Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Genie performance vs. older receivers

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

Just curious about The Genie and channel change response times. I have the first HD receiver I ever got, an HR20-100 from 2007 as my main receiver. It is still the fastest one I have. :lol:

I have an HR22 in the bedroom, which operates at glacial speeds.

If I call Directv and lean on them for a newer Genie, will I be able to change channels without having to take a nap in between changes?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,613 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

This is for the HRXX receivers.

Several things might help.
1. Go to channel 1 and let it sit there for 1 minute
2. Menu, Settings, Display, Preferences, Scrolling Effects : OFF
3. Menu, Settings, Display, Video, Native : OFF : In resolutions choose only 720p if that is what your TV is or 1080i.
4. Make sure to press the Exit button when you are on a sports channel that has the interactive scoreguide if you do not use it. if you do use it, press the Exit button before leaving the channel. This turns that program off. It will come back when you go to the sports channel again.
5. Menu, Settings, Reset, Restart Receiver
6. If you have not done so make a Favorites list and eliminate tons of unneeded data that loads each time you press the Guide button. This will also get rid of some of those banner ads.

There is a new version of software that is rolling out now that is being reported that 8 second channel changes are now 3 seconds. I do not have it yet.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

3. Menu, Settings, Display, Video, Native : OFF : In resolutions choose only 720p if that is what your TV is or 1080i.
4. Make sure to press the Exit button when you are on a sports channel that has the interactive scoreguide if you do not use it. if you do use it, press the Exit button before leaving the channel. This turns that program off. It will come back when you go to the sports channel again.
6. If you have not done so make a Favorites list and eliminate tons of unneeded data that loads each time you press the Guide button. This will also get rid of some of those banner ads.

There is a new version of software that is rolling out now that is being reported that 8 second channel changes are now 3 seconds. I do not have it yet.

I think I have jumped through all those hoops you have mentioned, but I want the 8 second to 3 second change. Anybody know the version number?

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,613 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=210833

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,733 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

What I find it funny is that whenever the DVR starts recording anything it would lag for a while with guide,menu,channel changes etc, or not messing with the DVR for a while also lags especially with guide list and playlist but my trick for better response would be quickly flip the channels pressing the channel button really fast, while also pressing the guide button and scroll really fast because apparently DVR is in sleep mode and has a hard time waking up

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#6 OFFLINE   tomski35

tomski35

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

Why should anyone have to go through all that **** to get a box that they've paid $200 to plus a monthly fee to rent so it will work?! I don't get this. And then I hear rumors of software that will get Chanel changes down to a lightning fast 3 seconds but of course I don't have it. This is crazy.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,109 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

I've had to reboot a $15k computer to get it functional again. It's software. To develop bug free complex software is extremely expensive and never done for this type of application.

It doesn't necessarily affect everyone the same way. Myself, I almost never change channels so would never know if it was slow.

Edited by dpeters11, 01 December 2012 - 09:11 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   tomski35

tomski35

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

If they focused on performance, they could fix this. A DVR doesn't need Pandora, apps, score guide,etc. it's all bull**** that gets on the way of the actual functionality. You shouldn't need to delete the majority of your recordings to improve performance.

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,109 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

Pandora, apps etc don't use resources if you don't use them.

#10 OFFLINE   tomski35

tomski35

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

The previous comment was about software development. My comment was directed at that. Their coders as focused on fluff instead of performance.

#11 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

the hr34 is.....well.....slow....

I got so used to HR24 amd H25 setups, now that they are all genie and clients, man its like using a HR23, the slowest worst dvr ever made!

This is really annoying showing customers how slow the hr34 is, then the clients are even worse.

I do NOT recommend clients to anyone unless you for sure need the pause live tv function. I personally would do without live pause, and use H25's that are the quickest receiver out there.

Then the clients they added the VERY WAY TOO annoyingly loud BONG BONG that blows the tv speakers( the client bong is way more annoying and 10 times louder than the normal directv BONG) if you get ahead of the super slow client. Must have been a speaker company that added that feature, blow all the tv speakers so they need new ones, I cant imagine this sound over a 100w per channel surround sound. Really? are you kidding me? Please turn that feature off!!!! or at least default to annoying sounds to OFF please.

Anyhow the hr34 does not page down in the guide, it kinda skips, freezes, or skips the animation all together, the other receivers show nice flowing skip up or down.

Its been two months and i still and not used to the slowness of the genie client, constantly BONG BONG waiting for client to catch up. Some times they almost lock up and you get BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG super awesome during and install!
Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

#12 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

My HR34 is almost as fast as my HR24. And double-play is an order of magnitude faster with the HR34. I love it and would never go back.
Panasonic 58PX60U
DirectTV HR34-700, HR24-500, H23-600

No OTA only Sat
AU9(Slimline) SL3 SWM Dish

All 3 receivers connected via DECA and bridged to 8-port Rosewill RC-410X Gigabit Switch.

#13 OFFLINE   lincolnnellie

lincolnnellie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

My HR34 is pretty darn quick. I am happy so far.

#14 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

I've had to reboot a $15k computer to get it functional again. It's software. To develop bug free complex software is extremely expensive and never done for this type of application.

Yeah but you dont have to do it weekly like you have to with the HR's.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,109 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

I don't have to with my DVR either.

#16 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

but the OP was asking about "vs. older receivers"

Ever since the HDGUI the HR20, HR21 and HR23 are dogs. Rebooting once a week seems to help but before long they have bogged down again and need a reboot and a NVRAM clear, etc
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#17 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

the hr34 is.....well.....slow....

I got so used to HR24 amd H25 setups, now that they are all genie and clients, man its like using a HR23, the slowest worst dvr ever made!

This is really annoying showing customers how slow the hr34 is, then the clients are even worse.

I do NOT recommend clients to anyone unless you for sure need the pause live tv function. I personally would do without live pause, and use H25's that are the quickest receiver out there.

Then the clients they added the VERY WAY TOO annoyingly loud BONG BONG that blows the tv speakers( the client bong is way more annoying and 10 times louder than the normal directv BONG) if you get ahead of the super slow client. Must have been a speaker company that added that feature, blow all the tv speakers so they need new ones, I cant imagine this sound over a 100w per channel surround sound. Really? are you kidding me? Please turn that feature off!!!! or at least default to annoying sounds to OFF please.

Anyhow the hr34 does not page down in the guide, it kinda skips, freezes, or skips the animation all together, the other receivers show nice flowing skip up or down.

Its been two months and i still and not used to the slowness of the genie client, constantly BONG BONG waiting for client to catch up. Some times they almost lock up and you get BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG super awesome during and install!

While its not lightning, its sure faster than an HR21 - 23. Why is it you always have some many issues with hardware?

And you can change the sound level for the bongs, and mine is no different on the HR34 than any other receivers.

#18 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

the clients they added the VERY WAY TOO annoyingly loud BONG BONG that blows the tv speakers( the client bong is way more annoying and 10 times louder than the normal directv BONG) if you get ahead of the super slow client. Must have been a speaker company that added that feature, blow all the tv speakers so they need new ones, I cant imagine this sound over a 100w per channel surround sound. Really? are you kidding me? Please turn that feature off!!!! or at least default to annoying sounds to OFF please.

My C31 units did that for a couple days when I first got them. Then they figured out how to make a proper gentle sound effect.

Completely absurd that they could do this in the first place.

Who designs this stuff? It all seems rushed to market with piss poor quality quality control. The Genie system barely feels like it's out of beta.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#19 OFFLINE   Podkayne

Podkayne

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

Just upgraded from HR20-100 to Genie, with the former now semi-retired while we just watch what we had previously recorded. An H25 does great duty as a "client" on a bedroom TV. The HR20-100 was "double pig-dog slow", and is now just "slow", which after the HDGUI download is the best it ever could get. The Genie, by comparison, has been a joy. Most all functions are smoother and annoying delays much less frequent.

#20 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

I just upgraded to an HR34 having previously had three HR24 DVRs, and I find the response time to be about the same. Channel changes happen in two to three seconds, and the FF and 30 second skip functions are actually faster with the HR34 because I'm not driving a recording made on a DVR in another room, which used to produce a second or two of lag before anything happened. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...