Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Adding a DECA to integrate XBOX

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Legazy

Legazy

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

I'm going to be using the DirecTv receivers and the other misc consoles (Xbox, PS3, TV, etc).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   keelay

keelay

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

Works so well i haven't had the chance to move the furniture again to take pictures. So much better than wireless if you play games, or stream movies etc. pleased with the performance. I will update tomorrow with pictures.

#23 OFFLINE   Legazy

Legazy

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

How do you have your gear connected though? Are you also using the DirecTv receivers?

#24 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:20 AM

While it may work it's not going to perform as optimal as a regular network and can cause issues with your DIRECTV service. Overall it's better in the long run to just get a wireless bridge.

http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_sim_e_4

That is a much better solution for what you're wanting to do and it will give you more functionality as you can make it a repeater for your wireless as well.

You could also get http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B00387G6R8 and get higher db antennas if you really have an issue.

If someone does do this here are the instructions to set it up once you have dd-wrt installed.

http://www.dd-wrt.co...Repeater_Bridge

Here's a Ping and Speedtest running a setup similar to this. I'm using an ASUS AC-R66U and the repeater/bridge is a Linksys WRT 320N. This is about 65 feet away with 4 walls and a furnace in between running on a 5ghz channel.

I let the program choose the best servers on both tests and the internet speed is a 50/2.5 connection.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Shades228, 11 December 2012 - 05:37 AM.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#25 OFFLINE   keelay

keelay

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:37 AM

For my application, top speeds are meaningless. I'm interested in the best possible latency, and a wireless bridge is actually working backwards (more hops). So far I've had no issues with dtv working with mrv. Are there any documented cases where it hasn't worked properly?

#26 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

How do you have your gear connected though? Are you also using the DirecTv receivers?

If the gear you want to connect is located near a DVR/receiver that uses an external DECA you can connect like this > http://www.dbstalk.c...506#post3141506

If the DVR at that location has an internal DECA, e.g., HR24, you can split the coaxial line that will feed that DVR with a green label splitter....one leg will go to the DVR and the other will go to a CCK as explained here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...004#post3141004

If you have a dedicated coaxial cable at the location where your other gear is connected, you won't need the splitter.
Vin

#27 OFFLINE   keelay

keelay

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

I'm using a splitter that branches off to my hr24, with a deca connected to my xbox (or switch depending on how you're going to use it). Pics coming tonight! Promise!

#28 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

For my application, top speeds are meaningless. I'm interested in the best possible latency, and a wireless bridge is actually working backwards (more hops). So far I've had no issues with dtv working with mrv. Are there any documented cases where it hasn't worked properly?

Look at the ping rates there is not any additional latency.

There have been many issues that pop up because people modify their DECA clouds.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#29 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

Are you going to use the coax for directv boxes also, or just ethernet?

I'm going to be using the DirecTv receivers and the other misc consoles (Xbox, PS3, TV, etc).

1. if your DVR requires an external DECA, then run the ethernet out to a switch and then run ethernet to your DVR and XBOX/Blu-Ray, etc.

2. If you DVR has internal DECA, then use a green label 1x2 switch and run one COAX to the DVR and then get another DECA/CCK and run the other COAX to the DECA/CCK and then run the Ethernet out to a switch. Then, as above, run Ethernet from switch to DVR, XBOX, etc.

I have both scenarios in the house. In #1, I have a our HR24 with a blu-ray connected (also have open ports on our switch to accommodate the xbox & wii when we want to move one downstairs to allow both to be used at same time). In #2 above, I have a HR21 and external DECA and have our Wii, XBOX and another blu-ray connected.

The only issue that I've seen with this approach and our MRV/WHDVR are that sometimes the Wii doesn't shut off properly and it floods the cloud with packets making WHDVR virtually useless. A quick total power down of the Wii resolves the issue.

We RARELY use WHDVR and Wii/XBOX at the same time, so for us, it works to put that traffic on the DECA cloud.
  • Swim LNB
  • HR21-200 Bonus Room
  • HR24-200 Family Room
  • H24-100 Bedroom
  • MRV enabled

#30 OFFLINE   acer

acer

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:18 AM

that's pretty cool as I had no idea you could do that with the DECA and I worked for them selling equipment for multiple years lol.

Do you mind taking pictures of your setup.

#31 OFFLINE   keelay

keelay

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

I'll post tonight.. Work has been crazy.. And my lady is going out of town tonight. I'll have plenty of time on my hands

#32 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

If the DVR at that location has an internal DECA, e.g., HR24, you can split the coaxial line that will feed that DVR with a green label splitter....one leg will go to the DVR and the other will go to a CCK as explained here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...004#post3141004

Yup, this is basically what I did ....

SWM dish ---> 1x8 Zimwell splitter in basement w/SWM PI
...Coax 1 --> Bedroom --> HR24
...Coax 2 --> Office --> 1x2 splitter (H24 + Broadband DECA connected to DSL router)
...Coax 3 --> Family room --> HR24
...Coax 4 --> Family room --> DECA w/PI --> TRENDnet 8-port gigabit switch:
......Port 1-->Wii
......Port 2-->Sony Blu-Ray player
......Port 3-->Xbox 360
......Port 4-->Apple Airport Express
......Port 5-->Apple TV 2
...Coax 5 --> SWM PI
...Coax 6-8 ... terminated at splitter in basement

I have had *zero* issues and the Airport Express provides full speed wi-fi coverage on first floor.
HR34-700 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-46EX501
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-32EX401
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Samsung LN19A450C1D (only 1 tuner active)

DIRECTV customer since Feb 2002
HD, WHDVR and ICK since Aug 2010
P.I.T.A. since birth :)

spam firewall