.

#23 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

My symptoms and fixes were the same as eileen22's. Oddly, only one of my two HR20s that received the update went bonkers. The other was not affected. ;)
When news breaks...we fix it.

#24 OFFLINE   RussBarr

RussBarr

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

I received firmware 62c at 3:38am December 4. My HR20/700 receiver never rebooted. Front panel was dark buttons did nothing. Reset started the Boot but it never made it to Self Test it just kept rebooting over and over. I have a LIANLI EX-20 RAID box connected with one 2TB drive. It was working fine in 5d2 version. I disconnected the RAID box and the receiver restarted OK. Reconnecting RAID that uses Silicon Image SIL5744 RAID controller resulted in the failed boot. Removing the 2TB drive and connecting it directly to the external ESADA connector resulted in a successful reboot but the drive needed to be reformatted since it was no longer under the SteelvVine storage Processor control resulting in the loss of all recorded movies. It looks to me like the LINUX version that was used to build firmware version 62c is not compatible with SIL5744 Storage Processor.

#25 OFFLINE   AlexCF

AlexCF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

My HR20-700 received the update shortly before 4am today. When I got home from work just a while ago, I found the list of recorded content to be empty. The rows for the show titles were there, but no text. The disk space bar at the bottom showed 40% free, which is about what it was last time I looked. I scrolled down the phantom list of recordings, and that produced garbage ASCII characters in random spots.

So I exited out of there to find that the guide wouldn't come up. Info brought the banner up, but didn't fill in any text.

The red button fixed it, and the recorded content is still there. First time I've seen an update do that.

Funny that the release notes say the update is for "stability". That's off to a fine start. :rolleyes:

I wish we could opt out of updates. I don't need the DVR to do anything more than it already does.

I guess that's similar to what eileen22 saw. The acronyms scared me away.

#26 OFFLINE   Fish Man

Fish Man

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

Woke up to see that the update had arrived overnight on my HR20-700. Lots of strange things happened:

1. When I first turned on TV and receiver, it was on channel 206, which is where it was when turned off the night before. This is unusual, as after an update the channel is usually on 200 (or maybe 201?). After several seconds, and without my pressing anything on remote, channel changed all by itself to 10 (my local NBC). This channel was recording at the time (which I had set up previously). I tried to start double play, I got the banner message saying to press down again, but when I did, I got the "flash" but no channel change and no double play.
2. After failing to start double play, I attempted to bring up the guide. The grid came up, with PIG, but no guide data. I waited several seconds (30+) and data never populated.
3. Tried to bring up playlist, same result - PIG but no data, even though it did show my correct free percentage.
4. Tried to do a menu reset. The unit responded to the remote and the "restart receiver" flashed when I pressed it, but it did not bring up the next screen (where you have to press the dash).
5. Did a RBR, it hung for a long time on blue receiver self-check screen, the longest I can ever remember, several minutes. I was very worried that it wouldn't reboot, but it finally did, and it flew through the the rest of the reboot, fastest I can remember for going through the two receiving satellite screens. When it fully rebooted, it resumed recording on channel 10. I again tried to start double play, and it worked, and went to 201. Tried to change channel using QuickTune, and the overlay looked funny, the channel numbers were cut off at the bottom. When I chose one of the channels (209), it bonged and told me "channel not available." I then brought up the guide, which also looked funny, it looked like it was SD, text was larger and not as clear as usual. Chose 209, and the channel changed.

After that, things started working normally. QuickTune overlay now looks normal, as does the guide. Double play is working again. I have never had these kinds of issues after an update. Before the update, the receiver had become very slow to respond to remote. I was clearing NVRAM weekly, which would help, but only for a day or so. BTW, I recently tried tuning to channel 1 for over 60 seconds without doing the red, red, blue, blue, etc. sequence, as suggested by VOS on another thread. Just tuning to channel 1 did not speed up the unit, but clearing NVRAM (on channel 1) did speed up the unit every single time, albeit temporarily.

I had essentially these symptoms with the following additional symptoms (which, perhaps, eileen22 simply didn't try):

• No "trick play" function (FF, Rew, Pause) would work.
  • None of the number keys on the remote did anything, which means no direct tuning to a channel, and since the grid guide would not populate, and the channel couldn't be changed that way, the only way to change the channel was the channel up/down button. A long process! So, essentially the unit was left as a non-DVR receiver with only a channel up/down control!

My HR20-700 and my HR20-100 had exactly the same symptoms. The HR20-700 spontaneously rebooted itself after leaving it on the unpopulated Playlist (or guide, I don't remember) until it timed out. The time out caused a reboot.

I rebooted the HR20-100 via the menu (which eileen22 reported didn't work).

Both the '700s spontaneous reboot and the manual reboot of the '100 got the units working properly again. No setting or recordings appeared to be lost, but it seems they missed recordings that were supposed to be scheduled while they were in the messed-up state.

EDIT: AlexCF seems to have seen about the same thing too...

I also only discovered the HR20s' screwed up states when I got home from work.

#27 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

Received 62c around 3 AM today, HR20-100. Noticed that YouTube is now gone from Extras. I had never been able to get it to work anyway (see http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=209134) but I was surprised to see it gone. On a whim I tried starting TV Apps (don't think I've ever tried before), several times. Each time: "TV Apps is still initializing. Please try back later. (301)" Pandora works fine and Network Setup->Advanced Setup->Connect Now works fine (result code 88-962). "Network Services->Connect now" fails with "Unable to start Network Services (<301>)" (again, see the thread reference above).

Something else I noticed is that what is shown for "My DIRECTV" looks different. Or maybe it has been different for a while and I just use the List button so much that I haven't previously noticed. Blue rectangles in a 4x2 matrix, top row titled "What's on tonight?" and bottom row titled "You Might Like". Not sure how they are coming up with the "You Might Like" suggestions, but they need some work.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#28 OFFLINE   clcoyle

clcoyle

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

Exact same thing happened to me when I returned home from work to watch my favorite shows on my HR20-700.

My HR20-700 received the update shortly before 4am today. When I got home from work just a while ago, I found the list of recorded content to be empty. The rows for the show titles were there, but no text. The disk space bar at the bottom showed 40% free, which is about what it was last time I looked. I scrolled down the phantom list of recordings, and that produced garbage ASCII characters in random spots.

So I exited out of there to find that the guide wouldn't come up. Info brought the banner up, but didn't fill in any text.

The red button fixed it, and the recorded content is still there. First time I've seen an update do that.

Funny that the release notes say the update is for "stability". That's off to a fine start. :rolleyes:

I wish we could opt out of updates. I don't need the DVR to do anything more than it already does.

I guess that's similar to what eileen22 saw. The acronyms scared me away.

#29 OFFLINE   Herzinger

Herzinger

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

I received firmware 62c at 3:38am December 4. My HR20/700 receiver never rebooted. Front panel was dark buttons did nothing. Reset started the Boot but it never made it to Self Test it just kept rebooting over and over. I have a LIANLI EX-20 RAID box connected with one 2TB drive. It was working fine in 5d2 version. I disconnected the RAID box and the receiver restarted OK. Reconnecting RAID that uses Silicon Image SIL5744 RAID controller resulted in the failed boot. Removing the 2TB drive and connecting it directly to the external ESADA connector resulted in a successful reboot but the drive needed to be reformatted since it was no longer under the SteelvVine storage Processor control resulting in the loss of all recorded movies. It looks to me like the LINUX version that was used to build firmware version 62c is not compatible with SIL5744 Storage Processor.

My two HR20-700s received 62C in the early hours of 12/4. One receiver that utilizes the internal hard drive is running OK.

My other HR20 which is connected to an external eSATA RAID-1 mirrored 2TB TenLab TenBox model TB00 will not boot. It was stuck in a rebooting loop displaying the "few seconds more..." screen and then restarting. As with RussBarr, when I disconnected the eSATA RAID box, my receiver booted on the internal drive fine. It updated the software as that internal drive had not been used for years. It seems to be running OK.

I agree with RussBarr that 0x062C seems to not be compatible with certain external drive enclosures. I'm not sure what storage processor the TenBox TB00 uses. Anything I can do? Hope this gets fixed soon...

#30 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

Another anomaly...Since the update pushing the yellow button on the HR20-700 that went bonkers brings up the Quick Tune box rather than the regular info bar.

#31 OFFLINE   mfr13

mfr13

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

Skip to End

I am also experiencing the skip to end problem about 20% of the time unless I am very slow an deliberate when using multiple to skips to get past the 4 minutes of commercials
we get.

HR-44-500 with 2 mini's
Native On 480P/720P/1080i/1080P
Network Connected, HDTV via HDMI video

#32 OFFLINE   RussBarr

RussBarr

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:11 AM

If I had knew of the problem I could have connected the RAID box to a LINUX system and done a image copy to a bare drive and then used the bare drive in the 62c firmware receiver with a stand alone ESATA box. Even though the files are encrypted to a specific receiver the image copy would just copy all the data without knowing what it was and the new stand alone drive would have all the files the original RAID box had. Maybe the next person with this issue (if any) would know how to recover there files.

I do not believe DirecTV will address this problem since they say they do not support external drives.

I have already informed them of the issue and I could fell the person on the other end of the phone eyes glass over as I explained my RAID issue.

I am also posting on an old thread for ESATA external drives.

I would bet the farm that TenBox model TB00 uses a Silicon Image Seelvine RAID controller if not the SIL5744. This RAID controller does not require any special driver since it emulates a single disk drive it self. I have ran bench marks on it in RAID 0, RAID 1 and JBOD and there is very little additional latency from a bare SATA drive. There may be some additional latency after a drive reset as the Steevine controller determines what configuration and what drives are attached to it. My guess is that DirecTV or the LINUX OS has reduced the timeout to a point that the Steelvine controller does not have time to determine it state after a reset. They probably did this to try to reduce the latency on drive retries after a failed command.

You can take the wait and see attitude and hope DirecTV will fix this but I have seen different non RADI drives fail over time as new updates from DirecTV have been released. I think you only hope is to copy your RAID box on to stand alone drive using LINUX (Ubuntu) by installing the High performance file system that DirecTV uses. Since you are running RAID 1 you can remove one of your two drives from the RAID and it will still work. Put the removed drive in a 3.5" external eSATA enclosure priced at $20-$30 and attached it to the DirecTV receiver and it will reformat it and boot loosing all of the data on that drive. Remove the standalone drive from the receiver and attache the RAID box and standalone Drive to the LINUX system with two eSATA ports. Do an IMAGE copy from RAID to stand alone drive. Reinstall the stand alone drive to the receiver and all of your saved video should be there. Once you have it on the standalone drive you could buy a second enclosure and remove the remaining drive from the RAID box and have an additional 2TB drive storage for your second receiver. Let the second receiver reformat the drive do not do the image copy since the video files are encrypted to the original receiver and not valid on any other receiver.

I just put my 2TB drive from my RAID box into a Rosewill RX-358 V2 external enclosure. What a nice case for $30.00. It works fine. Maybe I will add two data drives and use my LIANLI EX-20 RAID box on my PC since I don't think I wil ever be able to use it on my DirecTV receiver again.

You can get additional help by searching how to add an external eSATA dive and copy the existing files from the internal drive to it.
this link may help you http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=142735
also look at http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=148760

Use XFSRestore, you will need to get on a Linux box that has the XFS file system installed with two eSATA ports.

You can still use your TenBox as a RAID on a PC by installing some DATA SATA drives in it instead of the DVR drives it currently has.

If this sounds like too much trouble there is still Ebay.

Edited by RussBarr, 07 December 2012 - 06:46 PM.

#33 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 379 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:56 AM

I forgot to mention that my HR20-700 that had all of the trouble upon receiving the recent update is connected to an eSata drive (1 TB I think). I've had it so long I don't even remember what brand it is, (WD maybe?), but it was on the recommended list and I got it at Best Buy. Anyway, I remember reading here that updates sometimes can cause these external drives to act funny, but this is the first of many updates over the years that ever gave me trouble. It does seem like most of the issues with this update are with external drives. Since the update and RBR, I have had no problems, and the receiver is definitely more responsive than before the update.

#34 OFFLINE   RussBarr

RussBarr

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

Received 62c around 3 AM today, HR20-100. Noticed that YouTube is now gone from Extras. I had never been able to get it to work anyway (see http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=209134) but I was surprised to see it gone. On a whim I tried starting TV Apps (don't think I've ever tried before), several times. Each time: "TV Apps is still initializing. Please try back later. (301)" Pandora works fine and Network Setup->Advanced Setup->Connect Now works fine (result code 88-962). "Network Services->Connect now" fails with "Unable to start Network Services (<301>)" (again, see the thread reference above).

Something else I noticed is that what is shown for "My DIRECTV" looks different. Or maybe it has been different for a while and I just use the List button so much that I haven't previously noticed. Blue rectangles in a 4x2 matrix, top row titled "What's on tonight?" and bottom row titled "You Might Like". Not sure how they are coming up with the "You Might Like" suggestions, but they need some work.

Don't worry about the network service fail <301> I don't think it is used now. As long as the receiver states it is connected to the internet wait one day and try the TV apps again I think they will work.

#35 OFFLINE   Herzinger

Herzinger

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

If I had knew of the problem I could have connected the RAID box to a LINUX system and done a image copy to a bare drive and then used the bare drive in the 62c firmware receiver with a stand alone ESATA box. Even though the files are encrypted to a specific receiver the image copy would just copy all the data without knowing what it was and the new stand alone drive would have all the files the original RAID box had. Maybe the next person with this issue (if any) would know how to recover there files.

RussBarr:

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I will follow the instructions. Too bad DTV is eliminating RAID boxes as an option. I was bit with a failed HD in the past.
I would have PM'd but my post count is too low. Thank you again! :)

#36 OFFLINE   mdeatherage

mdeatherage

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:15 AM

I got 0x62C just now, and I also found the list of existing recordings empty when I first pressed the "List" button. But then I pressed it again, and everything showed up. Channel changing with resolution changes (Native on) seem to be faster too.

#37 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

My HR21 received the update last night and it required rebooting just like one of my HR20s did last week before it would display the program grid or the recorded shows.

#38 OFFLINE   CenturyBreak

CenturyBreak

Mentor

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

In my case, I found only one empty list/guide issue with 062C on an HR20-700, aside from the usual all-around slowness after an update. The first time I watched something from the list, after ending the recording, it went back to an empty list, with only the header for this series link. Exiting list and bringing it back up solved that problem and I haven't seen any other empty lists/guides since.

More importantly, this release solved a HUGE OTA HD recording bug from the previous national release: watching an OTA HD recording while it's still being recorded, or anything else HD was being recorded (partial time-shifting to skip commercials) would invariably have mini-freezes (usually 3 short ones together within a half-second or so), sometimes as often as once per minute!

It was worst after slipping through a commercial break, and worst on my local CBS affiliate, but nearly as bad on FOX. It was less of an issue on NBC and I don't think I ever saw it on ABC, but that may be more a case of scheduling... when I finally got around to watching the recordings. ;)

With 062C: gone! Whew... I thought it was my WD Green in an external TT dock starting to fail. Nope... DTV fixes something for a change! :D Okay, I'll admit, it has happened from time to time before...

Now, if they would only give us back trick play while in PIG/PIL. Yeah, like that's gonna happen... :rolleyes: :nono2:

#39 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

Interesting to see the issues posted. I got this on my HR20-700 about a week ago (or so) and it has performed better than it has in almost a year. I only came here to see if they halted the roll out because my HR23 hasnt gotten it yet.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#40 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,702 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

Interesting to see the issues posted. I got this on my HR20-700 about a week ago (or so) and it has performed better than it has in almost a year. I only came here to see if they halted the roll out because my HR23 hasn't gotten it yet.

My HR23 got it this morning at 4 am but my HR24 did not.
You should get it in the next couple of days.

I am still testing mine and waiting on all the Guide stuff to load before making an evaluation about it.
I did find that the guide and the play list were as previously stated by others to be missing. A second try on each of them brought them up.
I did a reset anyway. I always do after a software update, the same as a PC.

Edit 12/12/12: My HR24 got the new software this morning. When I pressed the list button there was no list, at first. I let it sit for about 6 seconds and it popped up. Same thing with the guide. I then reset the receiver. An earlier poster had commented about the startup so I paid attention to the restart cycle of each of the units. The HR23 took 11 minutes. I could not believe how fast the HR24 went thru this operation. It only took 4 minutes. My units both used to take 8 minutes.
I have tried all the things I normally do, jumped channels, surfed the guide, played, FF, Slow motion, etc. etc. and all appears to work as it should.
The HR24 is definitely faster at changing channels and most other things like scrolling thru the guide. I do have the 720p and 1080i checked and run Native ON.

Edited by jimmie57, 12 December 2012 - 07:18 AM.
Added Information

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...