Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV over Cat6

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   heptech

heptech

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

I have heard that the HD or HD DVR receivers can output video and audio only over cat6. where no component/HDMI is used to receive video signal. Is that correct? if so can someone please explain to me how that works. Also if it is possible would there be a way to digitally record that feed to a computer over the cat6 cable?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,188 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

I have heard that the HD or HD DVR receivers can output video and audio only over cat6. where no component/HDMI is used to receive video signal. Is that correct? if so can someone please explain to me how that works. Also if it is possible would there be a way to digitally record that feed to a computer over the cat6 cable?

Briefly, through the "Whole Home DVR Service" (WHDVRS @ $3.00/mo.) DIRECTV HD DVRs may receive or stream recorded programming to other HD-DVRs by ethernet or over coax networking known as "DECA" either by an internal or added external adapter for older receivers.

HD receivers may only receive streams from other HD-DVRs by means of the same in/external adapters except for the H25 which can only be coax networked through its internal DECA and has no ethernet port.

You may stream programming from an HD-DVR to a PC using an application called "DIRECTV2PC," but for viewing only.

You may not record them to a PC's HDD though.

The new HR34 and RVU client(s) or "Genie" system is a whole other issue,

#3 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

The new HR34 and RVU client(s) or "Genie" system is a whole other issue,

Is it? Doesn't whole home DVR service (2 HR24s for example) over coax use a form of RVU implementation? Is it different protocol and spectrum than say a c31 communicates to an hr34?

#4 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

DirecTV2PC and/or WHDVR DVRs only transmit recordings over the network. They will not transmit live TV.

Genie/RVU offers the full DirecTV "experience" including UI over a network.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/RVU_protocol

In either case the video stream will be encrypted (DLNA), so capturing is unlikely.

#5 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Understood. But I'm asking is the transport mechanism (frequencies assigned and used on the coax and the communication protocol) between boxes different or is it just the features supported for a c31 client that is different?

Stated differently. If I have a hr34 and a C31 as well as an hr24 all on the same whole home DVR network, is the fundamental video transport protocol/mechanism on the coax for the hr34 and c31 client different than between the hr34 and hr24? Not the features supported. The communication/transport mechanism.

#6 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:48 AM

Understood. But I'm asking is the transport mechanism (frequencies assigned and used on the coax and the communication protocol) between boxes different or is it just the features supported for a c31 client that is different?

Stated differently. If I have a hr34 and a C31 as well as an hr24 all on the same whole home DVR network, is the fundamental video transport protocol/mechanism on the coax for the hr34 and c31 client different than between the hr34 and hr24? Not the features supported. The communication/transport mechanism.

Yes they are different. HR34&C31 use the RVU protocol while HR to HR or H use "whole home" protocol using DECA or the unsupported Ethernet connection. RVU is only supported by the HR34 and C31 and some select Samsung TV's. I'm not sure anyone but directv would know exactly what "Whole home" is but we do know its not RVU.

#7 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:29 AM

Google mid-rf moca , in the simplest of answers.. No what your asking is not possible .

It's like using a balun.. It's just using the cat 6 as a mechanism to transfer the signal , it requires the same "decoder" at both ends.

#8 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

I had confused MOCA and RVU. Its been a while since I had read on the topics. They can go together I see (RVU can be via MOCA or ethernet or....), but MOCa dn RVU are not the same.

That said, what communicationa/linking mechanism is DirecTV using for their RVU implementation (HR34 and C31 or RVU compatible Samsung TV)

#9 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

I had confused MOCA and RVU. Its been a while since I had read on the topics. They can go together I see (RVU can be via MOCA or ethernet or....), but MOCa dn RVU are not the same.

That said, what communicationa/linking mechanism is DirecTV using for their RVU implementation (HR34 and C31 or RVU compatible Samsung TV)

They use MOCA via the built in DECA on a C31 or a broadband DECA for a non-DirecTV client.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#10 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

Which gets back to my original question. I see now the transport mechanism for both RVU clients and directv's proprietary whole home DVR service is MOCA utilizing external or internal DECAs. The communication protocols/standards for the two services are different, but I deduce they can both simultaneously exist on the same in home MOCA network

#11 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,029 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

One thing common between WHDVR and RVU is both use TCP/IP for the transmission protocol.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#12 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:50 AM

Which gets back to my original question. I see now the transport mechanism for both RVU clients and directv's proprietary whole home DVR service is MOCA utilizing external or internal DECAs. The communication protocols/standards for the two services are different, but I deduce they can both simultaneously exist on the same in home MOCA network

So now google ... Mrv frequencies , and then google connecting RVU TV to HR34. It will start
To make sense ..

Protected By... spam firewall...And...