Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Gannett Broadcasting and DirecTV contract

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,026 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

Didn't Gannett just have a nasty dispute with Dish earlier this year?

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of DIRECTV and Sinclair back in July (resolved shortly before the DIRECTV .vs. Viacom ballyhoo).

DISH went at it with Gannett last month, but the channels never blinked.

DIRECTV is an industry leader in carriage disputes.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,845 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of DIRECTV and Sinclair back in July (resolved shortly before the DIRECTV .vs. Viacom ballyhoo).

DIRECTV is an industry leader in carriage disputes.

I hope they wear that badge proudly...as continuing to coddle or cave in to broadcast content provider greed is a doomed practice in the long run, not to mention unacceptable.

In Dish's case...they've lost so many channels due to not wanting to paying higher channel prices that they are now the carriage dispute "leader" bar none.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#23 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

KARE ran the same message over their programming re DISH last month before that was settled. So you not only get to enjoy the messages about your own provider, but actually every provider as the individual contracts come up.

The reality is, broadcast TV has become essentially a cable channel business model --advertising + subscriptions. This was necessary because ad revenue has been going down in broadcast because of increased competition (and therefore fewer viewers and fewer ad dollars) from cable, the internet, etc.

"Retransmission fees" (the industry name for what cable/satellite pay broadcast TV) are probably extending the life of broadcast television, but likely not indefinitely. Eventually the demand for mobile bandwidth is going to cause Congress and the TV stations to cut a deal to sell that bandwidth and become true cable channels instead, particularly around the major urban centers (broadcast will likely survive in the hinterlands longer). IMO that is inevitable --just a matter of when.

Edited by georule, 29 November 2012 - 02:21 PM.

LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#24 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,026 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

I hope they wear that badge proudly...as continuing to coddle or cave in to broadcast content provider greed is a doomed practice in the long run, not to mention unacceptable.

You'll have a tough time convincing those DIRECTV customers who can't watch the Pac-12 network that agreements can't be arrived at since most other carriers have long ago reached agreement.

In Dish's case...they've lost so many channels due to not wanting to paying higher channel prices that they are now the carriage dispute "leader" bar none.

DIRECTV's solution is apparently to avoid striking a carriage agreement in the first place. I find it comical that you consider it noble when DIRECTV goes to battle but ridiculous when DISH is similarly engaged.

DIRECTV has darkened quite a few channels this year until somebody caved. Absent the conflicts about Autohop and long-term archiving, you have to wonder where the problem lies and ultimately, who blinked.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#25 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

According to some posts in the Dish thread, the channels went down for about two hours.

It's hilarious though how their channels claim to never had any problems, yet the viewers obviously remember the constant tickers and ads during the potential dispute with Dish. In that case they were suggesting viewers go to DirecTV even though they were well aware that their contract with DirecTV is up for renewal only two months later... Imagine the backlash they will get from any viewers who actually did follow the suggestions and switched.

#26 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,845 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

I find it comical that you consider it noble when DIRECTV goes to battle but ridiculous when DISH is similarly engaged.

I find it even more amazing that a Dish subscriber would care about anything DirecTV does... :rolleyes:

The DirecTV model seems to be go toe-to-toe for the best settlement. The Dish model seems to be try for a cheaper price and if not successful...pull the channel.

#27 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,723 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

DIRECTV has darkened quite a few channels this year until somebody caved. Absent the conflicts about Autohop and long-term archiving, you have to wonder where the problem lies and ultimately, who blinked.

As you should know by now, DIRECTV doesn't darken channels; the content people do.

Not all disputes end when someone "blinks" or "caves". A settlement may be fair to both parties and reached without either blinking or caving.

I find it comical that you consider it noble when DIRECTV goes to battle but ridiculous when DISH is similarly engaged.

Pot->Kettle->Black......
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#28 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,026 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

I find it even more amazing that a Dish subscriber would care about anything DirecTV does... :rolleyes:

With the leapfrogging that the two competitors have long engaged in, it is the best way to figure out where the industry is going (or not going).

To assume that the milk will always be sweeter on the DIRECTV teat is what is unfathomable.

#29 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,845 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

With the leapfrogging that the two competitors have long engaged in, it is the best way to figure out where the industry is going (or not going).

To assume that the milk will always be sweeter on the DIRECTV teat is what is unfathomable.

They may be in the same general industry, but their approaches on this topic couldn't be more different.

I guess whoever is most successful in terms of subscriber numbers and growth will render the only vote that matters as to the best approach.

#30 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,207 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

WXIA is an NBC affiliate and WATL is MyTV here in Atlanta, in my personal opinion I don't see much a loss.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#31 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

You'll have a tough time convincing those DIRECTV customers who can't watch the Pac-12 network that agreements can't be arrived at since most other carriers have long ago reached agreement.DIRECTV's solution is apparently to avoid striking a carriage agreement in the first place. I find it comical that you consider it noble when DIRECTV goes to battle but ridiculous when DISH is similarly engaged.

The difference being that DirecTV actually resolves their retrans renewal disputes. Dish Network doesn't have nearly as good a track record. They are more likely to end up in court instead.
DTV = Digital Television

#32 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

The two have been competing for nearly 17 years. The milk has been sweeter with DirecTV that entire time. When exactly is this change supposed to happen?

#33 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,026 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

Dish Network doesn't have nearly as good a track record. They are more likely to end up in court instead.

If going to court can keep the price (not to be confused with the cost) down, surely DIRECTV needs to look into it.

It isn't laudable that even with the efforts that they've gone to (and the suffering that many subscribers have had to endure), DIRECTV's ARPU looks to be on a fast path to surpass the century mark. That's a "success" that only stockholders can appreciate.

#34 OFFLINE   jmyotis

jmyotis

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

Take a look at the response I got from KUSA 9 news in Denver, inquiring about the contract with DirecTV. They could not even update the canned response to reflect DirecTV and left it as DISH.
"Thanks for contacting us. We understand your frustration with these types of corporate disputes. We certainly don't expect you to take sides in this negotiation.

Our goal is simply to reach a fair deal with DISH through direct negotiations between our companies. That's how we've reached agreements with every other distributor in the country. In fact, that's why we've NEVER had a service disruption with a major TV provider.

We know that while these negotiations are happening it can be tough on our viewers. Our sole focus is getting a deal done as quickly as we can and keeping our viewers updated about the situation and the choices they have to get our programming. Any announcements about our negotiations with DISH Network will be made on our website, our Facebook Page and our Twitter account.

In the meantime, KUSA and KTVD remains available on all the other TV providers in our area, such as DirecTV, Comcast and other local providers as well as free over-the-air. We are also continually updating with the area's latest breaking news, weather and sports.

Thank you for being a loyal viewer.

The Team at 9 News"

Pathetic

#35 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

If going to court can keep the price (not to be confused with the cost) down, surely DIRECTV needs to look into it.

It isn't laudable that even with the efforts that they've gone to (and the suffering that many subscribers have had to endure), DIRECTV's ARPU looks to be on a fast path to surpass the century mark. That's a "success" that only stockholders can appreciate.

It's Dish customers that suffer while they go without following no deals or bad deals. I'll stick with the far more successful provider in DirecTV. I prefer the provider that succeeds while remaining ethical.
DTV = Digital Television

#36 OFFLINE   iceburg02

iceburg02

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

I think one of Gannett's biggest issues with DISH was the Hopper's potential gutting of their ad revenue. My guess is this D* battle is just posturing on both sides, and we'll see an eleventh hour deal.

Kinda reminds me of when the hospital networks and the insurance carriers have a contract about to expire. They wait 'til the very end, they both go to the court of public opinion and then kiss & make up later because neither can live without the other.

#37 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

WXIA is an NBC affiliate and WATL is MyTV here in Atlanta, in my personal opinion I don't see much a loss.

Well here it's my CBS affiliate and as I watch nearly every prime time show, newscast, and some NFL football games on there it has the potential to affect my viewing habits. Planning to purchase a small antenna tomorrow. And at the end of my contract I am going to seriously consider dropping all pay TV services. I'll miss NFL ST but I'm to the point I'm just fed up with the crawls, arguing, etc. I side with Directv in nearly every dispute. I don't fault them for the fees going up. I'm just sick of it being an issue. I do not remember what some of you had...cable channels with no commercials. But the logic makes sense. I'm just tired of it.

#38 OFFLINE   coit

coit

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

Why do the Sat companies have to pay to carry channels that are free over the air? And why aren't the DBS companies entitled to charge the locals to carry their programming to more people?

#39 OFFLINE   neeme

neeme

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

I have two HR10-250 legacy DirecTiVo with OTA HD on account for when my HR22s and THR22 go dark on local NBC sat feed. My two AM21 OTA USB addon tuners will still work. So please hold firm DirecTV. I am still annoyed from 2004 when the local NBC station denied my long distance HD waiver, back in the MPEG2 HD Phase III dish days, when they did not even broadcast in HD. You did not have HD OTA but used legal tactic loopholes to prevent me from using the rather expensive equipment I owned, RCA DTC100, to watch NBC in HD. I had CBS and FOX in MPEG2 HD with waivers, and those local affliates did have broadcast HD when local NBC station did not. I hope DirecTV breaks you Gannet!!!!! I rarely side with DirecTV because I am a TiVo ethusiast, but here the local NBC needs to be smacked down hard. As the ultimate cross the line, the local NBC station is running the complaint spot ads and complaint crawler on OTA. On last thing, my THR22 has NBC on-demand channel 1004 disabled because the new DirecTiVo cannot disable trickplay on the on-demand channels as NBC requires. As technology moves forward, what I can do with it has moved backwards thanks to companies like Gannet. :mad:

#40 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:27 AM

Well, "how nice for me." Finally I get even more benefit from my NBC NY/LA I've been paying a few bucks extra for all these years.

A couple years ago, just as I was almost ready to drop 'em, they let us "distant" subscribers finally receive NY/LA in HD again. Was told by a CSR way back that I was "grandfathered in" when I complained about losing the HD feeds but still able to receive SD distant, but would not be able to get them back if I ever did drop them.

I find nowadays (in addition to the benefit of a WC feed) that I'd long since gotten tired of KARE ruining NBC broadcasts with any minor storm within 300 miles of the Twin Cities with squish graphics and scrolling banners and rarely ever use that channel anymore.

Way back when (I was also an "early adopter" back in the MPEG2 Phase III days, DTC 100, HR10, etc..) I was fortunate (living far enough from the immediate Mpls viewing area) to actually have gotten waivers from CBS, FOX, and NBC. (That old stick-in-the-mud Hubbard - KSTP - would never let me get ABC, despite several attempts, so I never watched that network).

Once the locals were finally available in HD I lost the waivers, but was able to keep NBC as long as I paid a few bucks extra for it. Funny that the NBC waiver initially included WC (LA), but that was taken away well before HD local was available, then restored in SD when the extra fee option was offered.

At any rate, as I said, "How nice for me" that I shouldn't be affected. As a side note, I don't believe there have been any NBC channels avilable on UHF translator since the Mpls viewing area had been gerrymandered into a Northern central strip all the way to the top of the state a number of years ago.

Now, if I could just get old "stick-in-the mud" to quit using old VHS-quality SD equipment to time delay ABC late night programming (Kimmel, New Year, etc..) I might be persuaded to watch more ABC. Maybe I need to threaten to "talk to the Mouse," but that's another topic for another day.

Suffice it to say, local affiliates can really suck sometimes.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...