Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How to pay a relatives bill as xmas present?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:50 AM

My Dad has pretty much everything he needs, but on a fixed retirement income, I thought paying part of his bill would be a gift he could use. Is there a way to do that as a present where I can pay it without his advanced knowledge? With privacy, I can't think of how dish would allow that.

I hate the "cash" thing. He gives all of his kids cash. Giving him cash back seems silly to me. I prefer to give something he can have in his hand. Some kind of dish based gift card would work. Maybe a credit to his account or a gift card from Dish?
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,819 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

If you know his Dish account number its simple. Go online and pay it!

But quite frankly I couldn't think of a more sorry excuse for a gift. You want to pay a bill for him , pay his taxes. OH by the way DAD ,I paid your Dish bill. Merry Christmas.

Give the Guy a gift card for crying out loud!

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#3 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

My Dad has pretty much everything he needs, but on a fixed retirement income, I thought paying part of his bill would be a gift he could use. Is there a way to do that as a present where I can pay it without his advanced knowledge? With privacy, I can't think of how dish would allow that.

I hate the "cash" thing. He gives all of his kids cash. Giving him cash back seems silly to me. I prefer to give something he can have in his hand. Some kind of dish based gift card would work. Maybe a credit to his account or a gift card from Dish?

Dish used to have a gift card, but have not seen anything for some time now, and I cannot find anything online. You can pay cash at several locations, but you would at least need the account number in order to do it. You can find locations using this link: http://www.dish.com/...ps/pay-in-cash/

#4 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

You don't need user ID and password to pay online?

Giving someone a gift card is not much different from cash. It means you don't even have the time to find out what they want. And ... giving a man a task of shopping seems cruel! ;-)

He's over 80 and doesn't get around much. He does watch TV quite a bit. I know the cost is getting to be too much. This is something he would actually appreciate. I live about 4 hours away. I try to go see him once a month. He never seems to need anything "consumable". He has plenty of clothes and does not want toys or things that sit on a shelf. Really hard to shop for!

I already sent him a "care package" of meats. I also got him a toy he will use, but yell at me for getting it. ;-) It's an indoor/outdoor weather station. He had one and it broke. He said he misses it. He's stubborn and will not let me get things for him. I know he needs help paying his bills, but will never accept it. The idea of paying online and telling him it's a Xmas gift will make him mad, but I know he'll accept it. And I know he'll have a less stressful year if he doesn't have to worry about having his TV turned off! He may not have very many more years left, so I sneak what I can past him to make his life just a little better. :-)

Oh yeah, I tried paying his taxes a few years ago. He sent the money back. I have since "negotiated" a deal with him to pay some of it in return for using the land once a year. :-p
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#5 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

You don't need user ID and password to pay online?

Unfortunately, you do need both to pay online.

#6 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

Dish can also look up the account number by the phone number. Call Dish and use the phone number to pay by credit card over the phone.

#7 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:13 AM

Call up and give them your dads phone number, they should be able to find the account.
Have the verify the name and address on account just to make sure they got the right account pulled up.

The agent doesnt have to perform account security to make a payment on account as long as you offer a card with your name on it.
As long as you dont ask for specific account info or try to make changes it to it you wont run into any hiccups.

#8 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

What would make this better than a normal gift card might be to pay for a package upgrade. I've thought of getting my mom and dad HBO for example since they can't afford it on there own.

spam firewall