Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tip: Those on ethernet MRV switching to DECA - No internet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lincolnnellie

lincolnnellie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

I had my HR-34 install with a switch to SWiM and DECA. My install was an hr-34, HR-21, HR-22 and a H-23. I also have a slingbox 500 and a google TV hooked up to the repeater ethernet jacks on the HR-22 and HR-21. After the install was done, we hooked the DECA broadband module up to my network. For full disclosure, I have quite an involved network. 2 cable modems, 3 routers, 2 switches, whole house audio, home automation etc, about 40 devices with IP addresses. Once the DECA broadband module was hooked to the network it instantly halted internet access for anything on the network. My devices using WIFI were dropped from the wifi connection and unable to reconnect. I noticed increased activity as per the router activity lights. Unplugging the DECA broadband module instantly brought internet access back. None of the DVRs were able to connect to the internet with the DECA plugged in. The installer started telling me we would have to reformat all DVRs and I would loose all programming.

Long story short, I decided to disconnect the slingbox and the google tv from the repeater ethernet jacks on the non hr-34 dvrs. That did the trick. For some reason (maybe someone knows why), having anything hooked up to those network ports with SWiM and DECA introduces some major interference throughout the whole network.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,070 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

The Ethernet ports on the HR2X's are not to be used when you're using DECA. You can either use the Ethernet ports OR DECA but not both. Even when using only Ethernet you should only be using port 1.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   lincolnnellie

lincolnnellie

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

Actually, port 2 has worked as a repeater for your Ethernet connection for quite some time now. I used it for years, even with MRV enabled. It only became a problem when I switched to DECA on Saturday.

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

Actually, port 2 has worked as a repeater for your Ethernet connection for quite some time now. I used it for years, even with MRV enabled. It only became a problem when I switched to DECA on Saturday.

It may work but its not a supported setup. That was the point the previous poster was trying to make. DECA and ethernet cannot be used at same time is the other point.

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:04 AM

The issue with using the second ethernet port on the receivers is that there is no bridge built into the HR2x receiver. In that case, the receiver CPU has to handle the processing of the bridging between the two ethernet ports. This can and has been shown to severely affect MRV capabilities of the receivers.

If you really don't mind having other devices within your DECA cloud, which also is not supported, have a switch connected to the DECA that is behind a receiver. The switch is then connected to your receiver and to your other devices that is nearby. Just be aware that having other devices using your DECA cloud has the ability to affect how efficient MRV is.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Protected By... spam firewall...And...