Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

When is the Genie available?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

I'm looking to upgrade my Old HR20-100. I can't decide between the HD Tivo or the Genie. The problem is the website says Genie is "coming soon". Its been that way for a while now. Any idea when it will be available in the Central California area? Also I need to know what kind of costs I'm going to have in getting these new receivers, since I have had the same equipment for about 6 years or so.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,186 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

It's pretty widely available now, afaik. I put one in a few months ago, and as a long time customer, high pay, etc, I got one pretty cheaply. Call and find out!
Post back results, and you may or may not be advised to call again.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,688 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

The problem is the website says Genie is "coming soon".

This is the second such thread that has appeared since the Genie software started rolling out.

The HR34 has been available to the general public for upwards of 11 months and the software updates with the Genie features started rolling out some weeks ago.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

This is the second such thread that has appeared since the Genie software started rolling out.

The HR34 has been available to the general public for upwards of 11 months and the software updates with the Genie features started rolling out some weeks ago.

Ok. Thanks? If it were available to the general public maybe DTV's website is wrong then. Because when I go to order it it says "coming soon". I was hoping for someone that had a similar experience and had to get all their equipment/dishes replaced, and about how much it ran them.

#5 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

Ok. Thanks? If it were available to the general public maybe DTV's website is wrong then. Because when I go to order it it says "coming soon". I was hoping for someone that had a similar experience and had to get all their equipment/dishes replaced, and about how much it ran them.

Apparently they still want people to call and order it so that they make sure the customer gets everything they need as far as wiring, switches, etc.

As far as who paid what that varies greatly from $0 to full price.

See http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=201785
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,993 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

Looking on the DIRECTV web site today for my account, under the My Equipment section it now shows the Genie HD DVR and Genie clients as something you can order, but when you click on it you get a popup saying to call DIRECTV. Since I aleady have a Genie I might be getting that since they only allow one Genie on an account at the moment, maybe those that don't can order it online.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#7 OFFLINE   nike5580

nike5580

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, New Hampshire

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

Looking on the DIRECTV web site today for my account, under the My Equipment section it now shows the Genie HD DVR and Genie clients as something you can order, but when you click on it you get a popup saying to call DIRECTV. Since I aleady have a Genie I might be getting that since they only allow one Genie on an account at the moment, maybe those that don't can order it online.

I am seeing the same thing on my account. I do not have a Genie yet.

#8 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

Its to drive people to call so DTV can be sure you have the correct equipment
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#9 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,993 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

I thought the computer knew what customers have and determine what needs to be ordered.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#10 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,825 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

And also because they don't drop ship the Genie...a tech has to come and install it (although in my case, all he had to do was connect the prepared wires).

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#11 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

The billing system does...not the website...it only logs rcvrs
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#12 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

Ok, so put "please call" on the website instead of "coming soon".
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

Protected By... spam firewall...And...