Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD cost?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wolfjc

wolfjc

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

I am a Dish sub but I have a friend who is a Direct sub.
He has an HD TV but does NOT have Direct HD service.
I know that with DISH there is a way to avoid paying any thing extra for HD service.
So my question is does Direct have a way to not have to pay extra for HD service?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

If you get a standard definition setup with no HD hardware at all, you can avoid the HD charge. However, it's worth saying that if your friend auto-pays his bill electronically the HD fee will be waived for 2 years.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 843 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

Is DirecTV still offering that discount to new customers? They have been saying that the promotion ended some months ago, though many of us are still getting the discount.

Steve

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

If want a DVR, and want HD, there is an $18 a month surcharge. This is as plain as it can be put. I just recently fell off the 2 yr $10 HD credit. It's far past time they dump this spurious surcharge for what is now standard programming.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#5 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

If want a DVR, and want HD, there is an $18 a month surcharge. This is as plain as it can be put. I just recently fell off the 2 yr $10 HD credit. It's far past time they dump this spurious surcharge for what is now standard programming.

The DVR charge is $8 now?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#6 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

My bill contains 4 $6 receiver charges, one $8 "Advanced HD DVR" charge, and one $10 "HD Access" charge, and one $6 credit for the primary receiver. This is for two DVRs and two HD receivers, down from the 6 (2 and 4) I used to have, also a cost cutting move against the price creeping.

I'm so tired of this, I dropped my package one level, and eliminated the protection plan last week.

The DVR charge is $8 now?

A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#7 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,029 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

For HD DVR and Multi Room View its $20 per month!

If you don't have MRV then its $18
$10 for HD $8 for DVR.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#8 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

I had no idea the DVR charge was that high now.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#9 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

I think some people had three fees on their account: HD $10, DVR $8, MRV $3 = $21

My understanding is that they lumped these smaller individual (but still annoying) charges into the $20 "Advanced Receiver Fee" for new(er) customers, saving a whopping $1.

At least they don't have line item charges on the bill for color and DD 5.1. Yet. ;-)
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#10 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

That's one of the reasons I try as best I can to hold on to my grandfathered Premiere package with the waived DVR charge, but even with that don't know how much longer I can do so with the annual cost increases in other areas.

#11 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,029 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

Yea, I just pay the $20 so I don't see it. But I still get a $10 Autopay Credit. But I think its only for 24 months. Not forever.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#12 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

They keep jerking these spurious fees up, I may just go back to paper billing and paper checks just to add some costs to their end :lol:

#13 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

In fact I actually come to this board with some trepidation at this time because this is usually around the period some subs. start receiving early advance notice of the price increases come February and post them here spoiling the holiday season and precipitating the traditional long "bitch & moan" thread that in the end no one can do anything about except cancel or reduce packages and/or equipment.

#14 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

Folks like myself, for whom TV is not all that important a part of life, there is an upper limit to which this increasingly expensive form of entertainment is worth the cash outlay. Combine that with programming that is increasingly lowest common denominator garbage and one really begins to question spending three figures for it.

Personally, this is the first time in 10 years I have complained about pricing, they have now hit my tolerance limit, and the re-addition of the "HD Access" fee was the last straw.

In fact I actually come to this board with some trepidation at this time because this is usually around the period some subs. start receiving early advance notice of the price increases come February and post them here spoiling the holiday season and precipitating the traditional long "bitch & moan" thread that in the end no one can do anything about except cancel or reduce packages and/or equipment.

#15 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

Folks like myself, for whom TV is not all that important a part of life, there is an upper limit to which this increasingly expensive form of entertainment is worth the cash outlay. Combine that with programming that is increasingly lowest common denominator garbage and one really begins to question spending three figures for it.

Personally, this is the first time in 10 years I have complained about pricing, they have now hit my tolerance limit, and the re-addition of the "HD Access" fee was the last straw.

Yep, totally understand;

We're pretty much at our limit here too. Even with a waived DVR fee, 24 mo. free HD access fee still running, and the unsubscribe/subscribe trick to eliminate the cost of the HD Extra Pack, its still costing us ~$150.00 a mo.

Doubt if we can keep it going in 2013 without significant discount deals.

#16 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

Why lean on discounts? Why not find what's important to you and then look for justification on the cost. If you are willing to spend $100 per month, find the $100 that you care about.
If you want HD, there is a cost. I gladly pay this cost based on the content and quality. I enjoy my TV and use it frequently so I can easily justify the amount I spend on it. The same applies to my internet.
Find justification anytime you spend money. Costs are there, pay them or don't. You're not required to order desert. :)

#17 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

One problem with your words: HD is not dessert these days. Those days were a decade ago.

Why lean on discounts? Why not find what's important to you and then look for justification on the cost. If you are willing to spend $100 per month, find the $100 that you care about.
If you want HD, there is a cost. I gladly pay this cost based on the content and quality. I enjoy my TV and use it frequently so I can easily justify the amount I spend on it. The same applies to my internet.
Find justification anytime you spend money. Costs are there, pay them or don't. You're not required to order desert. :)

Edited by JeffBowser, 05 December 2012 - 07:52 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

How spoiled are we?

Satellite and cable are entirely dessert. Don't want dessert? Throw an antenna on your roof and pick up OTA for free.

I'm pointing at myself as much as anyone, but none of us has to pay anything for television service. It's not water, power, garbage, sewer or groceries. It's just funny how we all feel some sense of entitlement.

#19 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

I just got two HD TV's. I am never going to get the HD service as long as these fees are tacked on. It just smacks of greed to me. I'm not that spoiled that I have to have HD or that perfect picture all the time. I'll just live without it. I have lived without for nearly 50 years. So I guess I can live without for another 30 or 40 years. If DTV can promise me they will waive the fee for me forever I will get it. But until then they can keep it along with their greed ridden fees.

#20 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

I just got two HD TV's. I am never going to get the HD service as long as these fees are tacked on. It just smacks of greed to me. I'm not that spoiled that I have to have HD or that perfect picture all the time. I'll just live without it. I have lived without for nearly 50 years. So I guess I can live without for another 30 or 40 years. If DTV can promise me they will waive the fee for me forever I will get it. But until then they can keep it along with their greed ridden fees.

You're missing out...

spam firewall