Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New roof and no DirecTv dish for a couple of days

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

I am getting a new roof installed beginning Friday. My slimline dish will be removed and reinstalled by the contractor. I have a HR34, HR24 and HR21 along with MRV. My HR34 also has a AM21 OTA tuner connected to a attic antenna.

My question is: can I still watch and record shows on my OTA locals via the HR34/AM21 and antenna without the Slimline being aimed at a satellite?

If not it is not a huge deal, I can still watch OTA through the TV, but my wife would still like to record a couple of her Friday shows.

Also would it be better just to power down all the HR's rather then have them searching for satellite signal for a couple of days?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

I would. Also, the likelihood of the contractor being able to get your dish back on and realigned properly is miniscule. He will likely remove a fair amount of roofing material which will change the trajectory of the dish substantially. I would suggest that you might want to order a dish alignment ahead of time so that you are set if he isn't able to get it. If you order a service call and cancel before the tech rolls there is no charge.

Edited by Brubear, 28 November 2012 - 07:27 PM.
more info

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

It should work for a day or so. After that, the boxes will get anxious and may start shutting down. Last I recall the number was somewhere around 30 hours between authentications.

I would remind the users of SD DVRs that there don't appear to be any of these involved in this case so your remembrances probably don't apply.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

If the roofing contractor reinstalls it properly with no leaks, I am not so concerned about the alignment. I have installed and aligned a Slimline before and although it is a pain, I am pretty sure I can do it. I may try and get the insurance company to pony up for a professional alignment, but so far they are only authorizing $35.00, which IMO is a joke.

#5 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

Personally, I would never install a sat dish on a roof for several reasons.. (1.) leakage prone at the penetration points, (2.) difficulty to clean off the snow and ice that can collect on the dish, (3.) difficulty to reach to make minor adjustments if needed.

If you have have trees blocking southern view from a lower location, then a roof install may be your only option due to the extra elevation.

I would say the likelihood of a roofer properly installing the dish is... who knows. I'd call D* and see if they'll come out and remount it for you. IIRC (from past threads), if D* measures low signals (assuming your have your IRD connected to a phone line), they sometimes contact customers and will offer a free dish re-alignment.

I've seen lots of roof leaks from improper sat. dish installs. I have my Slimline dish installed about 3' above grade because I often have to scape off ice or wet snow in the winter due to very low signal levels. If it was on the roof, I'd have a problem for months until things melted. My neighbor across the street had a roof install done (no idea why) and loses signal frequently when we get snow/ice since he can't access the dish to clean it off.

Since you're in Colorado and your dish points S/SE, you may not have the same snow/ice problems that those of us in the NE can have.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#6 OFFLINE   davejacobson

davejacobson

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

The worst dish installs I have seen have been done by roofers.The mast is likley not going to be plumb. the roofer is going "to use the same holes" and its not going to be right. Have the roofer remove the dish then have someone that knows how to install a dish correctly do it. Never use the same holes the mount will not be plumb.
A good serviceman is not expensive or free. He is priceless

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,833 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

I would let DirecTV reinstall your dish. They have a special seal / gasket to go under the foot to keep it from leaking and make it fit to the shingles on the roof. Then they would align it for you and generally check out your system.
I think it is money well spent.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

I personally won't do a roof install either. I've insisted on pole mounts since my first install 17 years ago.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#9 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 598 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

I have my Slimline dish installed about 3' above grade because I often have to scape off ice or wet snow in the winter due to very low signal levels. If it was on the roof, I'd have a problem for months until things melted. My neighbor across the street had a roof install done (no idea why) and loses signal frequently when we get snow/ice since he can't access the dish to clean it off.

If you are having that much trouble with ice and snow in the winter, why don't you and your neighbor spend the money on a hot shot dish heater. They are very easy to install and I haven't had a signal loss because of snow and ice for four years since I installed the hot shot. See this site:
http://www.cyberesto...cal-dishes.html

HR10-250   250G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD 0x0987
DirecTV since 1997

#10 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 947 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

I would not let the roofer mount the dish. Have them take it down do the roof work then have DTV come out and reinstall it. I have seen roofers work with satellite dishes and its not pretty. Everything from roofing nails used to "bolt" the dish down to tar gooped all around it with no bolts or nails at all. Do yourself a favor and call DTV.

#11 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

After thinking about it for a while I called DirecTV and they offered me a relocation/install/alignment for $49.00. They also gave me Starz for 6 months for Free!
I went up on the roof and took down the Slimline myself so the roofers will not be touching it.

I set up a favorites list for local OTA channels I receive on the AM21. All is working fine but I bet soon it will complain about no guide data. I hope I can operate this way until next Wednesday. If not I will shut everything down and just watch OTA via the Antenna on the TV.

#12 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

To make you feel better about your purchase , I can't tell you how many odu relocates I go to where the old dish wasnt mounted correctly, Not in a stud or bad mono pole placement, the previous tech possibly even could have used a stubby but it wasnt available or the tech didn't have one. Then I have to put even more holes in their new roof. It also gives the tech an opportunity to assemble a new odu and "start fresh" vs just aligning a possibly mis installed dish.

#13 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

Well the OTA channels on the AM21 only lasted about 12 hours. Woke up this morning to a reboot loop and could not access them or recordings, only the sat setup menu. I got creative tonight and used landscape stakes to stake the Slimline into the grass in the backyard. I also used a rock to level the diepoles and ended up with a 94 signals in 101 and 70's on 103. Now as long as we don't get much wind or have someone bump the Dish, I should be good until DirecTV gets here on Wednesday!!

#14 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:52 AM

You could always call for a relocate and have it put on a pole ...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...