Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 freezes during playback, DTV says "system slowness"

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BSMEMIT1976

BSMEMIT1976

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

My HR20-100 has been fine for years, it even seems like the video and audio hardly ever get too far out of synch anymore.

A couple weeks ago I started experiencing freezes during playback, not live viewing. Not the kind I am used to when the thunderstorm is 7 minutes west of me. The audio and video stop, then resume after a few seconds. If I hit any button on the remote the blue power light flashes once as it always does. But nothing happens. If I hit a remote button again the blue light does not flash. When the DVR unfreezes it does whatever remote command it got with that first click. It usually resumes right where it left off, but I have seen it skip ahead two minutes.

I have done several red button reboots.

I called and the tech said it is a know problem with "system slowness" and that engineering is working on it and someday a patch will be downloaded.

They had me turn off "scrolling effects" but that had zero impact. There was another setting we checked, but it was already set as expected.

Here are some specific cases:
1) Recently recorded episode of Big Bang Theory stopped 16 min into the show, then another short freeze 19 mins in and a long freeze 21 minutes in.
2) An older recording of $10 Dinners played all the way through with no problems. So did an older recording of Burn Notice and Iron Chef.
3) I get up in the AM and rewind CBS to catch the local and national news and weather and skip the commercials and other uninteresting bits, at 7:30 on morning I backed up to 5:30 and started watching and skipping, at 6:15 of the time on the recording I got a freeze, from then until 8:49 I got 23 freezes and three of those resulted in missing 2 minutes of programming.
4) I watched an 11/28 recording of ESPN NFL live on 11/29, I got 8 freezes in the first 15 minutes, then none for 8 minutes before I had to do something productive.

I think this is pretty horrible performance. If it was system wide affecting all receivers or just HR20s there would be more hits in this forum or on Google. I suspect that I have a bad disk and not a software problem that is common to other users.

Any suggestions? I am calling tech support again to see if I get the same story and I am going to ask for some relief on my bill since I am not getting the service as promised.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,477 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

Sounds like the hard drive is dying.
Press the Info button and hold it down for several seconds.
The system info will come to the screen.
On the lower right it says Run System Test.

Do that and see what errors it gets.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   BSMEMIT1976

BSMEMIT1976

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

Turns out that the previous tech support person didn't really understand my description of the symptoms.

I just got off the phone with Charlene from Mississippi and she came to the conclusion I did - bad disk. A new (or refurbished) DVR is on the way - I'm hoping for a newer model with more disk, she said they don't really do HR20s anymore. And they don't want the old one back, so if my wife lets me we can keep it to watch some old stuff we have on "keep until I delete".

For diagnosis she initiated a test at her end, but I think I could have done the same test.

Yes I could:
- Menu
- Settings & Help
- Info & Test
- Run System Test
In a couple minutes it came back with error code 21-451 "Internal Storage Error"

#4 OFFLINE   BSMEMIT1976

BSMEMIT1976

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

Thanks Jimmie!!!

#5 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,390 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

The HR20 is a better DVR then the replacement they are sending you, unless you get an HR24, which is doubtful. I would put a new drive in the HR20(its yours now) and put it back in service, take the replacement and return it. I just last week installed the second replacement 1.5 TB drive in my HR20, its been a great unit and we rely on it OTA capability frequently.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#6 OFFLINE   BSMEMIT1976

BSMEMIT1976

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

I also have an HR22 and have no complaints about that one. Maybe I'm not critical enough.

But just in case what disk did you put in your HR20? Is there a list on the forum of disks that people have had good luck with? I've seen the threads on external eSATA drives, but I've had other geek priorities and have not gone that way. I may still someday.

I'm having a flashback to the day I added a second disk to my TiVo long ago. Had a couple hiccups with that but once I got over the speed bumps it was smooth until I made the upgrade to HDDVR.

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,477 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

Thanks Jimmie!!!

You are welcome.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

I also have an HR22 and have no complaints about that one. Maybe I'm not critical enough.

But just in case what disk did you put in your HR20? Is there a list on the forum of disks that people have had good luck with? I've seen the threads on external eSATA drives, but I've had other geek priorities and have not gone that way. I may still someday.

I'm having a flashback to the day I added a second disk to my TiVo long ago. Had a couple hiccups with that but once I got over the speed bumps it was smooth until I made the upgrade to HDDVR.

Any Green Caviar WD HDD will work as will the new Red Caviar HDDs. Use them with a Thermaltake docking station and you've got a nice setup.

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   BSMEMIT1976

BSMEMIT1976

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

Any Green Caviar WD HDD will work as will the new Red Caviar HDDs. Use them with a Thermaltake docking station and you've got a nice setup.

Rich

Thanks, Rich.

Are you talking external drive set-up or internal? Will the same drives work in either scenario?

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,208 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

One more thing:

After seeing what you get, and taking some time, you can de-activate the HR20, and still watch what's recorded if you disconnect sat. feed prior to de-activating. At least I've read this often enough to believe it's true. I have a now-owned HR20, but it's in mothballs for a rainy day.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#11 OFFLINE   BSMEMIT1976

BSMEMIT1976

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

I'd be careful about the rainy day back up.

I've been getting into a bunch of digital photography podcasts and I can't recall which podcast I heard it on but there is a professional video production company that keeps archives of hard drives with past projects on them, every month they take every drive off the shelf, spin it up, and put it back. They claim that motionless disks turn bad over time. Plus if they spin them and one is bad they can make a copy of it's sister and be back to having two copies on the shelf (actually two different shelves in two different buildings).

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,208 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

Thanks, but there's nothing on it that I need to see. It's "rainy day" in case I ever need OTA recording, or for some other unknown reason. I'd possibly plunk a new HD in it, though the existing one still has a bit of life.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

Thanks, Rich.

Are you talking external drive set-up or internal? Will the same drives work in either scenario?

Yup, and the HR will work better with the larger HDD installed internally, at least in my experience.

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

I'd be careful about the rainy day back up.

I've been getting into a bunch of digital photography podcasts and I can't recall which podcast I heard it on but there is a professional video production company that keeps archives of hard drives with past projects on them, every month they take every drive off the shelf, spin it up, and put it back. They claim that motionless disks turn bad over time. Plus if they spin them and one is bad they can make a copy of it's sister and be back to having two copies on the shelf (actually two different shelves in two different buildings).

Good point. I've never tried to activate any of my receivers after they've been unplugged for a while. I did buy 6 HR20-700s a couple of years ago and they were all from MDU people who were the only owners. A couple of them said the HRs had just been sitting around (the apartment complexes they lived in switched to cable) for a while, but I had no problems with them. I've got a couple of them on a shelf downstairs and I'll turn them on one of these days and see if they still work.

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   BSMEMIT1976

BSMEMIT1976

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

My old HR20 is getting worse and worse.

A few times Sunday while watching the NFL it would reboot on its own. Did a couple more on Monday.

Just waiting for whatever replacement DirecTV decides to reward me with...

#16 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

My old HR20 is getting worse and worse.

A few times Sunday while watching the NFL it would reboot on its own. Did a couple more on Monday.

Just waiting for whatever replacement DirecTV decides to reward me with...

Hr20 are do not recover now for what it's worth lol

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

Thanks, Rich.

Either.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...