Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD cost?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

I just got two HD TV's. I am never going to get the HD service as long as these fees are tacked on. It just smacks of greed to me. I'm not that spoiled that I have to have HD or that perfect picture all the time. I'll just live without it. I have lived without for nearly 50 years. So I guess I can live without for another 30 or 40 years. If DTV can promise me they will waive the fee for me forever I will get it. But until then they can keep it along with their greed ridden fees.

You are indeed missing out!

I understand your frustration with the fees, but it's a bit pertinacious to acquire two new HDTVs in the year 2012 and then refuse to connect them to the optimal type of signal they're designed for, especially when you already subscribe to pay television service. I hope you're at least giving them some OTA locals to see HD some of the time. ;)

When I got my first HD set a few years ago, it took about two days to determine that my old SD TiVo Series 2 wasn't going to cut it any longer.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

How spoiled are we?

Satellite and cable are entirely dessert. Don't want dessert? Throw an antenna on your roof and pick up OTA for free.

I'm pointing at myself as much as anyone, but none of us has to pay anything for television service. It's not water, power, garbage, sewer or groceries. It's just funny how we all feel some sense of entitlement.

Um, free tv is now transmitted in HD.........:nono2:

#23 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

Um, his post doesn't mention anything to the contrary.........:nono2:

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#24 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,483 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

I just got two HD TV's. I am never going to get the HD service as long as these fees are tacked on. It just smacks of greed to me. I'm not that spoiled that I have to have HD or that perfect picture all the time. I'll just live without it. I have lived without for nearly 50 years. So I guess I can live without for another 30 or 40 years. If DTV can promise me they will waive the fee for me forever I will get it. But until then they can keep it along with their greed ridden fees.

But on the flip side, if you didn't have HD TV's, and the HD fee wasn't added on, how would you feel if you couldn't get an SD only discount? And if they did offer an SD only discount, then HD customers would feel that they were paying more, essentially an extra fee, for HD. No matter what, someone won't be happy.

#25 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

There is no such thing as free tv anymore. Pay subscribers are the ones who are subsidizing the local channels now. If every provider stopped carrying locals and made customers get them through OTA the affiliates would go bankrupt. They couldn't live off their commercial revenue alone unless they jacked the cost of advertising up to a degree where most local companies wouldn't be able to do it. They also didn't do this to be nice they did it because it was better for them.

All MMVPD charge for HD in some capacity.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#26 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,487 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

That's one of the reasons I try as best I can to hold on to my grandfathered Premiere package with the waived DVR charge, but even with that don't know how much longer I can do so with the annual cost increases in other areas.

Same thoughts here.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#27 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

What he means is, the traditional majors (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS) can be still be obtained in fantastic HD for nothing more than the cost of hooking up an antenna. Of course pay TV is subsidizing, but that doesn't change the fact that OTA still remains available and free to anyone wanting to pluck it from the air.

There is no such thing as free tv anymore. Pay subscribers are the ones who are subsidizing the local channels now. If every provider stopped carrying locals and made customers get them through OTA the affiliates would go bankrupt. They couldn't live off their commercial revenue alone unless they jacked the cost of advertising up to a degree where most local companies wouldn't be able to do it. They also didn't do this to be nice they did it because it was better for them.

All MMVPD charge for HD in some capacity.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#28 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:09 AM

You are indeed missing out!

I understand your frustration with the fees, but it's a bit pertinacious to acquire two new HDTVs in the year 2012 and then refuse to connect them to the optimal type of signal they're designed for, especially when you already subscribe to pay television service. I hope you're at least giving them some OTA locals to see HD some of the time. ;)

When I got my first HD set a few years ago, it took about two days to determine that my old SD TiVo Series 2 wasn't going to cut it any longer.

The only reasons I bought HD's was that they were at a very good price and it seemed to be about the only choice. I can live without it as long as those fees apply or DTV forces me to do it one day. I suspect someday HD will be the only choice.

#29 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

[quote name='JeffBowser']What he means is, the traditional majors (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS) can be still be obtained in fantastic HD for nothing more than the cost of hooking up an antenna./QUOTE]

Assuming you are close enough to the transmitters to get a good signal on those channels. Even with an amplified rooftop antenna, I can get only two of the major networks with a decent signal.

Steve

My Setup

#30 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

Until someone can show me stats that HD penetration has reached over 50% of the population, or at least of the population that has a tv, then its not standard yet so noone is "entitled" to not pay the premium for it. Currently, I don't believe there is a provider that HD is not considered the premium service line and are in some way charging the customer more for it. Sure some are offering a new customer promotion or as a discount offer for HD, but every provider is charging you extra for it somehow. I don't want to pay it either, but the ridiculousness of having an HD tv and not subscribing to HD service from a provider because you feel it should be included, I have no kind words I can even say to describe it....

#31 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

I would substitute "penetration" with "availability". You know, one can lead a horse to water, etc, etc....

Also, I thought, from conversations up here, that Dish had done away with their version of "HD Access" fee ?

Until someone can show me stats that HD penetration has reached over 50% of the population, or at least of the population that has a tv, then its not standard yet so noone is "entitled" to not pay the premium for it. Currently, I don't believe there is a provider that HD is not considered the premium service line and are in some way charging the customer more for it. Sure some are offering a new customer promotion or as a discount offer for HD, but every provider is charging you extra for it somehow. I don't want to pay it either, but the ridiculousness of having an HD tv and not subscribing to HD service from a provider because you feel it should be included, I have no kind words I can even say to describe it....

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...