Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dish won't allow me to have another Hopper?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ukwes21

ukwes21

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

Going to talk to Ray and see if he can help.

Edited by ukwes21, 29 November 2012 - 12:48 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

How many do you have? I believe 2 is the lease limit. If more than that you need to purchase one.

#3 OFFLINE   ukwes21

ukwes21

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

I had one installed yesterday and with a Joey and I haven't been impressed with the tuner situation and though I could switch out my Joey for another Hopper. Dish online rep is telling that you are not allowed to have 2 hoppers. I know that is not true since multiple people on here have 2 Hoppers. I'm going to talk to Ray tomorrow to see if he can help me.

#4 OFFLINE   ken1403

ken1403

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

I changed a joey for a hopper after my install of 1 hopper and 3 joey's. It will not be free. The standard lease fee is $100.00 unless you can get a better deal. I now have 2 hopper's and 2 joey's and am very happy for the most part.

#5 OFFLINE   ukwes21

ukwes21

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

I told them I understand that I will have to pay for it. But they said you are not allowed to have 2 hoppers. Which is why I am all confused.

#6 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

I told them I understand that I will have to pay for it. But they said you are not allowed to have 2 hoppers. Which is why I am all confused.

I am not a dish person but I read a lot.
I think I have read that you can not have just hoppers, you must have hoppers and joeys.
If you kept the joey and added another hopper and possibly another joey.
??????

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

I'm going to talk to Ray tomorrow to see if he can help me.

Best way to do it.

#8 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

It was my understanding that 2 Joeys are needed with 2 Hoppers.

#9 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

I am not a dish person but I read a lot.
I think I have read that you can not have just hoppers, you must have hoppers and joeys.
If you kept the joey and added another hopper and possibly another joey.
??????

Nah, there are plenty of us with two Hoppers and no Joeys. He just needs to get help from the DIRT folks on here, I'm sure they will clear it up.

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,895 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

It was my understanding that 2 Joeys are needed with 2 Hoppers.

The "normal" way of ordering a system has Hoppers and Joeys ... but one can always return equipment. Setting up 2 hoppers and 2 or more Joeys then cancelling the unneeded Joeys is one way around the order system. Getting a DIRT member who can set up the special order is the other way.

It is best when the two Hoppers are installed up front ... then the installer does not have to come back and install the duo node.

#11 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

When Hopper was released I got 2 Hoopers and 1 Joey...nothing is set in stone, with exception of a 2 Hopper lease limit... which I would like to see change.....
Thank you and
Best of luck

#12 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

more than 2 hoppers is...technologically interesting.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,895 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

more than 2 hoppers is...technologically interesting.

But not that hard to do. The hardest part is having the fifth DISHPro feed to feed the second hub. A duo hub serving two hoppers works nicely on a stock 1k LNB (either western or eastern arc) or a DPP44. But adding the hub for the third hopper requires a feed that isn't there unless one chains two DPP44s off of their dish (and once someone does that the door is open for a second duo hub ... four hoppers).

Tying the two systems together isn't hard in a three Hopper system - although at some point the MoCA bandwidth is going to get saturated. That could happen if there were several Joeys on the system and the Hoppers were all trying to talk to the Joeys and each other at the same time.

#14 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

If you can't get any help with getting another Hopper just keep the Joey you already have, order another Hopper and another Joey, then return the unneeded Joeys when you get the new Hopper installed.

James Long: I used a DPP44 and a DPP33. I think I was the first one on these and other various Dish forums to realize that you can just daisy chain the nodes for MoCA communication.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,895 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

I forget about the DPP33 ... but I also have four orbitals (EA + 118) so the DPP44s would be in my solution. With only two hoppers it is easier to run the node right off of the dish and use the input on the 1k4 to add 118.

#16 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

Very true. In my case, I only need 3 orbitals (Hoppers are on WA 110/119/129, unrelated but I have the 722k on EA 61.5/72.7/77,) so the cheaper DPP33 works plus the added benefit of one less power inserter needed :) .

Curious, what receivers (and how many) do you have?

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#17 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 865 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

Very true. In my case, I only need 3 orbitals (Hoppers are on WA 110/119/129, unrelated but I have the 722k on EA 61.5/72.7/77,) so the cheaper DPP33 works plus the added benefit of one less power inserter needed :) .

I have in my existing system a DPP44 and a DP34 feeding 3 VIP622/722s and a couple of 211s and am thinking I would like to leave them in the system when I convert to the H/J, two Hoppers and two Joeys, sytem as my internal wiring is all set up this way but am curious about what you mean for daisy chaining the MoCa for the Joeys.

Would it be possible to supply a simple diagram of how your system is set up?

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#18 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

I have in my existing system a DPP44 and a DP34 feeding 3 VIP622/722s and a couple of 211s and am thinking I would like to leave them in the system when I convert to the H/J, two Hoppers and two Joeys, sytem as my internal wiring is all set up this way but am curious about what you mean for daisy chaining the MoCa for the Joeys.

Would it be possible to supply a simple diagram of how your system is set up?

Unfortunately, Dish will not allow you to do this. Only 211 can remain with H/J, but only if owned and with RV exemption.

#19 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

But not that hard to do. The hardest part is having the fifth DISHPro feed to feed the second hub. A duo hub serving two hoppers works nicely on a stock 1k LNB (either western or eastern arc) or a DPP44. But adding the hub for the third hopper requires a feed that isn't there unless one chains two DPP44s off of their dish (and once someone does that the door is open for a second duo hub ... four hoppers).

Tying the two systems together isn't hard in a three Hopper system - although at some point the MoCA bandwidth is going to get saturated. That could happen if there were several Joeys on the system and the Hoppers were all trying to talk to the Joeys and each other at the same time.

QED...'interesting' :)

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#20 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 569 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:27 AM

If you can get the the "schematic" that was drawn and mentioned at this link, it will show you how to do it. Ya gotta dig. I did and finally found it. But that was a long time ago, otherwise I would have posted the direct link. Sorry.

http://www.satellite...-hopper-install

Protected By... spam firewall...And...