Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No Grounding Block for new RG-6?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   peabody32

peabody32

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

DTV installation contractor just completed upgrade to SWM in support of an HR-34 and C-31 install. Pre-install, I mounted the J-tube and ran #6 copper bolted to the foot to my grounding rod 15 feet below. The installer saw the ground and said he did not need to use the adjacent grounding block present from the earlier 4-cable install and also attached to the grounding rod. He said that the mount ground covers the coax as well. I disagreed but lost the discussion. I think NEC requires all communication conductors to be grounded prior to entry into the home. What is the verdict and if I am right, what is my recourse?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,823 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

If this ground rod is for the house electrical system there should not be a problem.

Questions of proper and legal grounding can bring up a wide variety of answers and some heated discussions that I have seen on here and another forum in the recent past.
The ground is supposed to be grounded to the same ground as the house electricity.
If this is a second ground rod the extra ground rod can cause what is called a ground loop and possibly send noise into the system which you might hear and it possibly cause lines on your TV screen.

The ground is supposed to carry off static electricity from the dish instead of it riding the cable into the house. With the wire you ran from the dish mount to the rod I would say that has been accomplished.

For what it is worth I had one dish for 12 years that did not have a ground at all.
The second dish I had was imporperly grounded to the AC unit ( had ground only when the AC was running ).
The third dish I had was improperly grounded to a water spigot. Problem with that is the spigot is brass but the water pipes are PVC.
The dish I have now is properly grounded to the house electricity ground.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 946 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

The dish and coax should be grounded. Proper grounding consist of (at minimum) #17 copper clad steel wire from the "dish mount" to a ground block within 20 feet of the main house ground and then a #10 copper wire from the ground block to the house ground.

#4 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

Here is our rule ...

Rg6 with messenger from cleat to a ground block or a swm splitter before it enters the house . If the house ground is not accessible within a reasonable distance we do not bond to a house ground , we do not add a rod because in this state only a license electrician or the home owner can do that , and the rods must be bonded together ..

If the messenger wire is not attached to the rg6 you gotta run a #10 solid copper from the cleat.

#5 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

Also .. No bonding to water anymore because most homes are pex now ..

Protected By... spam firewall...And...