Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Gannett Broadcasting and DirecTV contract

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

Let me ask you this, how do you know they didn't cave?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Lucid504

Lucid504

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:38 AM

Still on here in St Louis,MO at 12:39am Central Time.

Edit:
Still on at 1:41am they are still scrolling that it will be removed at midnight lol

Edited by Lucid504, 01 December 2012 - 01:42 AM.

#103 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

Let me ask you this, how do you know they didn't cave?

I have no idea if either side did or did not cave. However, I am also not the one claiming to know that. You are. If you have some information about the deal or how the final agreement was reached...I'm all ears. It would be very interesting to hear about the exact terms of the initial offers and then what was finally agreed upon.
DTV = Digital Television

#104 OFFLINE   Lucid504

Lucid504

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:13 AM

Guess they agreed to a contract or something as its 4:56am and still get KSDK in St Louis,MO

Edited by Lucid504, 01 December 2012 - 04:56 AM.

#105 OFFLINE   wilsonc

wilsonc

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:15 AM

No, under penalty of law DIRECTV cannot bypass the local stations that way with out of market locals from DNS service for instance to the affected Gannet held DMAs.

This is the key to their leverage over the providers in these disputes which the government (as expected :rolleyes:) helps them by protecting these obsolete dinosaur local broadcast stations and not repealing this outdated law.

Didn't Directv do just that during their negotiations with Hearst-Argyle Broadcasting a few months ago. I seem to remember they added a channel from Pennsylvania to the Orlando market to compensate for loosing access to the NBC affiliate WESH.

#106 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:36 AM

Didn't Directv do just that during their negotiations with Hearst-Argyle Broadcasting a few months ago. I seem to remember they added a channel from Pennsylvania to the Orlando market to compensate for loosing access to the NBC affiliate WESH.

No, local cable outlet Brighthouse did that in Orlando.

#107 OFFLINE   Lucid504

Lucid504

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:46 AM

According to my Local Affiliate KSDK who is owned by Gannett Broadcasting, there has been no news about the negotiations.

#108 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,626 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

Looks like the sky didn't fall after all... :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#109 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

I have no idea if either side did or did not cave. However, I am also not the one claiming to know that. You are. If you have some information about the deal or how the final agreement was reached...I'm all ears. It would be very interesting to hear about the exact terms of the initial offers and then what was finally agreed upon.

DirecTV has clearly stated they don't want to burden people who have no interest in a particular channel (notably expensive "sports" channels) to have to pay for them.

This was prior to the lakers, so in my eyes, they caved. No idea why you're trying to convince me otherwise. I'm sure anyone who has followed DirecTV and their statements over the past year in regards to various negotiations will agree with me.

I'm sorry it bothers you so much, but it is what it is.

I also still have my local Gannett station as of this morning.

#110 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 991 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

Looks like the sky didn't fall after all... :D

Yet.

I'll feel better when a deal is announced. As of now, it appears a deal isn't done yet, but the fact that the channels are still up does suggest to me that progress was made and a deal is close.

#111 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

DirecTV has clearly stated they don't want to burden people who have no interest in a particular channel (notably expensive "sports" channels) to have to pay for them.

This was prior to the lakers, so in my eyes, they caved. No idea why you're trying to convince me otherwise. I'm sure anyone who has followed DirecTV and their statements over the past year in regards to various negotiations will agree with me.

I'm sorry it bothers you so much, but it is what it is.

I also still have my local Gannett station as of this morning.

You are assuming that one side caved based upon absolutely nothing.
DTV = Digital Television

#112 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,824 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

The DirecTV page is down on News10.net, and redirects to the main page.

From http://www.marketwat...ent-2012-12-01:

PRESS RELEASE
Dec. 1, 2012, 10:00 a.m. EST
Statement regarding Gannett-DirecTV agreement

MCLEAN, Va., Dec. 1, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Gannett and DirecTV have reached an agreement regarding DirecTV's continued retransmission of Gannett stations.

And that's the entire release.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#113 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

That's industry wide.

The fact remains however that DirecTV has been far more successful in actually resolving disputes and/or doing so more quickly than Dish Network has. Given that...plus having more HD channels, superior HD picture quality, and my being repulsed by the Dish penchant for patent theft/contract violation/industry poisoning technology choices...I'm happy with DirecTV.

Yes, the deal with Gannett will get done. Why? Because DirecTV happens to be good at getting things like this done. As opposed to the revolving door of FAIL that is Dish Network.

same old anti dish antics

#114 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

Yet another successful deal completed by DirecTV.
DTV = Digital Television

#115 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,538 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

+1

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#116 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

You are assuming that one side caved based upon absolutely nothing.

I'm not assuming anything; I'm forming my own conclusion and it's not based on "nothing," it's in the statement you quoted from me.

Your circular arguments are just strange.

#117 OFFLINE   wcr

wcr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

This was just posted to the Directv Twitter account:

DIRECTV: Gannett and DIRECTV have reached an agreement regarding DIRECTV's continued retransmission of Gannett stations.

I wonder how long until we have to go through this again.

#118 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,699 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

+1

+2. Case closed. Over and out. :)

#119 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

Why do the Sat companies have to pay to carry channels that are free over the air? And why aren't the DBS companies entitled to charge the locals to carry their programming to more people?

GREED!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#120 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

I'm happy it's done. But I don't consider it successful. Successful to me in this medium is deals getting done without one side or the other running crawls over shows, creating web sites, public bickering, etc. I mean its done and I'm glad we didn't lose any channels, it just doesn't say success to me.

spam firewall