Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Searching for Signal" on only 2 channels, on only 1 box

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

My HR20 in the family room is suddenly showing "searching for signal" on two channels: SyFy and TNT. These are the only two channels with this problem, and it's only on the family room HR20. I have another HR20 in the bedroom and it picks up those two channels fine and dandy.

I've checked all cable connections (they're all fine) and done a red button reset. No luck. Still can't get those two channels in the family room.

Anyone have some insight into what's going on here? Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

By the way, this problem apparently started at 8:06PM Central Time, because the cheesy monster movie that started recording from SyFy at 8PM is showing in the list as a 6 minute partial recording.

#3 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

First thing is to do a menu restart. Are we sure that your HR20 is not a movie critic? (never mind...)

The restart will sort out issues where the box gets confused as to what port to send the switch commands back from, and possible other issues.

If it does not fix it, it can be the box, the cabling, any switch in the line, including the one in the LNBF. All are involved with the ability of the system to switch to the proper incoming port and polarity. Check signal levels, as that can also be part of this.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,560 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:08 AM

Try swapping the two DVRs. Does the problem stay with the "bad" DVR, or in its room?
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

Update...

After just letting it sit overnight, the DVR now gets those two channels fine again.

Insert Twilight Zone music here.

Thanks Tomcat and litzdog for the replies!

#6 OFFLINE   SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy

EOE

• DBSTalk Club
  • 512 posts
  • LocationNear San Francisco

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

One of my HR20-700 showed 771 the other morning.... a restart didn't fix it.... I did a repeat of "dish setup": that fixed it! It had "forgotten" its dish setup. Aren't these machines wonderfully inventive?
HS
D* user since 11/94

#7 OFFLINE   Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:57 AM

Another update...

Suddenly the DVR has nothing in the play list... it's BLANK, even though it shows only 2% free.

RBR currently underway, but thinking maybe it's time to retire this unit and get another one?

#8 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

Another update...

Suddenly the DVR has nothing in the play list... it's BLANK, even though it shows only 2% free.

RBR currently underway, but thinking maybe it's time to retire this unit and get another one?

2% Free is not enough free space for it to work properly.
I think you should find some programs / movies that are questionable to keep and delete them to free up some space. I have read that some posters say you need 30% or more for their unit to work properly.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#9 OFFLINE   Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

2% Free is not enough free space for it to work properly.
I think you should find some programs / movies that are questionable to keep and delete them to free up some space. I have read that some posters say you need 30% or more for their unit to work properly.

Hmmm, never had these problems before, even though I've had 1% and sometimes 0% free. But just in case (and if the play list comes back after the RBR is done), I'll delete some of the older stuff.

Thanks!

#10 OFFLINE   Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm the OP and I'm suddenly having similar issues again.

On my main HR20 in the family room, SyFy, TNT, and AMC all come up 771 searching for satellite... EXCEPT when I activate the "doubleplay" feature. Then those channels suddenly come in fine.

I come back the next morning after Doubleplay has stopped, no signal on those channels again.

Suggestions on what's up with this? Thanks!

#11 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 806 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm the OP and I'm suddenly having similar issues again.

On my main HR20 in the family room, SyFy, TNT, and AMC all come up 771 searching for satellite... EXCEPT when I activate the "doubleplay" feature. Then those channels suddenly come in fine.

I come back the next morning after Doubleplay has stopped, no signal on those channels again.

Suggestions on what's up with this? Thanks!

It's something on Transponder 10 on 103A.
If you go to your Settings->Sat & Antenna->View Signal Strength->Signal Meters what is the signal strength on Transponder 10 on 103ca on Tuners 1 + 2? (probably 0 on #2)
If you swap the cables does the problem flip to the other tuner?
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#12 OFFLINE   CATCRAW

CATCRAW

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

I had a similar issue recently. At first it was intermittent but then got to the point when the channels would not come on at all, 2 channels on 1 receiver only. DTV had me change the BBC's and then sent out a tech. Issue was bad cable from the dish to the dmarc. So instead of rewiring the 4 cables from the dish, he upgraded the dish to the newer single cable configuration. Problem resolved.

#13 ONLINE   gilviv

gilviv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 358 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

I had the "771 searching for satellite on 2" message last night on all my DVRs affecting the HD feed of about 4 or 5 channels(Fox News, CNN, History.....) it lasted for about 20minutes or so. The weather was OK and like I said only affecting those channels mentioned. I noticed the message around 11:45PM and RESET the 1st DVR to find that the message was still there upon it finishing, then on its own about 12:10 AM EST all those channels were available again. Was *D doing something (to those channels)or what?:confused:

DirecTV since July 2006, WholeHome & HDDVR Service
Slimline5 SWM-LNB Dish to:
3x HR24/100s #1 w/AM21N via HDMI to LG 42LH90/240hz Full LED, #2 w/AM21N & #3 both via HDMI to 2-LG 32LK330/60hz LCDs
1x HR23/700 via HDMI> Sharp 26" LCD

spam firewall