Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Manufacturer Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth

Icon

• Administrators
  • 564 posts
  • LocationAlabaster, AL

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

I know that the current HR34 (Genie) is a 700 model manufactured by Pace Micro. I'm just wondering if anyone "in the know" fathoms a time when the HR34 may be made by multiple companies...as is the current HR24 line of HDDVRs. I completely understand that it is unusual and probably irrational of me, but I've become quite attached to my HR24-200 and two H24-200s manufactured by Samsung. I wouldn't mind a time when a HR34-200 became available...if it is even a possibility.

Before you respond, I realize that many, many of you are very happy with your HR34-700. I don't doubt that one bit. I'm not even out of contract for another couple of months anyway. Plus, my current setup is working just fine for me at the moment. This is more of a "just wondering" type of question.

DBSTalk Site Administrator

U-Verse U450 w/Whole Home DVR

Cisco ISB7500 (upgraded to 1TB) >> 32" LG LCD
Cisco ISB7000 >> 60" LG Plasma
Cisco IPN330HD 46" Sharp Aquos LCD
Cisco ISB7005 (Wireless) >> 42" Philips LCD
2Wire/Pace 3801HGV Gateway

LIVESTRONG_logo_small.png - 2 Time Cancer Survivor

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

With the amount of time that has passed since the HR34-700 has come out I don't see another manufacturer for them. Normally when there's another manufacturer the 2nd manufacturer's version comes out fairly quick after the first manufacturer's version.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 564 posts
  • LocationAlabaster, AL

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

With the amount of time that has passed since the HR34-700 has come out I don't see another manufacturer for them. Normally when there's another manufacturer the 2nd manufacturer's version comes out fairly quick after the first manufacturer's version.

That makes sense from one perspective, but on the other hand, it seems that the 34s have been in fairly short supply for some time now (I think that has gotten better though). Most previous models were built by at least 2 manufacturers. Isn't the HR24 made by 4 (100, 200, 500, & 700)? I wonder if there was supposed to be a second manufacturer and that somehow fell apart.

#4 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,263 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

That makes sense from one perspective, but on the other hand, it seems that the 34s have been in fairly short supply for some time now (I think that has gotten better though). Most previous models were built by at least 2 manufacturers. Isn't the HR24 made by 4 (100, 200, 500, & 700)? I wonder if there was supposed to be a second manufacturer and that somehow fell apart.

There is no HR24-700.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#5 OFFLINE   Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 564 posts
  • LocationAlabaster, AL

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

There is no HR24-700.

Ok, well that kind of points to a different kind of move altogether. Maybe they want to move to a single manufacturer per platform. That would definitely make the software side easier. As close as they are to one another, there are definitely differences in the HR24 models by manufacturer as evidenced by software issues that sometimes are only present on a certain model.

Either way, like I said before, this was just kind of a "I wonder" sort of question anyway.

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

Nothing wrong with wondering at all.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   caseyf5

caseyf5

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts
  • LocationBethpage, NY 11714

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

I know that the current HR34 (Genie) is a 700 model manufactured by Pace Micro. I'm just wondering if anyone "in the know" fathoms a time when the HR34 may be made by multiple companies...as is the current HR24 line of HDDVRs. I completely understand that it is unusual and probably irrational of me, but I've become quite attached to my HR24-200 and two H24-200s manufactured by Samsung. I wouldn't mind a time when a HR34-200 became available...if it is even a possibility.

Before you respond, I realize that many, many of you are very happy with your HR34-700. I don't doubt that one bit. I'm not even out of contract for another couple of months anyway. Plus, my current setup is working just fine for me at the moment. This is more of a "just wondering" type of question.

Hello BLWedg09,

I think that the reasoning behind the HR34 being manufactured by only 1 of the potential manufacturers was because it was a "Proof of Concept" model. It also had the C31 client to test out. If you look at the firmware list you will see 2 HR44 models (500 and 700). I think that the HR44 will have 8 tuners and only work with clients and no other receivers or dvr's as there is an 8 tuner limit to SWM 8 or SWM 16 per port. If the HR44 was a 3 tuner model then the HR34 should have been manufactured by a second or even more manufacturers. If and until that 8 tuner restriction is overcome there is no need for more than any model having more than 8 tuners. :scratchin
My setup: 1 HR34/700 DVR no external HD, 1 HR24/500 DVR using WD 2TB Green HD and Antec MX-1 enclosure (used for CE) and 3 H24/700 receivers, 1 SL5 Dish (4 cable), 1 SWM16 Multiswitch, 1 Wired CCK. 1 Whole Home with DECA, 1 Sharp LC-37GP1U TV, 1 Sony Home Theater System HT-CT550W (Soundbar), 1 Impact 6x2 Component Video Matrix (Switcher) and 2 Sewell 1x2 HDMI Splitters with Ethernet, 3D Support and 4Kx2K Resolution with multiple hdmi cables with Ethernet.

#8 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

Hello BLWedg09,

I think that the reasoning behind the HR34 being manufactured by only 1 of the potential manufacturers was because it was a "Proof of Concept" model. It also had the C31 client to test out. If you look at the firmware list you will see 2 HR44 models (500 and 700). I think that the HR44 will have 8 tuners and only work with clients and no other receivers or dvr's as there is an 8 tuner limit to SWM 8 or SWM 16 per port. If the HR44 was a 3 tuner model then the HR34 should have been manufactured by a second or even more manufacturers. If and until that 8 tuner restriction is overcome there is no need for more than any model having more than 8 tuners. :scratchin

The HR34 was most likely built to prove the concept worked before moving it to wireless in the HR44, which will most likely become the default unit installed in most locations.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...