Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers and R22: 0x062C (Winter 2013) Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
119 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   mdyonke

mdyonke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

HR20-100 stock. I have two problems that I never had before; one makes the DVR really unuseable. I have rebooted several times.

1. I now have many recentrecordings that say they have recorded the full program, but when I push Play, the play bar shows a full bar of orange but then it jumps to end and shows me the Delete/Don't Delete option that you get at the end of the viewing a recording. So I can't watch any of these recordings.

2. A little harder to describe: Wake up in the morning. The DVR is recording a channel and the DVR is "tuned" to another channel that I was watching when I turned it off the night before. The problem is that the channel I was watching is black and no sound. If I tune to another channel I get the same thing: no picture and no sound. I then tune to a OTA channel and I get picture and sound. Tune back to a DTV channel and still nothing. If I tune to the recording channel I get picture and sound. I can fix this by going to Settings > Sat & Antenna > View Signal Strength -- get warning about this will stop my recording > Yes, Interrupt. As soon as I do that the PIG, which was black, now starts showing the channel. It's pretty clear to me that the UI layer thinks everything is OK, but the lower-layers hijacked a tuner overnight. This only happens early in the morning.

I know I have an old DVR, but so far it has served me well. Now I really dislike this box. I'm going to talk my friends who use other companies.

Should I try to get DTV to replace my DVR (I know I'll have to sign up for two-year contract, but I don't want to pay for a new DVR)?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

First thing to ask, do you have native on?

No.

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

#103 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

No.

Tune to channel 1 for a couple minutes, and then see if anything speeds up.

#104 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,481 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

HR20-100 stock. I have two problems that I never had before; one makes the DVR really unuseable. I have rebooted several times.

1. I now have many recentrecordings that say they have recorded the full program, but when I push Play, the play bar shows a full bar of orange but then it jumps to end and shows me the Delete/Don't Delete option that you get at the end of the viewing a recording. So I can't watch any of these recordings.

Does it do the same thing if you press the Select button and then press the Select button on the Menu ?

2. A little harder to describe: Wake up in the morning. The DVR is recording a channel and the DVR is "tuned" to another channel that I was watching when I turned it off the night before. The problem is that the channel I was watching is black and no sound. If I tune to another channel I get the same thing: no picture and no sound. I then tune to a OTA channel and I get picture and sound. Tune back to a DTV channel and still nothing. If I tune to the recording channel I get picture and sound. I can fix this by going to Settings > Sat & Antenna > View Signal Strength -- get warning about this will stop my recording > Yes, Interrupt. As soon as I do that the PIG, which was black, now starts showing the channel. It's pretty clear to me that the UI layer thinks everything is OK, but the lower-layers hijacked a tuner overnight. This only happens early in the morning.

Have you tried pressing the Exit button a couple of times to see if it will bring the screen back ?
Or, use your TV remote and change the Input to a different one and then come back to where it is supposed to be ?

I know I have an old DVR, but so far it has served me well. Now I really dislike this box. I'm going to talk my friends who use other companies.

Should I try to get DTV to replace my DVR (I know I'll have to sign up for two-year contract, but I don't want to pay for a new DVR)?

See above.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#105 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

Both my HR23 and HR24 occasionally switch into the screensaver mode when they are on the same channel for a long time. Why? When I try to take my HR23 out of the screensaver mode by switching to a new channel, the screen goes black and stays black for a long time, like 30 seconds. Thanks.

#106 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

If it's not paused, it should not be coming up, it's a bug. The only thing that should happen is if no buttons are pressed for four hours, it starts to go into power save mode if that is turned on.

#107 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

Both my HR23 and HR24 occasionally switch into the screensaver mode when they are on the same channel for a long time. Why? When I try to take my HR23 out of the screensaver mode by switching to a new channel, the screen goes black and stays black for a long time, like 30 seconds. Thanks.

Saw this bug for the first time last night...we were watching the Golden Globes and at around 10:30 PM the screensaver came up on our HR24-500. It cleared by pressing "play" (even though we were watching live).

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#108 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,481 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

I don't know why it is doing that but any button press on the remote is supposed to bring it out of the Screen Saver.
Have you tried pressing the Pause or the Exit button to see if they will make it go away ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#109 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,218 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

All of my receivers do this--the HR20s, HR22s, and HR24s. Every time I turn on my home theater system, the screen shows the screensaver floating around. I have to push a button on my Harmony remote to get rid of the thing. Strangely, this never happens when I stay on the same channel and watch something live. It has only been occurring when I turn on the entire system for the day. (Note: I do not have my DVRs turn off; their power remains on.)

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#110 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

If the receiver is defective, a replacement should not trigger a new contract. So yeah, if its not working right, call and get a new one. They may run you through some diag steps or even send a installer to check first before replacing though.

#111 OFFLINE   skinnyJM

skinnyJM

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts
  • LocationDFW DMA

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

Separate problems with both R22-100 units tonight.
DVR 1- Dumped buffer at 6PM CST.
DVR 2- Unresponsive to both remote and front panel input. Had to RBR.
0x062c had been doing well (other than the usual stuff that has been discussed on this forum many times) here.

DIRECTV since April 2000.

#112 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

I don't know why it is doing that but any button press on the remote is supposed to bring it out of the Screen Saver.
Have you tried pressing the Pause or the Exit button to see if they will make it go away ?

The screen saver always goes away when I press PLAY. I was just worried that my units were failing, especially since I put new hard drives in both of them. The data was transferred from my old hard drives.

#113 OFFLINE   mdyonke

mdyonke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

If the receiver is defective, a replacement should not trigger a new contract. So yeah, if its not working right, call and get a new one. They may run you through some diag steps or even send a installer to check first before replacing though.

I fixed this by pulling the AC plug, waiting a while, and plugging it back in again. Next morning everthing was working as normal. I had done serveral RBR with no effect. Clearly, pull-the-plug is sometimes more effective than RBRing.

#114 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 810 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

HR24-100, HR22-100 and HR21-100

I had this issue with the last NR and it happened again yesterday.

When the new HD channels went live, the SD versions were removed from my custom guide. However, the new HD versions weren't added. So I basically lost 3 channels in my custom guide.

If I tried to tune to those numbers directly from the remote, they would come up. However, when I hit Info and went over to the favorites tab to add them back, they showed they were already in the Custom 1 list. To get them added, I had to go the long way through Menu and then to favorites and then to edit favorites. From there, I was able to add the three channels back to the custom list.

I'm sure this is because I had the option to "hide SD duplicates" selected.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#115 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

HR24-100, HR22-100 and HR21-100

I had this issue with the last NR and it happened again yesterday.

When the new HD channels went live, the SD versions were removed from my custom guide. However, the new HD versions weren't added. So I basically lost 3 channels in my custom guide.

If I tried to tune to those numbers directly from the remote, they would come up. However, when I hit Info and went over to the favorites tab to add them back, they showed they were already in the Custom 1 list. To get them added, I had to go the long way through Menu and then to favorites and then to edit favorites. From there, I was able to add the three channels back to the custom list.

I'm sure this is because I had the option to "hide SD duplicates" selected.

As you suspect hide sd duplicates was the cause. It would be faster to simply type the channel number in so it tuned to that channel, then in the info bar go to favorites and move down to ad this channel the favorites list and click and your done. No need to get into menus. ;)

#116 OFFLINE   VARTV

VARTV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA, USA

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Recordings made with AM21N can be played on other receivers but after a minute or two, the picture starts to stutter. Receivers are interconnected via Ethernet (cat6, gig switches and router). I have 4 HR24s and 2 HR21s...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

With DirecTV since October 2004. My complete setup on 1/1/2013...

#117 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 810 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

As you suspect hide sd duplicates was the cause. It would be faster to simply type the channel number in so it tuned to that channel, then in the info bar go to favorites and move down to ad this channel the favorites list and click and your done. No need to get into menus. ;)

I tried the direct tune/info bar approach and it didn't seem to work. When I went to the info bar after direct tuning, it showed the channel was already part of the custom list (it just wouldn't show up in the guide). I'm guessing the DVR went to the SD version when I direct tuned the channel because it was already in the favorites list. Like I mentioned in the report above, unless I went the menu approach, there was no way to add the HD version because the info bar approach already thought the channel was in the list. Next time I'll try to direct tune, remove the channel from the custom list, change the channel, direct tune again and see if I can add it back.

Thanks,
Rich

HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

#118 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 810 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

So with the new HD additions today, I had to go around and do this again. Instead of going the menu approach, I direct tuned the channel and and did the info bar approach. Even though it says it's already in my Custom 1 favorite, I was able to go down to add to Custom 1 and put it in the list.

Since it shows up as already in custom 1, it still seems like a bug to me.

Thanks,
Rich

#119 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

Since about when 0x062c came down, my HR24 oftentimes reacts to a single press of a particular function button of the remote by doing what I want it to do twice. For example, I am scrolling through a list of saved videos and I hit the down button and the highlight jumps down two items instead of just one. Or I hit the scroll down button and the page jumps two pages instead of just one. My remote doesn't feel sticky. I've noticed the same problem somewhat more occasionally on my HR23. My HR34 doesn't have this problem. Any ideas? Thanks!

#120 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

Since about when 0x062c came down, my HR24 oftentimes reacts to a single press of a particular function button of the remote by doing what I want it to do twice. For example, I am scrolling through a list of saved videos and I hit the down button and the highlight jumps down two items instead of just one. Or I hit the scroll down button and the page jumps two pages instead of just one. My remote doesn't feel sticky. I've noticed the same problem somewhat more occasionally on my HR23. My HR34 doesn't have this problem. Any ideas? Thanks!

I have the same issue and its happened in some other releases as well. I use a Harmony remote with an HR22. The only thing that works for me is to point the remote at a wall next to me and have the IR signal reflect off the wall. Then it doesn't double up.
HR34-700, HR22-100

Protected By... spam firewall...And...