Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Whole Home DVR Issue

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

I seem to have this problem a lot with your posts.

FWIW: connecting a DECA to a 24 doesn't work [for several things] because the 24 won't power it.
The CCK, has been used [by DirecTV] for both the old BB DECA, and the newer Wireless.

The WCCK, has an internal 2-way splitter, where the black DECA you posted earlier and said had a "pass through", uses a diplexer, thus stripping off the DECA from the coax to the receiver. If it didn't, you'd need a bandstop filter.

You posted:
It's like a broadband deca , hooked to a reciever deca , hooked to another receiver deca, hooked to a receiver

Sure reads like you're saying [mistakenly] you can daisychain three DECAs in a row. :nono:

Jesus man .. I don't need a lesson about how he system works , I sit through hours and hours of up training every year that dtv requires us to do to support their system as intended. There really is no reason to respond to every one of the few posts I've made as if you have a better way of doing it. The problem that you have with my posts does not mean a thing because you obviously have a vast do it yourselfer understanding of the system.

The OP asked a questions and I posted that how he has it hooked up is like having a few decas in a row,which we both know is wrong . I described how it should be hooked up to standards not how do it yourselfers hook up the system and that's it .. Plain and simple .. It's great that people here have a resource such as you and you should be proud that you've helped so many people , put your energy to use directed at the people who have the questions not the people who are answering the questions , it's a waste.

But .. As far as your comments to my post .. I go on service calls all day where receivers Decas are plugged into hr24's they cause mrv issues .. People make mistakes during installs ...

Edited by i3rown, 04 December 2012 - 06:38 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

There really is no reason to respond to every one of the few posts I've made

Believe me when I say I'm not responding to every one of your posts. :nono:

I will respond to posts that don't work right, or address the problem.

"I get" that you've had training. I've help some who have created some of the training.
I also work with the engineers developing some of these products, so get to know them quite well.

Things posted here will be googled by others and it helps if errors or misconceptions get corrected, for future readers.
A.K.A VOS

#23 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

This is a common occurrence ... There is still a picture

At a service call from last week

Attached Thumbnails

• image-22825461.jpg

#24 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

This is a common occurrence ... There is still a picture

At a service call from last week

That's been going on since the HR24 & DECA first came out, due to poor training.
I have even heard [worked with someone here] who had an installer use BSF on the inputs of a SWiM-16 :eek2:

I don't know if I've seen every mistake you have, but I've seen things you'd never believe someone would do. :nono2:
A.K.A VOS

#25 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

Believe me when I say I'm not responding to every one of your posts. :nono:

I will respond to posts that don't work right, or address the problem.

"I get" that you've had training. I've help some who have created some of the training.
I also work with the engineers developing some of these products, so get to know them quite well.

Things posted here will be googled by others and it helps if errors or misconceptions get corrected, for future readers.

You realize he said in the second sentence that his hr24 had a cck and a deca right ? So I see no errors and misconceptions ..there is a deca in the reciever yes .. So he has a decaw , a deca and an internal deca basically in line right ? Are you going to disagree with that ? They say towards lnb and towards reciever right .. So for someone who has no idea what a bs filter or a diplexer
Is . In line is going to make sense ? Customers don't have a **** about what makes it work they just want it to work .. Have you ever been in the service class on day 3 talking about rf ? Does anyone care ? No ... They just want it to work and in this case if there is a reciever deca plugged into that hr24 in between the decaw and the ird it's gonna cause some issues .. If its not thee give the poor guy some other ideas

#26 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

You realize he said in the second sentence that his hr24 had a cck and a deca right ?

Let's read it again:

One of the HR 24 has the CCK connected to it as well as the DECA (?). On that particular DVR (HR24), I can see all the programs recorded on the other 2 DVRs.

This DVR has a working DECA, or it wouldn't see the recordings on the other DVRs

So I see no errors and misconceptions ..

Let's reread what you posted:

It's like a broadband deca , hooked to a reciever deca , hooked to another receiver deca, hooked to a receiver

This is where I questioned how you could daisychained.
I can't see how one coax would connect all of these.
Maybe you're meaning one thing, but not typing what you mean.
I'm not a mind reader, so I read what is typed and go from there.

Have you ever been in the service class on day 3 talking about rf ?

I am quite capable of teaching both the class and the trainer, and might do a better job at it too.
My work here on the forum, speaks for itself.
A.K.A VOS

#27 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

You see the "it's like " not .. Actually hooked up this way right ?

Better with ASCII art ?

Wall ---> Internet hardware deca --- > receiver deca ---- > Internal deca ---- > ird

Vs the correct mrv

Wall ---> Internet hardware deca--> internal deca ---> ird

I know his mrv is working .. But if in fact there is an unpowered reciever deca inline it will cause issues ... There is actually a removed reciever deca resolution lol

What I was taking about with the URT is the techs don't care about how the RF is affecting the system but how to diagnose and fix the problem .. Similar situation , he has an issue .. Wants to know the basis of the issue and how to fix it , not the frequency range that is likely being affected ., enough said lets move on. ..

#28 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

What I was taking about with the URT is the techs don't care about how the RF is affecting the system but how to diagnose and fix the problem ..

We have a different approach.
I was taught [or had to learn] "why" things work.
DirecTV's training is more along the lines of "follow our list" of things to do.
Sometimes their list is wrong, and I've been able to get it corrected.

Knowing how and why something works make troubleshooting much better.
A.K.A VOS

#29 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

DirecTV's training is more along the lines of "follow our list" of things to do.

I wouldn't say that .. There is no list , just guidelines , no two systems are exactly the same, We weigh sin , and risk. If I come to your house and its not to our standards I bring it to code , if I can't , I note it and if the customer is a do it yourselfer and makes demands, I rarely do the job. Because the vast majority just want their system to work as designed . This guy .. He just wants his mrv to work right .. His system just needs to be brought to code .... He's not asking to use some unsupported configuration so if the system is just looked over for things like reciever decas where there shouldn't be one , it might just fix his problem .. He doesn't need a lesson on triplexes diplexers band stop and b band .

#30 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:38 AM

Amen to that brutha!!! I can't tell you how many times I've banged my head on a wall trying to explain how I came up with the "real" solution after the so called "experts" wasted countless hours chasing their tails like mindless puppy dogs!
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

Protected By... spam firewall...And...