Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Couple of Questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   patg25

patg25

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

Hello Everyone

Haven't bee on the forums for a while, but had a couple of questions that maybe someone can answer.

We had a little snow yesterday in Connecticut. No big deal, no wind. However, I had no HD channels; got the "Searching for Satellite (771)" message. Local came back first, then Nationals later. Yes I am aware that the signal will go out during storms, but a little snow? It didn't go out during the last hurricane (until the power went out that is).

I got a new surround sound system in one of my rooms. I read a couple of years ago that you should turn off Dolby Digital (got HR24s) to avoid the audio dropout problem. Never had a problem with Dolby Digital off. Is that still a problem or has it not yet been solved? Should I turn Dolby Digital back on??

Thanks!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,652 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

Wet snow doesn't take much to give this problem, and if the snow isn't "where you are" it can still be a problem if it's between your dish and the SAT.

"For the most part" the Dolby and encoder issues have been resolved, a while back.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

I get very little snow in Seattle, but when it does snow it is very wet. It only takes a very light accumulation on the dish to block signal. Dry powdery snow can be a foot thick and normally not cause a problem.

#4 OFFLINE   cwtech

cwtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

sounds kinda odd? did you check your signal strength screen. you mentioned u was in/around the hurricane, have you checked your signal strength after it, you said it worked during the strorm, but it could have knocked it off just a little to were u have signal but the least bit of interference would cause trouble... my suggestion would be to check the signal strength on all satellites and posting the results back here

#5 OFFLINE   bubbacummins

bubbacummins

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

I would definitely check the signals or have them checked with a stand alone meter, like others said a relatively dry snow shouldn't effect it too much, a couple weeks ago we got a good 16" here and the dish was pretty much covered and were still getting levels in the upper 60's

image-2845871346.jpg

#6 OFFLINE   bubbacummins

bubbacummins

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

On the Dolby part, I'd agree with VOS on them being mostly resolved, every now n then my AVR will drop the audio, seems though too that my newer Sony HDMI receiver has fewer issues than the older Sony that's connected via optical

spam firewall