Welcome to DBSTalk
Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
- Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
- Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
- Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
- Customize your profile page and make new friends
Atsc am21 with whole home instillation
Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:02 PM
1. Did I not set up something properly or is that the system limitations, not passing off air channels to hr23 normal? Dtv tech is clueless.
2. Can I send output of am21 to ant. Input on swm8 and distribute it that way?
I see that one way is to input ota antenna directly into ant. Input on swm8 then split it out before hr34 and hr23 input but there is only 1 coax input on receivers so do I then need two am21's, one for each reciever? Or is there a simpler option? The ota signal from at21 to hr34 is via USB so if I send it to the swm8 I will need to convert the USB to coax, is that possible in this case?
Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:08 PM
You'll need another AM21 for your HR23.
Only the Genie client [C31] will see the AM21 on the HR34.
Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:32 AM
Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:35 AM
But no, the ATSC tuners themselves are not shared. They function only on the device to which they are connected.
I personally have three AM21s. I did that when I went to SWM. Anywhere I had two cables to a DVR I only needed one with SWM so I converted the second one to an OTA run from a Channel Master distribution amplifier to three of my four HDDVRs. My fourth HDDVR is an HR20 with built in ATSC tuners which also already had a dedicated OTA line so only three AM21s were needed.
The AM21 is relatively cheap at $50 and it is owned equipment that doesn't extend your contract.