Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How much is it going to cost me

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   KC2LLW

KC2LLW

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

Ok I am going to upgrade my system to a SWIM 16 I will pay for this and do the work myself. I want to get a Genie and activate whole home which I can't now because I am not SWIM yet. What is the monthly fee for having whole home and the Genie? I currently have have 4 HD DVR's and two dvr's with HD and DVR service.
Thanks
Steve

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,986 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

Call DIRECTV and see what deal they can make you for the HR34, they'll usually also have $49 install charge which would include any additonal hardware like a SWiM16 upgrade. Why don't you want them to do the upgrade?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,869 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

I agree with RAD. The Genie wil cost you anyway so they will probably bundle in installation and you won't even pay for the SWM16. Best price on those on ebay is usually $75 plus. Whole Home whether you do it or they do it is $3/month.

From your ID, I do understand the desire to DIY but in this case, you will save alot of $.

#4 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

Just did it myself. $55 for SWM 16 on eBay + $349 for Genie from Solid Signal = $404 Total. No CSR roulette and no dealing with a technician and time off from work = peace of mind.

#5 OFFLINE   KC2LLW

KC2LLW

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

Yea that's my thinking, I hate waiting for people and I would rather do it myself and take pride in my work then have a stranger rush the job because he has 10 other installs to do that day. That's why I dumped cable back in the early 90's and went to direct tv installed my first round dish back when they only had a single LNB from Radio Shack. Then added the two LNB and then Multi switch. I then upgraded myself to a an oval slimline AU9-SL3 for HD and now want to install the SWIM 16. I will get my SWIM 16 on eBay and my receiver from solid signal. Thanks for the advice and imput this is a great fourm and I have learned a lot of great info from all of the good people on this site.
Thanks
Steve

spam firewall