Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Adding a DECA to integrate XBOX

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   keelay

keelay

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

Ive searched high and low for some more details regarding this application.

I am trying to use a DECA setup to get a wired connection for the XBOX in the living room. I currently have an HR24 in the living room as well as a wireless CCK in the office next to the broadband router. My plan is to purchase a SWM 2-way splitter
and DECA II (some DECAs seem to have power cables the othesr do not.. still not sure which is best for what I need) Questions I have before making any rash decisions:

1. Can I use the ethernet port on my wireless CCK to hardwire it directly to my router?

2. What device do I connect to the power pass side of the 2-way splitter? HR24 or XBOX? This is where I really need guidance..

3. Would I need the power adapter for the DECA to work? I also have another SWM (2 ports) in the bedroom connected to my H25, when i followed the cable it seems to feed the wCCK that sits in my office as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions would help and be much appreciated!! I can also attach pictures if needed.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,385 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

If you have wireless, I'd get an xBox bridge or a Linksys WGA-600N or WET-610N (both are bridges) and keep the xBox off of the DECA network.

You will need a PI for the DECA so the hardware costs would be roughly the same.

You could even use another WCCK (~$30 from D) with the coax inline (no splitter required) or just use it wirelessly.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 OFFLINE   keelay

keelay

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

thanks for the response. the goal here is to eliminate wireless. thats why id like to hardwire the wCCK and the xbox. I think that would actually improve the perfomance of my mrv setup and xbox. Also, I almost never ever use the HR24 and H25 at the same time, so trading off some of the bandwith isnt going to kill me... I just want it all working in harmony. Is there any reason why I SHOULDNT do this?

#4 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,385 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

Other than a Directv installer may walk away because 'it's unsupported' but you could remove it before he gets there. . .

#5 OFFLINE   keelay

keelay

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

any thoughts on connecting the hr25 and deca to the new swm? which do i connect to the power pass side?

#6 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,385 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:36 AM

There is no HR25 so I assume you mean H25 receiver. The power passing port isn't relevant unless you're installing a Power Inserter (PI) or putting the splitter in a powered coax to the SWiM at the dish. In that case, keep the Power Passing port in that coax branch.

Just hook the H25 to an unused port. Be sure any unused port is terminated.

#7 OFFLINE   keelay

keelay

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for your input! I did mean to write hr24, but i understand your post. I've ordered the components and will update the thread once everything is installed- with pictures!

#8 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,385 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

Good Luck! And I forgot, Welcome to DBSTalk!

#9 OFFLINE   keelay

keelay

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

quick update:

while waiting for the new DECA and splitter i decided to get to work on hard-wiring the wireless CCK i have. Very simple to do:
1. unplugged power from wCCK.
2. Connected ethernet from the wCCK to open port on my router.
3. reconnected power to wCCK.
4. Opened up web setup page for wCCK (you might want to find out the IP address for this through your router setup page. Once on the wCCK setup page it may ask for login info, i just tried admin:admin and it let me in, not sure if the login info is even needed as it worked on the first attempt). Went to the 'wireless' tab and clicked disable wireless button.
5. Reboot all DTV receivers and ran the test connection utility under the network page on my HR24.

So far so good, the WLAN and COAX network lights are no longer illuminated. I can connect to DTV cinema and download on demand content, and then I tested the movie i download over MRV from my H25. It all is working together and the on demand menus seem to be loading quicker than before too.

Forgive me if any of this is unclear. This is my first foray into my DTV settings and equipment! If any of this is unclear I can elaborate more.

other concerns: at first I did all steps listed with the exception of disabling the wirless and rerunning the network setup on the HR24, and i couldnt access the playlist from my H25. I didnt even know the wCCK had a web portal page as all instructions direct you to configure it using the receivers.

also, Im curious to see if the new deca will be able to connect to the internet seeing as though the coax light is no longer lit up on the wCCK. The HR24 has no problems getting an internet connection, so i think the wcck may auto disable to coax light if ethernet is connected for any reason. not affecting my performance thus far.

Edited by keelay, 03 December 2012 - 11:58 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

I can't answer the wCCK part (my cck isn't wireless) but I installed a 2nd DECA in my family room --->connected to 8 port switch ---> xbox 360, blu-ray, apple tv 2 and also apple airport express (for wi-fi network). Works like a charm. No problems with streaming, internet speeds, etc. I have a 20mb cable connection.
HR34-700 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-46EX501
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-32EX401
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Samsung LN19A450C1D (only 1 tuner active)

DIRECTV customer since Feb 2002
HD, WHDVR and ICK since Aug 2010
P.I.T.A. since birth :)

#11 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,385 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

The WCCK is a very versatile box. Since you've disabled the wireless, you are using the ethernet port and the WCCK to connect your DECA cloud (coax) to the internet through your router.

However, you don't mention connecting the coax to anything. It should be connected to a run from a splitter, or you can use the pass through and connect a coax to it and the pass-thru to a H/ HR. Somewhere, it needs a coax connection to your SWiM.

#12 OFFLINE   keelay

keelay

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

the wcck is connected to the swm, #3 in my first post.

#13 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Registered
  • 480 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

I have a coax going directly to a CCK at my router. I also have a 1x2 green splitter at our HR24 in the family room, with one coax going directly to the HR24 and the other coax going to another CCK and then into a 5 port switch running our Blu-Ray, XBOX, Wii and internet TV.

Swim #1--->CCK--->Router
Swim #2--->Splitter------->HR24
Swim #2--->Splitter------->CCK---->switch---->XBOX, Wii, etc.
  • Swim LNB
  • HR21-200 Bonus Room
  • HR24-200 Family Room
  • H24-100 Bedroom
  • MRV enabled

#14 OFFLINE   coho

coho

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

Hi all,

Can the DECA Connected Home Adapter be used independently of the DirecTV receiver to bring internet to an XBox? Cabling comes in from the LNB to the adapter and then into the receiver, with Ethernet as an option out of the adapter. I want to know if I can leave the receiver out of the mix?

Also, if I were to disconnect my DTV service, would this setup still work if I left the LNB connection cable into the adapter and the Ethernet cable to the XBox?

I don't have a direct Ethernet connection in the room now. A Powerline adapter I set up sometimes chokes on the HD data flow and wireless doesn't work well that far from the router.

Thanks for any advice. I am trying to use what is already there to avoid having to string a CAT5 cable all the way up to my master bedroom.

#15 OFFLINE   keelay

keelay

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

You don't need a receiver there, you will need to have a cinema connection kit somewhere else pumping internet into your coax. I can't answer whether or not the setup will work without dtv service..

#16 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

Hi all,

Can the DECA Connected Home Adapter be used independently of the DirecTV receiver to bring internet to an XBox? Cabling comes in from the LNB to the adapter and then into the receiver, with Ethernet as an option out of the adapter. I want to know if I can leave the receiver out of the mix?

Also, if I were to disconnect my DTV service, would this setup still work if I left the LNB connection cable into the adapter and the Ethernet cable to the XBox?

I don't have a direct Ethernet connection in the room now. A Powerline adapter I set up sometimes chokes on the HD data flow and wireless doesn't work well that far from the router.

Thanks for any advice. I am trying to use what is already there to avoid having to string a CAT5 cable all the way up to my master bedroom.

Yes it will work without DIRECTV service as long as you have an adapter to power the DECA module where the receiver is removed.

In fact DECA was even marketed by SolidSignal last year as an alternative networking solution.

http://www.dbstalk.c...25&d=1298910280

See the entire discussion thread on the subject at the time here;

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=190624

#17 OFFLINE   coho

coho

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

Interesting. The DECA module I have doesn't have an power brick/cord. DO yo know if it is possible to buy just the power connector somewhere?

Thanks,

Coho

[quote name='HoTat2']Yes it will work without DIRECTV service as long as you have an adapter to power the DECA module where the receiver is removed.

In fact DECA was even marketed by SolidSignal last year as an alternative networking solution.

#18 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

Interesting. The DECA module I have doesn't have an power brick/cord. DO yo know if it is possible to buy just the power connector somewhere?

Thanks,

Coho

Sure, for the original DECA (white colored brick) google for the (blue colored) "PS18DER0-03" (called the "PS-18" for short) such as here;

http://www.amazon.co...V/dp/B003ZMH6DO

If you have the newer (black) DECA II module the "official" way of powering it is with two separate parts that may be harder to come by outside the entire kit. The AC adapter itself "EPS10R0-xx" the same as used on the H25 HD receiver, and the DC to RF adapter "DCFR0-xx."

Or you can google for the entire kit "DCA2PR0" such as here;

http://www.wiredatho...h-power-supply/

But personally I don't see why the PS-18 won't work to power both modules .

#19 OFFLINE   Legazy

Legazy

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

Hi everyone, stumbling into this thread I seem to be in the same boat. Moving into a bigger two story home and I need a way to run ethernet over coax to all of the rooms (will save money). If I am understanding this correctly, I would buy the unit mentioned above and replace the adapter that sits behind my router from DirecTv. What does my XBOX/PS3 get on the other side of the house? An adapter or ?

#20 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Registered
  • 480 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hi everyone, stumbling into this thread I seem to be in the same boat. Moving into a bigger two story home and I need a way to run ethernet over coax to all of the rooms (will save money). If I am understanding this correctly, I would buy the unit mentioned above and replace the adapter that sits behind my router from DirecTv. What does my XBOX/PS3 get on the other side of the house? An adapter or ?

Are you going to use the coax for directv boxes also, or just ethernet?
  • Swim LNB
  • HR21-200 Bonus Room
  • HR24-200 Family Room
  • H24-100 Bedroom
  • MRV enabled

spam firewall