Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Where will I place the MultiSwitch?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   OwnersEdge

OwnersEdge

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 02:13 AM

:hi: I'm about to buy the UTV Dual (2) Sony SAT-W60 system. and so I'm planning my cable installation. Where will I place the MultiSwitch? My dish will be 25 feet from the ideal GroundBlock spot, on the way into the house.

My longest cable run from dish is 25+GroundBlock+77 feet =102.

Shortest run is 25+GroundBlock+38 feet =63 .
[How does that match up with the configuration of most self-install kits? I've seen only one promo package with a 25' and a 75' RG6 cable.]

I am trying to minimize both cost and cable customizing, but if I have to cut&crimp bulk cable I could use your help to find Beige or even White RG6.

1] Where will I place the 2x4 MultiSwitch, at/near the dish so I have to run FOUR cables all the way to the 4 tuners? Or can I run 2 cables from the Dual-LNB to the MultiSwitch inside the house then branch out the four cables from there to the four tuners? Prettier.

2] Are the MultiSwitches weatherproof, if placed at the dish?

3] Is the 18" dish the correct choice for the 100-channel TotalChoice + LocalsIn Local? Minidishes.tv says they get a stronger signal than the Oval.

I sure appreciate the informed and practical experience of so many I've seen in 6 weeks here.

PS I've given up my last hope of finding an attractive deal on RCA UTV, whose remotes are preferred.
HDTV: RCA HD50LPW42 (DLP)
with Sony SatW60 (UTV DVR)
Yamaha rcvr + 5.1 seakers
=======================
27" CRT Monitor
Kenwood rcvr + 3 speakers

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 09:57 AM

1. You can run your two cables from the dish to the multiswitch inside your home and then run your four cables to your receivers. I'd venture to say that is how 95% of the systems are set up.

2. You can buy a weatherproof multi-switch if you have to. I found one on EBay - item #1347585907 for $49.50. It is sold by minidishes.tv, a very reputable dealer.

3. You don't need an oval dish unless you live in an area where you are required to have one to get locals, or you have a HD setup.

Good luck. I don't know where to find white or beige RG-6 cable.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#3 OFFLINE   DBSPaul

DBSPaul

Mentor/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 02:21 PM

White RG-6 coax is easily found at Home Depot. I don't know about beige, but I use white for all my LNB runs (to differentiate them from my antenna signal), plus white is easier to paint for those outside wires.

I would definitely suggest putting the multiswitch inside if at all possible. On some homes this isn't practical, but it places much less thermal stress, etc. on the multiswitch.

In general, an 18" dish gets around the same to slightly higher signal level than an oval (the oval has less effective surface area for each slot). As noted by karl_f, oval DTV dishes are really only required if you want HDTV, are in a market where your locals aren't on the 101 slot, or if you just want the NASA channel. :)

#4 OFFLINE   HarryD

HarryD

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 26 April 2002 - 05:03 PM

I would keep multi-switches in the basement if at all possible. You can buy weather-proof ones but why?
HarryD

#5 OFFLINE   OwnersEdge

OwnersEdge

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 09:10 PM

Thanks everyone!!
Now I can get down to the diiirrrty details.
Minidishes.tv seems to be on vacation. I tried to "qualify" to order 2 UTV 2-3 days ago, no reply yet.

Tnx agin.
=======================
27" CRT Monitor

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2002 - 09:43 AM

I put in an order with them on the 24th and got confirmation of shipping the next day. It was pretty quick. they ship UPS but dont give a tracking number. Anyone know how long it should take?

-daveninja.com

#7 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 10:20 AM

You can go to the UPS website and go to ground shipping. There is a map showing how long it takes to ship to and from anywhere in the country. Minidishes is located in Phoenix, AZ.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#8 OFFLINE   Kenster

Kenster

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 01:42 PM

When you order your equipment via internet, can you still get free professional installation?

#9 OFFLINE   OwnersEdge

OwnersEdge

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 04:27 PM

Good shopping places for UltimateTV - Pro Install?
http://www.Mini-dishes.com No or inquire
http://www.minidishes.tv (Same Co. on eBay)
http://orbitsat.com No [inquire]
http://www.americansatellite.com Yes or No choice
=======================
27" CRT Monitor

spam firewall