Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Long run swim choice

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   drh

drh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

I have a two dvr legacy system now. Dish is slimline 3lnb, I guess. It is in the only location that will receive all sat. signals, ~200' from house. The two new receivers will be hr34 and hr24, maybe hr21 if the installer doesn't have the hr24. Run from outside of house to hr34 will be ~60', run to hr24 ~25'.
Two Dual Flooded rg6 with ground cable now running from dish to house.

Dtv has been out 4 times and said they can't do install, swm length too long. Signal strength on dtivo showing 89/90, on my hr200 showing most in low 90's some in mid to high 80's, with a couple lower. Never get dropped signal, even in rain now. I picked up two ct-sla amps from weeknees and dtv sent me a am21 atsc tuner for my off air channels.

Question is, swim8 or swim lnb, which will work with this install. I seem to need to Lead the installers in the right direction, they didn't even know there were amps available.

Any suggestions are welcome. Installer due any time today. Wondering just what to make sure he has/should do.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Question is, swim8 or swim lnb, which will work with this install. I seem to need to Lead the installers in the right direction, they didn't even know there were amps available.

The SWM8 may be the better choice, but as I understand it, DIRECTV typically doesn't install them.

The limitations (and physics in general) aren't on your side.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,859 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

Check out this thread. This person ran 300 feet.

http://www.dbstalk.c...8&highlight=300

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 482 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

I hope your RG6 is solid copper, not the usual cheap steel-core.

Also use the PI-29 power inserter (if you change to a SWM LNB) instead of the PI-21. That way more voltage gets to the LNB.

Keith

#5 OFFLINE   drh

drh

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

The SWM8 may be the better choice, but as I understand it, DIRECTV typically doesn't install them.

The limitations (and physics in general) aren't on your side.

If using the swm8, should it be mounted at the dish or at the house?

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,373 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

is the dual RG6 solid copper core? or the cheaper copper clad steel?

#7 OFFLINE   drh

drh

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

I hope your RG6 is solid copper, not the usual cheap steel-core.

Also use the PI-29 power inserter (if you change to a SWM LNB) instead of the PI-21. That way more voltage gets to the LNB.

Keith

Used pi-29, didn't need amps. Only problem is whole house not talking to each other. Hr34 and hr23. Tried Hr23 with deca and without, no talkie yet.....

Tech still working on problem. Any ideas?

#8 OFFLINE   drh

drh

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

Used pi-29, didn't need amps. Only problem is whole house not talking to each other. Hr34 and hr23. Tried Hr23 with deca and without, no talkie yet.....

Tech still working on problem. Any ideas?

Replaced bad deca, all seems fine now.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...