Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA channel scanning for non HR34 receivers?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

I'm just revisting an "old" topic wondering if there is any updated information or outlook for if the HR2x and H2x software will be revised to enable OTA scanning (with an AM21 of course) like the HR34 has, including integrating channels into the guide (so they can be tuned, which is the ultimate objective) even if the DirecTV database does not have programming info for that channel/subchannel. (Ideally, it could/should defer to the PSIP pgogram info for the guide if the channel is missing in their database.)

I truly wish Direct had ATSC standard capability such as adding or taking away subchannels depending on what the PSIP stream contains - like most other TV ATSC tuners do on the fly.

Edited by tkrandall, 28 November 2012 - 04:33 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for OTA scanning on HR2X's.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,835 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

My feeling is, it's not going to happen. You know, I was there pretty much day 1 when the HR20 launched back in 2006. From that day forward there really was only one significant improvement to the HR10 (its TiVo-imbued predecessor.) I think it's not quite that bad between the HR2x series and the HR34... I think there will be some continued improvement but you're not going to see major new features like OTA scanning put in. I'm not even sure if the hardware would handle it; at one point I was told that the ATSC tuners in the HR20 at least wouldn't handle PSIP. I don't know about the AM21, clearly it is adaptable to OTA scanning since it does work with HR34 but the software isn't there in the HR2x to do it.

DIRECTV does an excellent job of OTA compared to pretty much every other cable and satellite provider. DISH has done it well in the past but Hopper's ATSC adapter, with its sketchy guide data and single tuner, is a big step back.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   moghedien

moghedien

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

According to the solidsignal website and the Directv forum , the THR22 with AM21 also does scanning. Has anyone tried this with the THR22?

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,410 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

It is a business decision. You can probably count on two fingers how many business decisions have been reversed for the better over the years with respect to the HR2x series. The only one I can come up with off the top of my head is Double-Play.

If TiVo does it, it is because it benefits TiVo. The code is probably already there in the tuner API anyway.

I'd bet there would be a lot broader support for portable eSATA recordings than OTA scanning so you have to be careful what you wish for.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,506 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

The HR10-250 scanned for off-air channels and the THR22 works the same way. But I doubt we'll ever see that feature on the HR2x HD DVRs. I just don't think Off-Air is much of a priority for DirecTV any more.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#7 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,602 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

We have several OTA channels that are OTA in phoenix I would like to use the DVR with ME TV for one. My wife loves Columbo and they have the NBC Mystery Movie 2 hour Columbo on Sunday night.

#8 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

I just wished they would update the guide data for ota.
My local ION station changed freq's from channel 51 to 26. Now the reciever says searching for antenna signal.

#9 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

I just wished they would update the guide data for ota.
My local ION station changed freq's from channel 51 to 26. Now the reciever says searching for antenna signal.

If
1)you could scan and/or do manual setup, and
2) if they would index guide data for OTA stations to the station identity extracted from the PSIP station data contained in the OTA signal during scan or manual set up, rather than from a pre-populated list maintained by zip code, that would not be an issue.

If.

spam firewall