Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 and H25 or C31?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOn the road in North America...

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

We currently have two HR21s, both almost 5 years old. Only two TVs, so one on each, with MRV enabled so we can watch anything at either TV. Current setup is a SWM-8 with ethernet to each receiver connected to my home network.

I'm getting ready to upgrade to an HR34, and I'm not sure if I should go with an H25 or a C31 at the second location. The up-front cost difference is minimal. Is the monthly charge the same? What would be the advantages or disadvantages of each?

There will be an AM21 attached to the HR34.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

What's wrong with what you have? Do you need the extra tuner?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

What's wrong with what you have? Do you need the extra tuner?

Yes, I want the extra tuner. And I want to be able to set up recordings on one DVR without having to worry about which one it needs to go on without conflicts. And the HR21s are getting quite old and slow. Do you have any input on the H25 vs C31 choice?

Hmm. Should this have been in the DirecTV Connected Home forum?

#4 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

I personally would keep the second hddvr you have and just replace one with the hr34 that way you add three tuners rather than one. It will not cost you more monthly for that a the fees are one time charges not per unit.

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#5 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:59 AM

I personally would keep the second hddvr you have and just replace one with the hr34 that way you add three tuners rather than one. It will not cost you more monthly for that a the fees are one time charges not per unit.

That doesn't really work either, since I need to move the second unit (whichever I get) to a spot that's too small for an HR21. Both the C31 and H25 are much smaller than the HR21. Is the HR24 smaller too?

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

The HR24 is smaller than an HR21, but is certainly larger than an H25. I think the first look documents have dimensions.

#7 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,183 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

If you want speed, go with the H25 for the second location, but it doesn't do Ethernet so you'd need to go DECA.

If you want the 2nd location to be an extension of the first, with the ability to pause "live" TV, then go with the C31. It will also only be DECA.

Personally, I'm an HR34/H25 fan, but both are fine.

Also the C31 uses one of the HR34 tuners.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#8 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

That doesn't really work either, since I need to move the second unit (whichever I get) to a spot that's too small for an HR21. Both the C31 and H25 are much smaller than the HR21. Is the HR24 smaller too?

If size is a consern the C31 is the way togo, it's the smallest unit in terms of over all size. The H25 is also very small but still larger than the C31 as the H25 has it's own tuner while the C31 dosn't.
H25/C31 pro/con
H25 Pro's
Own tuner so dosn't use a avabile tuner maxiumizing recording ability
has SD out puts for troublshooting video issues.
Can access the Playlist with Whole home service
3D support
Con's
No inate DVR abilitys.
Is the larger of the two units
requires speical RF remote kit if you want to go that way.

C31
Pro's
Is basicly an extention of the HR34 so works just like being at the DVR unit just a bit slower
Is the smaller of the units.
Built in RF compatability

Con's
requires use of one of the HR34's tuners to operate
No SD outputs for troubleshooting needs.

As for the HR24 it's size is smaller than the HR21 but not a ton it's specs are
HR24 / HR21
Width 15" / 19.95"
Height 2.2" / 2.75"
Depth 9.6" / 15.75"
Weight 12 lbs. / 15.75 lbs

I'm NOT saying one unit or the other is better just expessing my personal opinion. on the pro con lists

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#9 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

Thanks, otaliema, that's exactly what I needed. The cabinet is about 1" to shallow for the HR21 to fit in with the door closed. So any of the C31/H25/HR24 units will fit in there. I'll have to think about it a little more, but I'm leaning towards the H25 unless I decide I want more tuners, in which case it'll be the HR24.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...