Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Gannett Broadcasting and DirecTV contract

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

Why do the Sat companies have to pay to carry channels that are free over the air?

Probably because the cable companies found out that they weren't paying and they wanted to make sure the DBS companies got equally bent over.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#62 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

It's Dish customers that suffer while they go without following no deals or bad deals.

As I pointed out earlier, the suffering continues for Pac-12 hopefuls and those many HD channels that carriers offer that DIRECTV doesn't.

I'll stick with the far more successful provider in DirecTV. I prefer the provider that succeeds while remaining ethical.

If success is measured in churn, DIRECTV is running high (for both the DIRECTV US and DIRECTV LA segments). Same with BBB complaints (DIRECTV 3:1 .vs. DISH). Neither is an indicator happy customers nor a mark of an organization who is "remaining ethical".

As I observed earlier, you seem to be favoring the viewpoint of a stockholder as opposed to that of a subscriber and even that seems to be mostly a matter of ginormous revenues over not-so-great metrics.

It seems likely that the Gannett deal will come soon enough and it will be back to business as usual but the battles seem to be more frequent and more public as time goes on.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#63 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,102 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

It's interesting to note that in at least 2 of the affected cities...the big black annoying banners with bold yellow print "warning" people of the impending potential loss of the local station has been replaced by a softer occasional screen showing up during commercial times.

Hmmm.....
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#64 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,348 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

As I pointed out earlier, the suffering continues for Pac-12 hopefuls and those many HD channels that carriers offer that DIRECTV doesn't.

Suffering, eh?! Yes, a half dozen folks whined and moaned loudly re Pac12, but so what? And many worthy HD channels DIRECTV doesn't carry!!What are they??

I'll be enjoying the rematch of UCLA and Stanford this afternoon. Name one great game I missed because I don't have the Pac12 Network.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#65 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

It's interesting to note that in at least 2 of the affected cities...the big black annoying banners with bold yellow print "warning" people of the impending potential loss of the local station has been replaced by a softer occasional screen showing up during commercial times.

There comes a point in every campaign where everyone knows what's at stake and the banners/signs are just plain annoying. I congratulate the stations for recognizing this.

#66 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

It seems likely that the Gannett deal will come soon enough and it will be back to business as usual but the battles seem to be more frequent and more public as time goes on.

That's industry wide.

The fact remains however that DirecTV has been far more successful in actually resolving disputes and/or doing so more quickly than Dish Network has. Given that...plus having more HD channels, superior HD picture quality, and my being repulsed by the Dish penchant for patent theft/contract violation/industry poisoning technology choices...I'm happy with DirecTV.

Yes, the deal with Gannett will get done. Why? Because DirecTV happens to be good at getting things like this done. As opposed to the revolving door of FAIL that is Dish Network.

#67 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Hmmm.....

Both sides seem to soften their public posturing when a deal is getting closer to being completed.

#68 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,102 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

Both sides seem to soften their public posturing when a deal is getting closer to being completed.

You noticed that too huh? ;)
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#69 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

Suffering, eh?! Yes, a half dozen folks whined and moaned loudly re Pac12, but so what?

This thread is, in part, about how well DIRECTV is doing with both its negotiations and clearly defined segments of its subscribers. If DIRECTV wasn't all about providing the best sports coverage bar none, it wouldn't be a big deal.

And many worthy HD channels DIRECTV doesn't carry!!What are they??

There's a thread for that: http://www.dbstalk.c...el anticipation Post #3 has a mostly complete run-down.

There are ongoing crys for the various CSNs (Philly, Houston, Northwest) that are missing. I'm pretty sure if DIRECTV subscribers were given a crack at MAV TV or Outdoor and Sportsman in HD, they'd enjoy it.

I'll be enjoying the rematch of UCLA and Stanford this afternoon. Name one great game I missed because I don't have the Pac12 Network.....

If Stanford hadn't beat Oregon, you probably would have missed the original matchup. Dodged that bullet -- this time. I'm betting that you didn't have an opportunity to watch the Oregon - UCLA volleyball match.

#70 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

If DIRECTV wasn't all about providing the best sports coverage bar none, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Which DirecTV does a much better job of than any other provider in the country. The lone exceptions to to their lineup are very limited. Dish Network is WAY behind in sports content. DirecTV IS the sports leader and no one else even comes close.

#71 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

Here's my dream scenario for locals and broadcast networks that will never, ever come to pass.

Satellite subscribers would have east and west feeds of the big four broadcast networks, much like HBO, Showtime, etc. These feeds would not be associated with any particular local affiliate. It would be the very same feeds they distribute to their affiliates. They would be dark during hours when the network is not running national programming.

Of course this would screw up local ads that appear in national programming. :D

Pacific and Mountain folks could enjoy prime time programming earlier in their local time, if they desired, by watching the east feeds. Central and Eastern folks could enjoy later opportunities to watch or record shows during the west feed.

Local affiliates would also remain in the lineup, and one could watch network programming on these channels or on the raw feeds mentioned above. This is where local news and syndicated programming would continue to be viewed.

One could add additional locals from one or more additional DMAs for a small fee, subject to them being present in the spotbeam that reaches your dish. It seems like so many cable companies provide duplicate network affiliates from adjoining DMAs; why can't satellite do this?

Of course, there would still be carriage fights, but hopefully when a particular network was fighting with a satellite provider, the affiliate carrying that same network wouldn't be fighting with the satellite provider, and vice versa. :nono:

That is my completely frivolous take on the matter. Yeah, it's all money and advertising and territorial. Bah.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#72 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

Satellite subscribers would have east and west feeds of the big four broadcast networks, much like HBO, Showtime, etc.

The NAB puts on a multi-million dollar lobbying effort that you would have to surpass. Let us know when you're getting close and maybe we'll throw in.

#73 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,153 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

One could add additional locals from one or more additional DMAs for a small fee, subject to them being present in the spotbeam that reaches your dish. It seems like so many cable companies provide duplicate network affiliates from adjoining DMAs; why can't satellite do this?

DirecTV does in some areas, parts of the Hartford market that are close to NYC can get WCBS, WNBC and WNYW and the parts that are close to Boston can get some of their stations.

Also, while cable can do it, depending on the area, some cable systems have to black out the network programming on the neighboring affiliates and the local affiliates can also invoke the syndex rules blocking duplicate syndicated shows.

#74 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 697 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

Here's my dream scenario for locals and broadcast networks that will never, ever come to pass.

Satellite subscribers would have east and west feeds of the big four broadcast networks, much like HBO, Showtime, etc. These feeds would not be associated with any particular local affiliate. It would be the very same feeds they distribute to their affiliates. They would be dark during hours when the network is not running national programming.

Of course this would screw up local ads that appear in national programming. :D

Pacific and Mountain folks could enjoy prime time programming earlier in their local time, if they desired, by watching the east feeds. Central and Eastern folks could enjoy later opportunities to watch or record shows during the west feed.

Local affiliates would also remain in the lineup, and one could watch network programming on these channels or on the raw feeds mentioned above. This is where local news and syndicated programming would continue to be viewed.

Of course, there would still be carriage fights, but hopefully when a particular network was fighting with a satellite provider, the affiliate carrying that same network wouldn't be fighting with the satellite provider, and vice versa. :nono:

That is my completely frivolous take on the matter. Yeah, it's all money and advertising and territorial. Bah.

This ability was available with the large satellite dishes, before the advent of DirecTV and DISH. Matter of fact ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS offered pure wild feeds; originally free, eventually one had to pay for them.

Of course, Congress, with heavy lobbying by NAB, created the restrictions we see today.

One note, in Canada not only one can get any major Canadian station on satellite, you can also get the US major networks. I guess CTRC and Parliament are not as bought off as the FCC and Congress.

#75 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,153 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

One note, in Canada not only one can get any major Canadian station on satellite, you can also get the US major networks. I guess CTRC and Parliament are not as bought off as the FCC and Congress.

While they do carry the US networks in Canada, during prime time most of them are replaced with a simulcast of the Canadian network whenever the same program is on, so if you were to watch Grey's Anatomy on ABC, you would see CTV's broadcast.

#76 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

This ability was available with the large satellite dishes, before the advent of DirecTV and DISH. Matter of fact ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS offered pure wild feeds; originally free, eventually one had to pay for them.

Of course, Congress, with heavy lobbying by NAB, created the restrictions we see today.

Actually, with a big dish, you can get all the networks, and in most cases, all four time zone feeds, free right now. I watch them all the time, especially football. The Canadian ones, however, are all scrambled, and cannot be received in the US. Shame, since I used to watch quite a few programs on CBC.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#77 OFFLINE   Lefky

Lefky

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

Does anyone know if my local CBS is still gone on Sunday, will DirecTV lift the blackout of the NFL football game my local CBS channel would have normally broadcast?

#78 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,411 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

And here we go again. :nono2:

Yep <sigh>

#79 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

Does anyone know if my local CBS is still gone on Sunday, will DirecTV lift the blackout of the NFL football game my local CBS channel would have normally broadcast?

No. Your local broadcaster has exclusive rights to the broadcast inside your DMA.

#80 OFFLINE   neeme

neeme

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

What out of all markets billing address would I need to get long distance network feeds permitted and would I be able to get both east and west coast feeds? Would an RV account allow this? HR10-250, HR20 and AM21 would provide OTA locals assuming the guide data remains available. Gannet disallowed my HD LDN waiver when they did not even offer HD in their market. How about DirecTV drop all Gannet networks and rather than a bill credit, they ship each affected customer an AM21 upon request. They wouldn't have to pay for what they do not distribute and neither would the customer.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...