Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

STARZ gone wild? (Resolved, channels back on air)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

Eastern arc weirdness...

Earlier all the Starz and Encore channels went black... now most of the SD channels are back (except for Encore West)...

But all the HD Starz + Encore channels are showing Disney's "Tangled", in 4:3, with no audio... which is weird, because I can't even find a channel in the EPG that should be showing Tangled right now.

Weird.

Am I alone?

edit: Now that I know I'm not alone... does this affect western and eastern arcs?

Edited by Stewart Vernon, 29 November 2012 - 03:12 PM.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,104 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

They definitely have a problem. All of the HD ones I have in my favorites are playing an SD ?? animated show.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

Update... now there is a "Sorry for the interruption" slate up on the HD channels... so I guess we now play the waiting game!

#4 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,104 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

Update... now there is a "Sorry for the interruption" slate up on the HD channels... so I guess we now play the waiting game!

I am on DirecTV and it is the same there.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

Thanks... I read your signature and the lightbulb went off in my head that it must be a Starz source issue rather than just Dish east/west... I need to go change the headline on the front page if this is a DirecTV issue as well.

#6 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

My father in law will not be happy without ENCORE WESTERNS :hurah:

JACK,

#7 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

Westerns is on (I don't do HD), but it's goofy.

Gunsmoke was on instead of Rawhide, and now there's a screen with "Next Feature Program starts in:" with a countdown timer instead of the usual promos between programs.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#8 OFFLINE   larry55

larry55

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

the schudle on the western channel is off.

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

I didn't pay enough attention to notice that the schedule was off on the channels that were on.

I had watched Mr Holland's Opus earlier on Encore Drama SD I think... and then was watching some DVR stuff... then I noticed all the outages of the Starz and Encore channels... so I wasn't sure exactly when it happened, just when I first noticed.

It was also weird when all the HD feeds were showing a movie that shouldn't have been on any of them... so sounds like all kinds of craziness at the Starz headquarters!

#10 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

I didn't pay enough attention to notice that the schedule was off on the channels that were on.

I had watched Mr Holland's Opus earlier on Encore Drama SD I think... and then was watching some DVR stuff... then I noticed all the outages of the Starz and Encore channels... so I wasn't sure exactly when it happened, just when I first noticed.

It was also weird when all the HD feeds were showing a movie that shouldn't have been on any of them... so sounds like all kinds of craziness at the Starz headquarters!

not that long ago show time / movie channel failed like this with just about all channels showing the same stuff at the same time.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#11 OFFLINE   mailiang

mailiang

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

The HD channels from Liberty Media are all screwed up! :eek2: don't panic, :lol: I'm certain they will fix it shortly.

Ian ;)
BOOMER MCLOUD XTREME CAR AUDIO :icon_bb:

#12 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

They lost their fiber feeds for SD and HD. They are now using satellite to deliver SD signal. Obviously everyone is aware of the issues and working to resolve over at Starz - Liberty
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#13 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

We're coming up on hour 4... so I don't know about "shortly"... I happened to be watching TV around the time everything went black...

This must be a major issue (obviously) to be down almost 4 hours now. I don't envy Dish, DirecTV CSRs taking calls as people get home from work... and I don't envy Starz fielding complaints either.

Good luck to everybody trying to right the ship on this one!

#14 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

The first step for Starz is to put something on their website, Facebook or Twitter page. It is inexcuseable for a company of this stature to not use social media to reach out to their customers when something goes this wrong.

#15 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

The picture quality on the SD feeds look loads better with the satellite method from the source now as opposed to the fiber. Even being in mpeg-2. :) or did D* temporarily decrease the compression used...

#16 OFFLINE   juniormaj

juniormaj

Legend

• Registered
  • 418 posts
  • LocationNewbury Park, CA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

Just for the record, and maybe it could go without saying, these channels are also broken on Time Warner here in Southern California.
(I have a TWC box in one room in addition to my DirecTV setup)
I only bring it up to broaden the scope of Starz' woes.

#17 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

Looks like FiOS also: http://www.dslreport...-hd-outage-VH08

#18 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

Looks like FiOS also: http://www.dslreport...-hd-outage-VH08

And U-Verse, from the same forum.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#19 OFFLINE   juniormaj

juniormaj

Legend

• Registered
  • 418 posts
  • LocationNewbury Park, CA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

Per a thread on their Facebook page:

"Starz Entertainment's premium channels experienced an unexpected service disruption during operational maintenance. Service has been restored to the company's 17 channels in most national systems, and we are working diligently to return to our regularly scheduled programming across the full suite of channels. We apologize for the inconvenience."

#20 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

Sorry I didn't mean to leave our U-Verse, cable, FIOS, and other members hanging... being "DBS"Talk, I tend to primarily think of Dish and DirecTV first... but it stands to reason that the kind of problem it looks like they had, would be one that would end up being a problem for every provider of Starz channels.

spam firewall