Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Gannett Broadcasting and DirecTV contract

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

From my local (Jacksonville, FL) ABC/NBC Gannett owned TV Channels:

DirecTV and Gannett, the parent company of First Coast News (WTLV-NBC 12 and WJXX-ABC 25), are working to reach a fee agreement for the rights to carry the two Jacksonville stations.

If a "fair, market-based" agreement is not reached by midnight Nov. 30, WTLV and WJXX may no longer be available on DirecTV, according to an informational post from Gannett.

In October, Gannett and DISH Network reached an agreement to continue carrying its channels.

Gannett pointed out in its informational post that if an agreement is not reached, customers can still view its channels free over-the-air or on other providers such as Comcast or AT&T.

I couldn't find if this impacts all Gannett stations, but here is a list of their stations according to Wikipedia:

WBIR-TV in Knoxville, Tennessee
WXIA-TV and WATL in Atlanta (Pacific and Southern Company, Inc.)
WUSA in Washington, D.C.
KPNX in Phoenix
WTSP in Tampa-St. Petersburg (Pacific and Southern Company, Inc.)
KARE in Minneapolis-Saint Paul
KUSA-TV and KTVD in Denver
WKYC-TV in Cleveland
KXTV in Sacramento, California
KSDK in St. Louis
WZZM-TV in Grand Rapids, Michigan
WFMY-TV in Greensboro, North Carolina
WJXX and WTLV in Jacksonville, Florida
WGRZ-TV in Buffalo, New York
KTHV-TV in Little Rock, Arkansas
WLTX in Columbia, South Carolina
WMAZ-TV in Macon, Georgia
WCSH-TV in Portland, Maine
WLBZ-TV in Bangor, Maine

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

Just saw a notice about this on WZZM ABC channel 13 out of Grand Rapids. Luckily this DMA has WOTV ABC 41 so there is still an ABC affiliate on DIRECTV.

#3 OFFLINE   neeme

neeme

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

Yet another DirecTV contract dispute is potentially removing the NBC station in Minneapolis this week. And the local station ran the annoyance banner during the Rockefeller Christmas special of all times. Many years ago I had a long distance network HD waiver for CBS and FOX from New York. This was back in the Phase III dish, MPEG2, RCA DTC100, HR10-250 channel 80-99 days. However this NBC station refused to allow an HD waiver. I am torn who I am cheering for in this battle. In any case I posted the following to the local stations dispute comment/question page:

Please let your viewers know that they can still get KARE11 on their DirecTV HD DVR receivers with the AM21 OTA tuner addon or legacy HR10-250 DirecTiVo receivers with OTA antenna capability. Info is availble on dbstalk.com, tivocommunity.com, and other sites.

Does anyone think the guide data for the OTA tunners will be messed with if the dispute continues? Contract disputes, just one more reason to love the HR10-250 with OTA HD.

#4 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

I just saw this on Facebook.

A message for DirecTV customers:

At 9NEWS, nothing is more important to us than providing all of our viewers the very best news, weather, sports and entertainment in our area, and being a part of this community.

To do that, our company must reach agreements with TV providers that bring our signal into your home. We are proud of the fact that in our history we have NEVER had a situation where a major distributor stopped carrying our station. In fact, just this past October we reached a multi-year agreement with DISH Network.

Now, we are negotiating an agreement with DirecTV and, unfortunately, so far DirecTV has refused to reach a fair, market-based agreement with us.

If no deal is reached by midnight on November 30, DirecTV customers could lose 9NEWS. That would mean losing some of your favorite programming including “The Voice”, Sunday Night Football, “Parenthood” and “Saturday Night Live” and your local 9NEWS news, weather and sports.

We are as disappointed as you are about this situation. After all, the deal being discussed with DirecTV is fundamentally similar to the deal we just reached with DISH Network.

You can help us resolve this matter. If you contact DirecTV at 1-888-777-2454 and let them know you want 9NEWS on air, it may help us reach a deal. Also, you should know you have choices. 9NEWS has agreements with every other provider in our area, and we are always available free over-the-air. Click here http://www.9news.com/ to learn more.

Thank you for taking the time to read this message. We will continue to post updates here as our negotiations continue and hope you will share this information with any of your friends who also subscribe to DirecTV.

#5 OFFLINE   neeme

neeme

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

Thank you for contacting us. We understand your frustration with these types of disputes. We certainly don't expect you to take sides in this negotiation.

Our goal is simply to reach a fair deal with DirecTV through direct negotiations between our companies. That's how we've reached agreements with every other distributor in the country. In fact, that's why we've NEVER had a service disruption with a major TV provider.

We know that while these negotiations are happening it can be tough on our viewers. Our sole focus is getting a deal done as quickly as we can and keeping our viewers updated about the situation and the choices they have to get our programming. Any announcements about our negotiations with DirecTV will be made on our website, our Facebook Page and our Twitter account.

In the meantime, KARE 11 remains available on all the other TV providers in our area, such as DISH Network, Charter Communications, Comcast, Mediacom and other local providers as well as free over-the-air. We are also continually updating www_kare11_com with the area's latest breaking news, weather and sports. Click here for a list of options of other providers.

Thank you for being a loyal viewer.

The Team at KARE 11

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

According to the press release in this thread http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2670915#post2670915, DirecTV and Gannett signed a retransmission deal in Dec 2010. Seems odd that it was only for two years.

#7 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Didn't Gannett just have a nasty dispute with Dish earlier this year?
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#8 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

Does this has anything to do with the To Be Announced Alerts on channel 12-1 here in Jacksonville?

#9 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

yuuuup

#10 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=3108102#post3108102.
Last month.

#11 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,926 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

When I figure out what ABC programs I watch in KXTV in Sacramento, thats when I'll be concerned.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#12 ONLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,708 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:13 AM

And here we go again. :nono2:
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#13 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:36 AM

Does this has anything to do with the To Be Announced Alerts on channel 12-1 here in Jacksonville?

I doubt it. I have WTSP in Tampa and the guide has info up through the next 2 weeks as usual.

#14 OFFLINE   Fab55

Fab55

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

I understand the contract re-negotiations, it's a fact of life. But the local channel doesn't need to continually run a scrawl across the screen saying that they're in a dispute with DTV, and that we should look at other providers or OTA for our viewing needs. No reason IMHO to put us, the viewers, in the middle! Viacom did the same thing, redonkulous....

#15 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

I understand the contract re-negotiations, it's a fact of life. But the local channel doesn't need to continually run a scrawl across the screen saying that they're in a dispute with DTV, and that we should look at other providers or OTA for our viewing needs. No reason IMHO to put us, the viewers, in the middle! Viacom did the same thing, redonkulous....

Spot on...agree. I suspect most folks find that to be annoying...which is why it is used as a negotiating ploy. :nono2:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#16 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

Spot on...agree. I suspect most folks find that to be annoying...which is why it is used as a negotiating ploy. :nono2:

I hate it because multiple non-Directv subscribers call in and say "Well, it says to call in...".....sigh...

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#17 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

KSDK in St Louis had this on their Facebook page last night and got ripped by tons of people saying they are sick of this and they don't want to pay more for their programming. It was kind of funny.

#18 OFFLINE   wcr

wcr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

Here is the Facebook post by 12 News (KPNX) here in Phoenix... https://www.facebook...473198952731575

Wouldn't it be funny if the Gannett stations had to resort to must carry??? :lol:

#19 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

To an earlier post, yes DISH and Gannett had a dispute.

And of course even though the airways are public, corporations can still their free signals to satellite and cable operators. All these disputes do is force more people to the cable channels and away from broadcast stations. They are only cutting their own throats.

KUSA, an NBC affiliate, is not helping ratings for NBC. And KTVD is a MyTV affiliate. Neither are a loss. So, when ABC, CBS, FOX, MyTV, and the CW finally put their bottom lines ahead of their affiliates, then we may see an end to the annual or bi-annual disputes between out of town faceless corporations.

#20 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

What's pretty clear is a pattern of greed at the National broadcast network level that has now trickled down to greed at the local affiliate (or group affiliate) level. All the transmission carriers - cable and satellite - get hit with higher premiums at contract renewal time. It's virtually a "routine".

Remember a few years ago when your local station built that fancy upgraded their news set and/or upgraded to HD. Despite capturing advertising revenue...that didin't seem to be enough to cover those costs...or so we're led to believe.

Everyone in the TV broadcast chain wants a piece of consumer wallets, whether or not they are replicating the majority of their programming content or not. Only a small portion of local station content is local...so this is virtually "double-dipping" into our wallets for the 90% of non-local broadcast content transmission.

Even the FCC has this topic for evaluation on their radar.

My view is that if Gannett shuts off their transmission as "threatened" in their banner notices...the greatest risk is to Gannett - people might not notice or not care. Either way...they lose in the end. The revenue-craving greed has to stop.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

Protected By... spam firewall...And...