Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Gannett Broadcasting and DirecTV contract

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,890 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:10 AM

I find it even more amazing that a Dish subscriber would care about anything DirecTV does... :rolleyes:

The DirecTV model seems to be go toe-to-toe for the best settlement. The Dish model seems to be try for a cheaper price and if not successful...pull the channel.

+1......That's one of the reasons why I won't switch to DISH.

Edited by MysteryMan, 30 November 2012 - 05:27 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:22 AM

Why do the Sat companies have to pay to carry channels that are free over the air? And why aren't the DBS companies entitled to charge the locals to carry their programming to more people?

Very good questions left unanswered by the FCC.

Suffice it to say, local affiliates can really suck sometimes.

That certainly seems to be the case here...

+1......That's one of the reasons why I won't switch to DISH.

I suspect a longer list can be constructed. :D

In the mean time...we'll see this unfolds this weekend.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#43 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

I'd only care to watch NBC if SF is on SNF. That happens on 12/16. I'll watch it using the antenna. KPNX is not a channel I'll miss.

#44 OFFLINE   Red Dog

Red Dog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

Why do the Sat companies have to pay to carry channels that are free over the air? And why aren't the DBS companies entitled to charge the locals to carry their programming to more people?

This is what I don't understand for cable and sat. That and why local channels would try and make it harder for people to watch their channels - it simply hurts their ratings, which is where their money is made. It's a mutually beneficial relationship.

#45 OFFLINE   wcr

wcr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

In 1998, the laws changed allowing broadcast stations to take one of two positions, Consent to Retransmit or Must Carry.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Must-carry

#46 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

In 1998, the laws changed allowing broadcast stations to take one of two positions, Consent to Retransmit or Must Carry.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Must-carry

Which is actually a fair law I'd say;

Where the problem comes in is when station(s) (or its ownership group) chooses the "consent to retransmit" option as most do, and the DBS/CATV/Telco providers refuse to pay the asking price. They have to remove the station from their system, but are not allowed by law to supplement those stations with out of market local programming such as DNS service so you may still get the network programs which is what subscribers really want.

Therefore these greedy station ownership groups know this and are exploiting this law that was never intended for this purpose to extort ever increasing fees from the providers.

#47 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

Which is actually a fair law I'd say;

Where the problem comes in is when station(s) (or its ownership group) chooses the "consent to retransmit" option as most do, and the DBS/CATV/Telco providers refuse to pay the asking price. They have to remove the station from their system, but are not allowed by law to supplement those stations with out of market local programming such as DNS service so you may still get the network programs which is what subscribers really want.

Therefore these greedy station ownership groups know this and are exploiting this law that was never intended for this purpose to extort ever increasing fees from the providers.

I think that answers the question I was going to ask. Could DTV put on the national feed of CBS in place of WUSA? Sounds like they cannot. I hope they settle this today or I'm not going to be happy at all. Two games tomorrow I would like to watch on WUSA. The UK/Baylor basketball game. Then the SEC championship game at 4 pm. There's going to be a lot of unhappy people if they can't watch the latter,for sure.

#48 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

Par for the course for Gannet I guess....

While back their local newspaper here nearly doubled the cost of a subscription when they added internet services whether you wanted/used them or not.

I mean seriously...I get the paper 3 days a week (mainly for the Sunday coupons and store ads and you want to double my bill so I can use you phone app if I want (which I never did...mainly because it was lame).

Was like pulling teeth to get my subscription cancelled. I talked to one of my neighbors...he had such a hard time cancelling his subscription that he just quit paying them. Paper came for another 2 weeks....then they sent him to collections for his 'unpaid bill".

#49 OFFLINE   StephenJC

StephenJC

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

How would this affect the ondemand channels? 1004 or 1007. Would they be blocked during this?

#50 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,902 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

Probably not.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#51 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

I think that answers the question I was going to ask. Could DTV put on the national feed of CBS in place of WUSA? Sounds like they cannot. I hope they settle this today or I'm not going to be happy at all. Two games tomorrow I would like to watch on WUSA. The UK/Baylor basketball game. Then the SEC championship game at 4 pm. There's going to be a lot of unhappy people if they can't watch the latter,for sure.

No, under penalty of law DIRECTV cannot bypass the local stations that way with out of market locals from DNS service for instance to the affected Gannet held DMAs.

This is the key to their leverage over the providers in these disputes which the government (as expected :rolleyes:) helps them by protecting these obsolete dinosaur local broadcast stations and not repealing this outdated law.

#52 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

I'd only care to watch NBC if SF is on SNF. That happens on 12/16. I'll watch it using the antenna. KPNX is not a channel I'll miss.

Same here with me in Ohio. I don`t need to watch anything on WKYC NBC Ch.3 Cleveland. I hardly ever watch it at all, now that I`m thinking about it.

#53 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

I went out and bought an antenna today so if anything happens I'd still have the local one they own. Got it home, plugged it in, and every channels works with no problem except 1...our Gannett owned CBS channel for which I bought the antenna for!

#54 OFFLINE   stevec328

stevec328

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

I went out and bought an antenna today so if anything happens I'd still have the local one they own. Got it home, plugged it in, and every channels works with no problem except 1...our Gannett owned CBS channel for which I bought the antenna for!

Well, that s*cks. Sounds about like my luck. I'm going to wait and see if they resolve this quickly. If not, I'll be putting up an antenna for my local NBC Gannett owned station ( WBIR Knoxville). Wife's got to have the Today show.

#55 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,115 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

Tampa's CBS station is on VHF, unfortunately many antennas marketed as "HDTV" or "Digital" are UHF only despite the fact that nearly every market has at least one VHF station. If it's just the CBS station you need, try getting a pair of rabbit ears.

#56 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

The local stations contend that the cable and satellite companies make a profit from showing their content. They want part of that profit.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#57 OFFLINE   stevec328

stevec328

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

I just hooked up an antenna to pick up my local NBC ( WBIR Channel 10 Knoxville ) and guess what? Directv has the Directv promise channel overriding my ota channel ( 10-1 ) and I cannot pick up programming ota. I have emailed both Directv and WBIR to see if anything can but done but I am not hopeful. I was really trying to stay neutral in this, but it may cause me to ditch Directv after 12 years. Not happy about this at all.

#58 OFFLINE   dxtrfn80

dxtrfn80

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

In Caswell, Rockingham, Patrick and Alleghany counties they also get WDBJ also so they won't be shut out if WFMY is taken off DTV tonight.

#59 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,084 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

I just hooked up an antenna to pick up my local NBC ( WBIR Channel 10 Knoxville ) and guess what? Directv has the Directv promise channel overriding my ota channel ( 10-1 ) and I cannot pick up programming ota.

IIRC if you use the all channels option for the guide you'll see two 10-1's in it, the first is their channel, the second should be the OTA version of WBIR.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#60 OFFLINE   stevec328

stevec328

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

IIRC if you use the all channels option for the guide you'll see two 10-1's in it, the first is their channel, the second should be the OTA version of WBIR.

Thank you. You are correct. And thanks for the quick reply. Now I'm off to go take a blood pressure pill. :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...