Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dish won't allow me to have another Hopper?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

Unfortunately, Dish will not allow you to do this. Only 211 can remain with H/J, but only if owned and with RV exemption.

I should have been clearer. I didn't mean to leave the VIPs in the system, just meant to leave the DPP44 and DP34 in the system.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

If you can get the the "schematic" that was drawn and mentioned at this link, it will show you how to do it. Ya gotta dig. I did and finally found it. But that was a long time ago, otherwise I would have posted the direct link. Sorry.
http://www.satellite...-hopper-install

Thanks, that was perfect. Since I have all the hardware already installed, the DPP44 and DP34 switch, I could add a third Hopper quite easily if I wanted to purchase one. Not sure but would expect that I might have to get a DPP33 switch to replace the DP34 but that would be an easy swap with all the cables there and in place.

I still believe in magic
!

#23 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

I should have been clearer. I didn't mean to leave the VIPs in the system, just meant to leave the DPP44 and DP34 in the system.

How many Hoppers are you looking at getting? You need one coax for each Hopper and all the Joeys are connected on the one coax from the node, so 2 Hoppers and all Joeys would only need three outputs from the switch. No second switch would be needed at all.

#24 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,612 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

Not sure but would expect that I might have to get a DPP33 switch to replace the DP34 but that would be an easy swap with all the cables there and in place.

You will need to swap the DP34 for the DPP33. The hopper node expects DPP connections to the inputs.

(DPs can only put feeds from one satellite on a coax ... DPP can put the feed of two satellites on a coax. To feed the three tuners on the Hopper, the node needs to be able to split the inputs between more than one satellite location.)

You need one coax for each Hopper and all the Joeys are connected on the one coax from the node, so 2 Hoppers and all Joeys would only need three outputs from the switch. No second switch would be needed at all.

Hoppers need unique feeds from a NODE not a switch. A duo node feeds two Hoppers, a solo node feeds one Hopper. One would need a duo node and a solo node to feed three Hoppers.

Then one has to deal with the inputs to the nodes. The duo node needs three DPP inputs, the solo node needs two DPP input. A three Hopper system needs five DPP inputs. One can feed four DPP inputs off of a DPP44 or three DPP inputs from a DPP33 ... to get five DPP feeds to feed five DPP inputs one needs two DPP switches.

(It might appear to work with less ... but there are combinations of viewing and recording that will cause a system that does not have all of the feeds to fail.)

#25 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

Thanks, that was perfect. Since I have all the hardware already installed, the DPP44 and DP34 switch, I could add a third Hopper quite easily if I wanted to purchase one. Not sure but would expect that I might have to get a DPP33 switch to replace the DP34 but that would be an easy swap with all the cables there and in place.

You're welcome for the diagram. Even if my phone signature annoys you :hurah: .

Hopper requires DPP equipment. You'd need either the DPP33 or another DPP44.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#26 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

How many Hoppers are you looking at getting? You need one coax for each Hopper and all the Joeys are connected on the one coax from the node, so 2 Hoppers and all Joeys would only need three outputs from the switch. No second switch would be needed at all.

Originally planned to get 2H and 2J but considering that I have a DPP44 already, I started thinking of 3H and 2J, with the thought of returning one J or 1 H or keeping them depending on how I end up configuring my system.

I still believe in magic
!

#27 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

You will need to swap the DP34 for the DPP33. The hopper node expects DPP connections to the inputs.

(DPs can only put feeds from one satellite on a coax ... DPP can put the feed of two satellites on a coax. To feed the three tuners on the Hopper, the node needs to be able to split the inputs between more than one satellite location.)

I kinda guessed that would be the case.

Hoppers need unique feeds from a NODE not a switch. A duo node feeds two Hoppers, a solo node feeds one Hopper. One would need a duo node and a solo node to feed three Hoppers.

Thats where the diagram from Halo comes in handy. If I do decide to do this I want to be able to show the installer how to do it.:grin:

Then one has to deal with the inputs to the nodes. The duo node needs three DPP inputs, the solo node needs two DPP input. A three Hopper system needs five DPP inputs. One can feed four DPP inputs off of a DPP44 or three DPP inputs from a DPP33 ... to get five DPP feeds to feed five DPP inputs one needs two DPP switches.

Thanks for your expertise. It's nice to have a better idea of how things work.
(I always tell my wife it's magic)

I still believe in magic
!

#28 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

You're welcome for the diagram. Even if my phone signature annoys you :hurah: .

Hopper requires DPP equipment. You'd need either the DPP33 or another DPP44.

Yup, got that and thanks again for the diagram without the signature.:D

We are currently experiencing severe weather here, 2 3/4 inches rain overnight and flooding all over the place along with tree limbs down, etc. Hope my power holds through the football games today. I do have a UPS at my TV and Dish system, a UPS at my computers, and a smaller UPS out in the garage feeding the power to the DPP44 and a Cable amp for my basic cable and internet.

Had the cable diplexed with the dish feed to the back bedroom just to see if I could do it. Worked fine but have pulled that out since I plan on putting a Hopper back there for my wife's exclusive use.

I have to check my cable labeling to make sure it is all current and correct, and then wait for the storms to pass. I want to get this done before 12/21/12.:grin:
Total rain since Wednesday: 7 inches.

I still believe in magic
!

#29 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

This site doesn't allow phone signatures :P .

You've only got 19 days to accomplish this, good luck :D .

Also, as you may or may not know, you'll have to purchase the third Hopper. Dish will only lease up to 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys. I originally got 2H/2J from Dish, then purchased the third one a couple of months later when I realized I needed more tuners. I installed it myself so I wouldn't have to pay Dish to do it. However, if you purchase Hopper #3 beforehand and order the 2H/2J, you should be able to use that diagram to show the installer how to do it. You can always return unwanted Joeys later.

Edited by 3HaloODST, 02 December 2012 - 03:47 PM.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

spam firewall