Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

3 Units one dish?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wavemaster

wavemaster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

Hello all,

My friend has a 3 unit house and wants to get off Comcast and go to DirecTv. He wants to install the dish and get his own box, and then tell the renters to contact DirecTv to get their own box.

He does not want 3 dish's and wanted to know if it could be done with one. Also, would an installer hooking up another unit in the future have any issue with it?

The other units are small and I would not see him ever going over 16 tuners.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

It can be done using SWiM technology with no issues. Just have the installer who does the initial install setup the other units with coax for future receivers. Your friend who owns the units will be the person whose name is on the bill, just have the renters pay for any fees associated with acquiring the new units and the monthly cost for them.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#3 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

Hello all,

My friend has a 3 unit house and wants to get off Comcast and go to DirecTv. He wants to install the dish and get his own box, and then tell the renters to contact DirecTv to get their own box.

He does not want 3 dish's and wanted to know if it could be done with one. Also, would an installer hooking up another unit in the future have any issue with it?

It can be done with a SWiM-16, and adding a BSF to each unit will keep them from sharing recordings with MRV.

It can be done using SWiM techonlogy. AFAIK only one persons name will be on the bill and the renters can pay your friend for the extra receiver fee.

That would be a breach of the TOS.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   wavemaster

wavemaster

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

A BSF?

#5 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

A BSF?

A Band Stop Filter to block the DECA signal.

http://www.solidsign...filter-(bsfr01)
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

It can be done. The only problem is when it's not an MDU. A tech is required to not share dishes between normal residential accounts. It's hard to say if he would get a tech each time who would enforce that rule.

The current offer for new customers is a Genie install consisting of an HR34 and C31s. 3 HR34s, although they would only require 15 tuners, would require equipment capable of supporting 24.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#7 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

Are the units physically different addresses .. Unit ABC?

#8 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

It can be done. The only problem is when it's not an MDU. A tech is required to not share dishes between normal residential accounts. It's hard to say if he would get a tech each time who would enforce that rule.

The current offer for new customers is a Genie install consisting of an HR34 and C31s. 3 HR34s, although they would only require 15 tuners, would require equipment capable of supporting 24.

There are other issues here .. A tech adding a swm 16 OLI to a WO that doesn't need it is a disaster waiting to happen for the tech

No tech in their right mind would do that install ..

#9 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

There are other issues here .. A tech adding a swm 16 OLI to a WO that doesn't need it is a disaster waiting to happen for the tech

No tech in their right mind would do that install ..

they add swm 16's all the time here to apartment complexes, sometimes the complex wont allow more than one dish, and they are NOT mdu

I was just at a major complex today, swm 16's all over the place. Each building has one directv and one dish network dish. About 3 months ago at same place i installed a swm 16 inside the cable box (which was the buildings box), later an ONO guy took it back out and mounted it to the siding outside?? WTH did he do that for?
Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

#10 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

they add swm 16's all the time here to apartment complexes, sometimes the complex wont allow more than one dish, and they are NOT mdu

I was just at a major complex today, swm 16's all over the place. Each building has one directv and one dish network dish. About 3 months ago at same place i installed a swm 16 inside the cable box (which was the buildings box), later an ONO guy took it back out and mounted it to the siding outside?? WTH did he do that for?

I wonder which account gets the tech delivered lnb lol .. Hopefully they didn't all get tech delivered lnbs haha !!!

#11 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

My qc guys **** bricks when we put switches in cable boxes

#12 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:52 PM

My qc guys **** bricks when we put switches in cable boxes

HE does? really? Why would he have a problem with it being inside a box where which is designed for switches and splitters?? Again this is the buildings lock box, not a cable companies box....
Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

Protected By... spam firewall...And...