Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Chat Room and missing JAVA Plugin error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,694 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

Saw reference to this in the discussion threads but nobody seemed to desire to post here.

Logging in to the chat room would fail requiring a browser "plugin".

Running Firefox 16.0.2. I downloaded the "plugin" which turned out to be a full JRE and it still didn't work.
(edit to add . . . Exiting the session of FF in which I wrote this post and restarting it bumped me to 17.0.1 (which worked on windUp7 Pro 64 bit (this at work) and not my home machines) but they'll be on this FF rev next time run))

This on an ancient (I think it may have a pull starter) Dell desktop running XP SP3.

I moved upstairs to my new Lenovo H520S (like in its second week of service) with WindUp8 64 bit. Same browser, same issue. I ended up just using my iPad's Safari browser and due to an issue nobody seems to admit to with OSX 6.0.1, my session kept getting dropped. My work around for this is to manually reselect the network, then it is fine. But always bites me first.

Anyhow I saw reference that others were enjoying similar issues noted in the wrong place so here I be.

In posting this, I scanned an old thread from Feb of this year but I'd be hard pressed to imagine both machines were having browser issues unless this version of FF itself is at issue.

Don "only use Internet Exploder when I absolutely have to" Bolton

Edited by lugnutathome, 03 December 2012 - 04:00 PM.
FF update update

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

Mr. Bolton,

So sorry you're still having issues with the chat room. It's not JRE that you need, it's the free Java download from here: http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Several people have reported issues with Java over the years; unfortunately the provider of our chat software seems bound and determined to stay with it. There is an HTML5 version that works in Chrome (and probably other browsers.) You can use the built-in developer tools (or this free extension) https://chrome.googl...djiklpkjnoahfmg

to change the user agent to iPad if you choose. This will let you run the chat software without Java installed. Sadly, the HTML5 version is not as full featured as the Java version.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,694 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

Thanks! This just popped up again this past week and seems to go away just as suddenly. Yeah Since the iPad uses the HTML5 I can attest to some of the niceties missing. But the basic core chat works just fine.

I'll keep this in my hip pocked in case the issue recurs this coming week (or next scheduled CE (whichever comes first)).

update : that worked on the win8 box and it looks like what the XP box went through Friday night. IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP. . . One must exit browser and restart to get the changes though and that is what bit me on the XP box last Fri impatience.

Don "web tools are so simple as a user, but as a developer or admin" Bolton

Mr. Bolton,

So sorry you're still having issues with the chat room. It's not JRE that you need, it's the free Java download from here: http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Several people have reported issues with Java over the years; unfortunately the provider of our chat software seems bound and determined to stay with it. There is an HTML5 version that works in Chrome (and probably other browsers.) You can use the built-in developer tools (or this free extension) https://chrome.googl...djiklpkjnoahfmg

to change the user agent to iPad if you choose. This will let you run the chat software without Java installed. Sadly, the HTML5 version is not as full featured as the Java version.

Edited by lugnutathome, 04 December 2012 - 08:32 AM.

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

spam firewall