Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV recivers as DLNA client?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mastrauckas

mastrauckas

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

Can Directv receivers receive streaming content from a DLNA server? I thought I remember that it could but I can't find any location that allows me to do it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 614 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

They call this "Media Share".

If networked to your LAN, you get there via Menu | Extras | Music & Photos
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#3 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

And when they say "Music & Photos" they mean "Dont even try to play a video". You'll see all of your shared videos in your Network Homegroup (in your media library, not the ones recorded to your DVR) but it wont play any of them.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

Be forewarned though;

Media Share is a crappy feature;

If it works at all it can only handle MPEG-2 video and MP3 audio files.

So don't expect too much ... ;)

#5 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

Be forewarned though;

I agree..

I use my Playstation 3 on one tv for it and the main tv has WD TV Live that does it plus the Xbox360 as well. Not worth the hassle trying to do it through an HRxx
since 2001

#6 OFFLINE   mastrauckas

mastrauckas

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

Yep, like you guys said it's pretty crappy. I have captured Clemson games on my computer in MPEG4 and M2TS format I've been wanting to watch on my TV. My Blu-Ray player has has DLNA too but it's so slow. Using my Blu-Ray player it's so bad it looking up between every other frame watching MPEG4's. My last chance is XBox 360 so I'll give that a try.

#7 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

If it is something you want to do regularly, I would suggest getting something like the WD TV Live and attaching a hard drive to it. I have found that the 360 chokes on files if they are too big (over 2gb). Anymore I just xfer it to the WD TV live and watch it "locally"
since 2001

#8 OFFLINE   mastrauckas

mastrauckas

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

I can't even use my Xbox because it's on another subnet so it won't work!

It seems like there still a long ways to go for DLNA devices.

#9 OFFLINE   zmancartfan

zmancartfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:10 AM

I had some luck using the free Serviio DLNA server app on the PC side and streaming other file types. It has a built-in profile for DirecTV receivers and can transcode on the fly.

I'm connected through a wireless CCK, though, so the CCK choked on high-bandwidth files like 1080 home videos that play fine on other DLNA devices that I have that are also connected wirelessly but straight to the router. But overall it was better using Servioo than just using the built-in DLNA server from Win7 to the DirecTV boxes.

#10 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

Yep, like you guys said it's pretty crappy. I have captured Clemson games on my computer in MPEG4 and M2TS format I've been wanting to watch on my TV. My Blu-Ray player has has DLNA too but it's so slow. Using my Blu-Ray player it's so bad it looking up between every other frame watching MPEG4's. My last chance is XBox 360 so I'll give that a try.

I doubt the issue is with the BR player itself. DLNA is not a "feature" that any box is blessed or not blessed. It's a certification that can be applied to a BR player when it meets certain criteria. DLNA itself cannot be "too slow". Either your ethernet connection is too slow or the bitrate of the video is too high for your BR player. Since it is a BR player, I doubt it is the latter.

Are you connected wirelessly with the BR player? HD broadcasts often have bitrates that are too high for most wireless connections, especially if they are OTA captures, you'll probably have trouble with any wireless device. Try running the broadcasts through Handbrake and converting them to .mp4 files with bitrates about 2500kbps. If you can stream Netflix, you should be able to stream that.

Edited by smitbret, 03 December 2012 - 11:38 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

Be forewarned though;

+1

You are better off using another DLNA client.

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,363 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

You are better off using another DLNA client.

I would suggest looking into the media players that have native format support as you don't need to fuss with a fancy media server. I use a Patriot Box Office and it handles most formats without need for a streaming media server.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

spam firewall